PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mice Seymour article by reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, nice piece, read somwhere about their monday nite tradition... glad to see he is assuming a the role of a leader in the clubhouse.

What worries me a bit, is the type of leadership we're missing in the locker room now. I'm not dooming and glooming, but Willie was a vocal leader, and that's not Big Sey's thing. Seymour's leadership style is extremely valuable as well, and certainly a needed influence in the locker room, but I'm concerned that we don't have someone to take over Willie's vocal role in there.

Oh. I just remembered, Rodney's coming back, and hell is coming with him. Nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, good piece (as always from Mike Reiss).

I have a sense of Willie McGinest's "leadership". I think that he was someone who didn't rant and rave but wasn't afraid to say something to a guy he thought wasn't doing what he should in the way that he should -- and that when Willie told you something, you listened good! I don't know if Richard is going to be that kind of a force. But, as TSD points out, there's always Rodney ...

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Oh. I just remembered, Rodney's coming back, and hell is coming with him. Nevermind.

hahaha, LOVE IT!!!!

He won't be bringing HELL in the locker room (unless a rook gets totally out of line)

He will bring leadership. Idon't think anyone will want to say to Rodney- we don't need your advise.

but there are enough guys on both sides of the ball to bring the leadership needed for this team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still looking for the part about the Mice

GJAJ15 said:
I agree, nice piece. glad to see he is assuming a the role of a leader in the clubhouse.

i had the same feeling after i read it.

There are leaders and then their are leaders. We have plenty of the former on each individual unit and as well as Brady overall - it is his team. But he touched on what was different about Willie's leadership. It was old school, the guy who gets your attention just by the way he looks (or doesn't look) at you on your way through a room. And that look crossed all lines. That's the latter type of leader who needs to emerge. As Brady said it's a fine line to be able to discipline and still be their mentor and the guy they go to with a problem, gripe or issue - particularly within individual units. If you're too hard with some guys you risk losing them. It's a lot easier when push comes to shove if that is someone elses job, same as for the coaches and assistant coaches and coordinators - for whom that guy is BB.

Two things stood out to me in this piece. That he mentioned Adam and Willie in the same breath just goes to prove AV was a lot more than a kicker to this team. Leaders are football players, and that is how he was viewed by the coaches and players on this team - a kicker as a core leader.

And how much they want Ty's talent and swagger back in their backfield and their locker room. Ty was strictly a lead by example guy - when the bell rings you are ready to answer it and bring it and you intimidate via your performance on the field. Ty didn't worry about performing, he relished it. And here he balanced listened to coaching with retaining the ability to listen to that little voice that got him to that level to begin with. Everybody in that backfield last year looked indecisive and performed accordingly. Whatever talent and instincts they had were buried under a palpable layer of confusion. That may have been rooted not only in the loss of Rodney and the lack of any other veteran leadership, but in a young DC's desire to protect them by playing ultra conservatively. But once it took hold it was a SOB to shake off. If nothing else bringing Law back would re-inject a healthy dose of swagger to our backfield. Coaches can't teach swagger, just ideally manage it's confidence, as BB did with Ty for 5 seasons. Some players are born with swagger, other develop it by association.

MoLewisrocks said:
That he mentioned Adam and Willie in the same breath just goes to prove AV was a lot more than a kicker to this team. Leaders are football players, and that is how he was viewed by the coaches and players on this team - a kicker as a core leader.
I think he was just mentioning big names that are gone. Somehow I strongly doubt that a Wilfork or a Hobbs would take Vinatraitor too seriously.

MoLewisrocks said:
That he mentioned Adam and Willie in the same breath just goes to prove AV was a lot more than a kicker to this team.
Yeah, Adam was the enforcer in the locker room. Anyone who ignored WMG and Rodney had to deal with Adam. That alone kept the more rowdy troublemakers in line. The fact that we have had no TO-type troublemakers on the team just goes to prove how intimidating Adam was. There is a reason why Corey was trouble with the Bengals but not with the Patriots. He didn't dare get out of line with Adam nearby.

No, I think that Adam was a great kicker, and kept in great shape for a kicker, but he was still a kicker. I cannot imagine anyone on any team looking to their kicker for leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots