PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Miami @ Patriots preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So looking at this board it seems it is hard for fans here to get up for this one. Understandable of course. The Patriots have beaten harder opponents by double digits consistently on the road. Miami is a team that I think will be a good test for the Patriots in key areas and has a lot of things to look at even if one believes it will be yet another double digit win.

#1 The Pats OL vs the Miami front 7 - They may be missing their best run defender but can still get after the passer. Seeing how the OL play in spots during the last 2 weeks this will be interesting to watch. I want to see Solder play mad and handle Wake for most of the game. If the OL lags as it has the last few games Miami could keep it close and you don't want that if you can help it.

#2 Mike Wallace vs Revis - Wallace was probably the only WR this year to really get the better of Revis consistently this year. I want to see them play again and if Revis can win this time. If he can't it might be telling of his ability to cover WRs with Wallace's kind of speed and will indicate to mean if they face a WR that fast in the playoffs maybe putting Revis 1v1 is not the best idea.

#3 Brady vs Miami D - Brady was on fire for a while (19 TDs 0 Ints or something) but has cooled off recently. I want to see him face this talented secondary and play a mistake free game. Hopefully he can get on a streak like that again entering the playoffs. Grimes IMO one of the top 5 CBs in the NFL or just barely outside it. It should provide a good test.

That is all I have for now. What are you interested in (PS: NO INJURIES! )

I want to see NE rush well in this game. And protect Brady from their pass rush (Wake!). I'm really not concerned about NE's defense against MIA's offense.

And have you not read @dikembe's preview? Everyone is up for this game, man!

Revis was in his first game as a Pat when we played Miami the first game of the year. This is week 14 and a whole different ball game

#2 Mike Wallace vs Revis - Wallace was probably the only WR this year to really get the better of Revis consistently this year. I want to see them play again and if Revis can win this time. If he can't it might be telling of his ability to cover WRs with Wallace's kind of speed and will indicate to mean if they face a WR that fast in the playoffs maybe putting Revis 1v1 is not the best idea.

I don't look at anything that happened the first few months as having predictive ability moving forward.

Last edited:
I suspect at a few points in a game, Wallace doesn't even know what sort of route he's going to run after the snap. Might explain Revis' difficulty in "reading" him on certain occasions.

That tannehill is a good runner boy. Hard to play man when he can run so well.

With Tannehill's running ability I'd venture a guess that a spy LB is part of the game plan.

Miami's secondary is depleted. If Brady can get any kind of time, at home, he should light them up.

So looking at this board it seems it is hard for fans here to get up for this one. Understandable of course. The Patriots have beaten harder opponents by double digits consistently on the road.

Such as?

They are 3-3 on the road. Other than Indy I am not sure they have beat harder opponents on the road by double digits. They beat Minnesota and Buffalo by double digits. They also started their season on the road with two double-digit losses (Miami and KC).

That said, I fully expect them to win at home.

I wouldn't discount Miami and more importantly I hope the Pats don't. Their defense can be very disruptive and their QB is very athletic so as much as I hope for a comfortable win, you have to expect Miami's best. They are not out of it but they do have to win out most likely to have a chance to make the playoffs so they should be the more desperate team.

As far as matchups, I think we'll see Wake vs. Volmer more since Wake plays mostly at LDE while Vernon will matchup against Solder. These are the 2 most critical battles that will correlate to success.

We'll probably see another controlled pass rush and not like the one we saw against Rivers but this is Tannehill and he's not as accurate as others so make him play from the pocket. Plus adding Siliga to the rotation gives them 4 DT's to rotate so they should be fresh. If Chandler plays, all the better.

I like Revis on Wallace, Arrington on Landry, Browner on Hartline/Clay. It was interesting to see McCourty drop down on Gates and single him. so maybe we see some of that here too. Put Tannehill in 3rd and more than 5 and Pats should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes