PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

mgteich's June 9 Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
So would you be willing to wager on Caldwell being a Patriot this season? The fact remains that this illogic does not hold true. If it did, Heath Evans, among others, would not be Patriots this year.

I don't see understand your Heath Evans connection but then again, apparently our definitions of logic are very different. So how is the weather over there in Bizzaro World? Is it true that it really rains cats and dogs over there?

It's just different with WR's. The nature of their position demands that they not only be playmakers but first and foremost they must be reliable.

Otherwise you end up becoming just like the Seattle Seahawks. Tons of talent but always finding a way to lose the big games, usually b/c one of their talented wideouts found a way to drop the ball.

We won three Super Bowls with unspectacular talent at the WR position but the one thing our WR's did well was catch the ball, especially in big spots.

Who cares, at the end of the day its not our call. Enough talent has been brought in for me to comfortably say that if Caldwell makes this team, he'll have earned it. Belichick knows what he's doing. If he has confidence in Reche, then I'll learn to as well.

But as far as roster predictions go, I still say Caldwell is facing an uphill battle and YES, part of that is b/c Belichick remembers his meltdown in the AFC Championship Game.

Last edited:
If the Pats are relying on Caldwell and/or Gaffney to make important endzone catches in the playoffs, I'll be watching Heidi. This duty goes to Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Watson and maybe Thomas. If the main 4 don't get it done, whether they keep C or G will not matter. These two are more geared towards the regular season grind where they have both proven themselves. I like Gaffney because he runs crisper routes, and is probably a better deep ball threat. I like Caldwell because he's durable/tough, seems to block better and gets better YAC. So take your pick. Which one will serve the Pats better during the reg saeson?

PS...I wish we had seen a season's worth of Gaffney to make deciding easier.

I don't see understand your Heath Evans connection but then again, apparently our definitions of logic are very different. So how is the weather over there in Bizzaro World? Is it true that it really rains cats and dogs over there?.

Ad hominem. An extremely lame one, at that.

If you don't understand the Evans connection, you should go back and watch the AFCCG. Multiple times, if need be.

But as far as roster predictions go, I still say Caldwell is facing an uphill battle and YES, part of that is b/c Belichick remembers his meltdown in the AFC Championship Game.

Everything we've seen and heard says differently.

If you don't understand the Evans connection, you should go back and watch the AFCCG. Multiple times, if need be.

Watch the AFCCG again? Now that's just being cruel. Have you no soul?

Everything we've seen and heard says differently.

Of course Belichick says positive things. Has he ever done otherwise? That means absolutely nothing. BB views his opinions as private. His responsibility is to his players and to the team. What would be the point in throwing a player under the bus? Other coaches might disclose their personal thoughts on one of their players to the media but that's something you'll NEVER see or hear Belichick do.

Even after he cuts players, he has nothing but positive things to say publicly.

I swear, it's like some of you people haven't learned anything these last few years. Congratulations!!! You are now a perfect candidate to be hired by the Boston Globe.

Those boobs don't have a clue either...

);p

Caldwell chokes under pressure and his play suffers

Gaffney thrives under pressure and he plays better

This is a fact.

So if quarterback A throws an interception in a playoff game and quarterback B doesn't, quarterback A is a "choker" and quarterback B is "clutch?"

I hope you don't try to ridiculously extrapolate things like that in real life. Makes you look pretty bad, if you ask me.

this is correct.

He is a liability.

Nobody on this site will be comfortable watching Reche on the field in another big playoff game.. that is the truth. i don't care what anyone says, if they deny it they are lying.

unfortunately, this point is ignored over and over and over again...

Speak for yourself.

I hope you don't try to make assumptions like that in real life. Makes you look pretty bad, if you ask me.

I never said it was about damning a player over one mistake. But the truth is that in order to become a "special" team, one must comprise their roster of "special" players. Players who possess what is commonly referred to as "it".

Then who do you want who is "special?" Tory Holt? Steve Smith?

You have to draw the line somewhere. And Reche Caldwell is easily the best #4/5 WR in the NFL.

Whether it was just one play or just one game is irrelevant. Everybody makes mistakes from time to time. The issue is WHY did they make the mistakes they made. Not all flaws are created equal. Off all the reasons to make a mistake, the one reason that can't be allowed or accepted is inability to handle pressure. Championship caliber teams play in pressure packed games. That's never going to change.

We've all been lucky enough to enjoy three championship seasons b/c the our roster has been comprised of money players. Players who look forward to the big moments in the big games.

Great. Let's bring Rick Lyle back. Maybe Charles Johnson would like an invite too. They were on a championship roster, so they must be "clutch," right?

The day we start settling or accepting players who are afraid or overwhelmed by those big moments is the day this dynasty ends.

What are you trying to get at here? That because Reche opens his eyes wider than most he must be overwhelmed by big moments? That because he dropped a pass when Brady didn't have the awareness to look over in time?

Again, like Keegs and others, you're trying to make a RIDICULOUS extrapolation here. Because Reche dropped a pass in the playoffs it means he is "afraid or overwhelmed by big moments?"

Give me a ******* break.

If you want to be a special team you've got to have special players. If you want your team to have "it", your players must have "it''.

You do a pretty good job of defining "it." I'm sure BB has the definition of "it" scrawled across his office wall. I'm sure that's why Reche was cut a long time ago, long before the 2006/7 playoffs.

Wait...

But I will tell you what Reche does have, straight from Belichick's mouth:

Bill Belichick, Patriots All-Access, WCVB, Week 5 of the 2006 NFL Season:

"That was one of the most vicious hits I've seen in my entire career. I was really concerned about him [Caldwell], but by the time I got out there, he had already started to come to, and boy, on the sideline, he was ready to go back in. What a competitive, courageous player he is. I haven't seen too many hits like that. I haven't seen anybody come back from anything close to that as quickly as he did, and boy, he was ready to go. He really wanted to get back in there, and he did, and caught the ball, and blocked. Boy, he's got some real toughness.

Bill Belichick, press conference, Gillette Stadium, December 1, 2007:

"BB: Reche has worked hard. He's a hard-working kid. There's no doubt about his work ethic. It's very good. He's done a lot of things all year really. He's been, all the way through training camp, a playmaker in camp on the field, whether it be in practice or in games. He's shown up making plays a lot and I think, obviously, the more that a quarterback and a receiver work together, the better it is. It isn't like it took months for it to happen. I can remember seeing it out there in training camp a lot of practices. We had a hard time defensively covering him."

Reche Caldwell doesn't have it and he most likely never will. He's a talented guy capable of many good things but he belongs on the Buffalo Bills or the Seattle Seahawks, not the New England Patriots.

That's exactly why Reche Caldwell has been on Patriots for 15 months now, courtesy of Belichick and Pioli - who I might just trust a bit more than "PYPER."

Good call.

That's my opinion. I don't wish anything but the best for Reche Caldwell but keeping him on this team is a bad recipe for a whole lot of heartache.

Oh and by the way, try not to skip your meds anymore.

);p

I'll leave it up to BB to make the decisions, thank you very much.

I don't see understand your Heath Evans connection but then again, apparently our definitions of logic are very different. So how is the weather over there in Bizzaro World? Is it true that it really rains cats and dogs over there?

It's just different with WR's. The nature of their position demands that they not only be playmakers but first and foremost they must be reliable.

Otherwise you end up becoming just like the Seattle Seahawks. Tons of talent but always finding a way to lose the big games, usually b/c one of their talented wideouts found a way to drop the ball.

We won three Super Bowls with unspectacular talent at the WR position but the one thing our WR's did well was catch the ball, especially in big spots.

Who cares, at the end of the day its not our call. Enough talent has been brought in for me to comfortably say that if Caldwell makes this team, he'll have earned it. Belichick knows what he's doing. If he has confidence in Reche, then I'll learn to as well.

And the fact that the AFC Championship was in January and today is June 10 doesn't speak volumes to you? BB could have cut Caldwell without ANY financial implication after that game. And he didn't.

Seems you're lying through your teeth with that second-to-last paragraph already.

Watch the AFCCG again? Now that's just being cruel. Have you no soul?

You're doing a fine job of dodging the valid comparison and attacking JackBauer.

PYPER said:
Of course Belichick says positive things. Has he ever done otherwise? That means absolutely nothing. BB views his opinions as private. His responsibility is to his players and to the team. What would be the point in throwing a player under the bus? Other coaches might disclose their personal thoughts on one of their players to the media but that's something you'll NEVER see or hear Belichick do.

Even after he cuts players, he has nothing but positive things to say publicly.

I swear, it's like some of you people haven't learned anything these last few years. Congratulations!!! You are now a perfect candidate to be hired by the Boston Globe.

Those boobs don't have a clue either...

);p

Bull****. We all know Belichick is the master at dodging questions. He could have very easily given one of his non-answers to any questions about these players. But he didn't. He went out of his way to praise them, and that means something.

So if quarterback A throws an interception in a playoff game and quarterback B doesn't, quarterback A is a "choker" and quarterback B is "clutch?"

I hope you don't try to ridiculously extrapolate things like that in real life. Makes you look pretty bad, if you ask me.

no...... I'm not sure where you got that. I also don't understand why people aren't allowed to put words in your mouth, but you can do that to whomever you please on this site... but that's another whole issue.

That's a terrible comparison... which seems to be the trend lately in the caldwell threads.. a definite sign of desperation.

Please explain to me EXACTLY what this comparison means, and how it applies to Caldwell and Gaffney.

then i'll discuss with you.

Last edited:
no...... I'm not sure where you got that. I also don't understand why people aren't allowed to put words in your mouth, but you can do that to whomever you please on this site... but that's another whole issue.

That's a terrible comparison... which seems to be the trend lately in the caldwell threads.. a definite sign of desperation.

Please explain to me EXACTLY what this comparison means, and how it applies to Caldwell and Gaffney.

then i'll discuss with you.

You're taking two microscopic play samples, essentially a drop by Caldwell and a catch by Gaffney, carelessly separating them from their total body of work, and using it to fund a broad overstatement.

You're taking two microscopic play samples, essentially a drop by Caldwell and a catch by Gaffney, carelessly separating them from their total body of work, and using it to fund a broad overstatement.

This entire pro-caldwell side is guilty of comparing Gaffney and Caldwell's regular seasons like they are equal when they aren't. Caldwell went through everything, Gaffney came on Oct 10th, and only started 6 regular season games. Your entire side is guilty of ignoring this... over and over and over.

And once again you are putting words in my mouth, Pats1. I never focused on the one drop, and the one td catch. Caldwell was outperformed in every playoff game by Jabar Gaffney. That is a fact. Even in the San Diego game, when Reche caught the nice pass at the end, Jabar still had a superior game. But the 2 huge drops are important. There is no denying that.

This entire pro-caldwell side is guilty of comparing Gaffney and Caldwell's regular seasons like they are equal when they aren't. Caldwell went through everything, Gaffney came on Oct 10th, and only started 6 regular season games. Your entire side is guilty of ignoring this... over and over and over.

Gaffney was cut in the first week of September. He was also a free agent earlier in the offseason. Don't you think if he was the next Jerry Rice the Pats would have signed him earlier?

And once again you are putting words in my mouth, Pats1. I never focused on the one drop, and the one td catch. Caldwell was outperformed in every playoff game by Jabar Gaffney. That is a fact. Even in the San Diego game, when Reche caught the nice pass at the end, Jabar still had a superior game. But the 2 huge drops are important. There is no denying that.

Right. So if Caldwell has a catch or two less than Gaffney in a playoff game (which only happened twice out of three games), that automatically makes him a worse playoff performer?

Give me a break. You continue to backtrack on your words, all the while making foolish extrapolations. Don't you think there was a little something behind Caldwell having a catch or two less than Gaffney? You know, like teams focusing on him more than Gaffney as a #1 WR?

I have the same number of linebackers as we usually have: nine. If there is no free agent, then I have Alexander as the #6 linebacker. I have three linebackers making the team as STer's: Woods, Mays and Izzo. The total is nine, just like always.

If we find this free agent, my guess is that Alexander is the odd man out.

I think that Lua has a long way to go to make the 53-man squad, although it could happen.

Only six linebackers? Wouldn't that be an all time low on this team? That is just not enough for a 3-4 defense.

And who is "veteran free agent" you are talking about? It sounds nice but it doesn't seem like there is anyone out there worth signing. Do you have any names in mind or is it just wishful thinking?

I have the same number of linebackers as we usually have: nine. If there is no free agent, then I have Alexander as the #6 linebacker. I have three linebackers making the team as STer's: Woods, Mays and Izzo. The total is nine, just like always.

I think that Lua has a long way to go to make the 53-man squad, although it could happen.

If Lua shows any ability whatsoever I'd rather keep him than Izzo.

I know. Most here would rather have a 7th rounder than a top Ster. It's been that way for years. Most posters have had Izzo gone for three years.

If Lua shows any ability whatsoever I'd rather keep him than Izzo.

Good point - an oversight on my part.

Am I the only one who thinks Washington pretty much sucks and that the rook (Meriweather) would make a hell of a gunner? Also, Alexander sticks and LeKevin gets cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back