Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mets get Santana, Sox and Yanks keep prospects

Discussion in 'Red Sox Fan Forum' started by NE_PATS_FAN_54, Jan 30, 2008.

1. NE_PATS_FAN_54

NE_PATS_FAN_54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +53 / 3 / -1

#70 Jersey

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3221258&name=law_keith
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

The Twins got so hosed. They should have taken Hughes when they could have. Thankfully they didn't. The Yankees screwed themselves too though. They should have did the deal for Kennedy, Melky, plus that was allegedly offered (if it was). I have to think it was since the Mets package is GROSS. From the Sox perspective, any deal they offered was superior to the Mets' too.
  3. groundgame

groundgame Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It looks like the Twins were going to deal Santana out of the AL unless the Red Sox or Yankees severly overpaid, which they did not. Advantage Red Sox, because the Achilles heel of the Yankees continues to be elite starting pitching.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Have the Mets extended him yet? I heard of this deal yesterday morning, so the 72 hour window is 1/2 closed. I'm wondering how a certain Pitcher who constantly carries on about not getting enough respect will react to a better rooster in the hen house? Santana says he won't waive his no-trade once spring training starts. If the Mets can't sign him long-term the Twins' asking price will take another big hit.
  5. Cityofchampions33

Cityofchampions33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think it's more they wanted to deal him to the NL, and the margin between the packages wasn't big enough to reject the Met's deal.
  6. Cityofchampions33

Cityofchampions33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think it's more they wanted to deal him to the NL, and the margin between the packages wasn't big enough to reject the Met's deal.
  7. Cityofchampions33

Cityofchampions33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

8. Chubzilla

Chubzilla Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

id rather taken chances with Hughes, Kennedy and chamberlain than deal one of them away and pay 150 million to santana. Starting pitching isn't going to be a problem for the yanks anymore, not with pitching well they have stockpiled in the minors. I expect alan Horne and delan betances to become the next two top rated prospects for the yanks
  9. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

f-ck the yankees :rolleyes:.you must be lost .
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

Betances is a kid they're really, really high on. He's raw, but he has a chance to be extremely special.
  11. TomBrady'sGoat

TomBrady'sGoat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Money is no concern for the Yankees, especially with the guys they have coming off of the books in the next couple years along with the new stadium. So let's remove that from the discussion.

As a Sox fan I am thrilled that NY will be sending out Chamberlain, Hughes, and Kennedy for the next 5-6 years rather than Santana + two of them (Kennedy doesn't even belong in the discussion with the other guys). Santana is the best pitcher in baseball, and could have given NY 200+ innings this year rather than the 150-180 each of the kids will.

Of course the flip side of this is that I wanted to see him in a Sox uniform and won't.

Starting pitching will still be a problem for the Yanks this year, and don't be so sure it won't be in the future either. Young pitchers can't give you a heavy workload, often struggle, and get hurt. Of course, with Schilling going down the Sox may experience some of the same issues.