Welcome to PatsFans.com

'Merry Christmas' sign ordered taken down in Andover

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Dec 3, 2009.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -1

#91 Jersey

Bah humbug.. goes political correctness.

'Merry Christmas' sign ordered taken down in Andover | Breaking News - MassLive.com -

NDOVER – An annual “Merry Christmas” sign on a North Andover fire station has been ordered removed.

Town officials told firefighters last week to take down the homemade sign after they said people complained.

Fire Chief William Martineau said Monday that the sign was made by firefighters about 50 years ago and never had been an issue before.

The order comes a week after selectmen voted to allow a menorah display on the town common for only one day instead of all eight days of Hanukkah. They said a new town common policy only allows displays to stay up for one day, no matter what they are.

Town Manager Mark Rees said the town’s public buildings should not be displaying things specific to a particular religion.

For more information log onto the Web site of the Eagle-Tribune of Lawrence.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

It happens every year now just more "Ball Busting Loon Sh!t"

Merry CHRISTmas.

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +573 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

And that's exactly WHY it happens, HarryBoy. A whole lot of people do not believe in Christ. They have just as many rights as those that do.

How simple is "Happy Holidays," instead? Christians know it's Christmas time - no one's denying them their right to celebrate it as they see fit in the privacy of their own homes or churches, they're just asking not to be repeatedly and forcefully included - why the burning need to shove it down everyone else's throat?

Truthfully, it's not very CHRISTlike to insist on doing so.

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +573 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

And another thing..........

A firehouse is a government building. Christians want the government to keep out of allowing any type of government funding to be used for abortions - they want no government interference in their schools, their hospitals, their pharmacies, etc. Fine. Separation of church and state and all that - but the flip side is, there should be no religious interference in government, either. Which means - no displays of one religion or another allowed on governmental grounds.

Turn about is fair play. You can't lobby for one without allowing for the other.

5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's just another example of the tyranny of the extreme minority. The town probably got one single complaint and caved like a bunch of pussies.

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +533 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

I'm agnostic with a strong lean to atheist BUT IT'S STILL CHRISTMAS to the vast majority here. We can't piss on everyone just because a few are over sensitive. There's no rights violation in a sign that says Merry Christmas, it's not like banning other religions. I won't buy cards that don't say Merry Christmas despite my already stated belief. It is ridiculous, this country needs to grow the F up.

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +573 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

One in four is not an "extreme minority."

Last I heard Christians made up roughly 75% of the American population - a majority, yes, but not enough of a majority to make everyone else part of an "extreme minority." It means that for every 4 people passing a Christmas display, one of them doesn't share the sentiment.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +573 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Read the article, BelchickFan. It clearly states that they have a rule which allows religious displays to remain up for only one day. They disallowed the 8 day display of the Menorah already.

So no, they aren't "banning other religions," they are simply insisting that ALL religions follow the same set of guidelines.

What's the problem there?

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +533 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

No it doesn't, you don't have to be a Christian to like Christmas. I'm not but I do. And I wish others a Merry Christmas.

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +533 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

I'm not arguing about whether they followed the rule, just what it should be. This country is going downhill so fast it's sad. It's Christmas to the vast majority, deal with it. No one's forcing you be be Christian or believe in their God.

11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -1

#91 Jersey

I grew up about 3-4 hundred yards from the synagogue, a good deal of my friends were Jewish. I remember at this time of the year when i was in elementary school everyone would talk about Christmas and Hanukkah and the gifts they got. In fact even though we went to Kirtland Elementary school (public) we were taught about the desecration of the temple and oil lasting eight days for the rededication. It seemed we went over both holidays almost yearly. I can still remember sitting at my desk in awe when ever i heard about the oil lasting eight days when i think it was suppose to last one. Again we we're taught that in a public school. That would NEVER happen today because of................Political Correctness

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

Its amazing that people think like she does. It's kinda sad actually. People like her go around looking for reasons to whiz on others, in the name of satisfying their own misery.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

Politcal Correctness needs to die an immediate death flex.

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Reference, please?
    No, I meant the "extreme minority" of people who get their panties in a bunch over a sign that says "Merry Christmas". I'm not Jewish but I wouldn't complain if there was a Menorrah or a "Happy Hanukkah" sign on town square.

Funny how all these people who can't live with a Merry Christmas sign in front of them get awfully quiet when it comes to having a day off from work. Do you think Christmas should be a national holiday? According to your logic it shouldn't be.

15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. Just look at what is going on in Chelmsford. They weren't satisifed with banning all references to religion and Santa Claus. They actually banned candy canes, stockings and the colors red and green from their holiday fair.

Let me say that again to those who missed it the frist time: You cannot wrap things in or include red and green styled tissue paper at the holiday fair. Talk about the inmates running the asylum.

16. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Worse.......... move it over to social issues and see what happens...... I don't like seeing two gay guys making out in public or humping on stage ** but if I say "Gee, that's offensive to me"........ I'm the A-hole that's intolorant and homophobic and will get screamed at in here by a certain crowd in here.

But of course, the moment 1 person says "Gee, seeing that Christmas tree offends me", those same people IMMEDIATELY demand that it gets taken down. That kind of hypocrisy make this all one big fat JOKE.

** - For the record...... I get equally annoyed when heterosexual people do that in public too. I'm not a big fan of "over the top" public displays of affection for any group. I'm fine with whatever in private, or even a kiss of hand-holding.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +573 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Ya know what, Dude, you don't know anything about me...and I am not anyone's *****, either, so whoever's riding that horse (I believe it was PFinEaglesLand) oughta get off it pretty quick.

All I did here was offer a different vision than the one being tossed around. I never even said it was "my" vision but perhaps no one here is capable of seeing two sides of a story, any story, much less one which rains on their particular parade.

What the hell is so difficult about the concept of keeping religious stuff out of government stuff????? Every last one of you is all about the constitution whenever it suits you but let someone actually try to live up to something it says and you resort to name calling and personal attacks.

Probably because you know you don't have a leg to stand on since it's such a childish response to something you aren't capable of dealing with in any other manner.

18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We all know what you're doing. Don't worry, you're not fooling anyone. You're engaging in the gutless cop outs of liberalism. The old argument that "Well I'm not saying I hate Christmas, I'm just saying we should take the sign down to respect the 0.01% of the population who does even though 99.99% of the people either approve of it or just don't care."

19. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -1

#91 Jersey

I'm afraid it won't RW, its been getting worse for the last twenty years. Over all i thing PC has a negative effect on society. Here's a small example, as you know in many areas when kids play sports these days neither team wins its always a draw..don't want to hurt anyone's feeling's. But childhood is a time to learn, when these same kids get older they are going to lose at something whether they don't get accepted to the collage they want, lose out on a job oppertunity to someone else, or get divorced. Losing takes different forms and people have to learn how to cope, that you're not going to lose all the time. More than likely it will be 50/50 win and lose, yet the same ideals that shelter kids sets them back. When i grew up you won and you lost and you learned that you'd win again just percervier. There a very rarely ties in the adult world.This is just one Minor example of PC ness being taken to far IMO.

PC causes subjects to be avoided instead of being brought out in the open and resolved.

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +573 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

America becoming less Christian, survey finds - CNN.com

I have no problem with it simply because it's traditional at this point - but I also think that Jews should get their holidays off with pay as should Muslims and anyone else who has a religious day of observance. Some companies give them, some don't.

Before I remarried and moved to Va. and when my kids were small we'd celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve - if I was one of the ones to have Christmas day off at the hospital (where holidays were rotated between employees) that year I would volunteer Christmas day to work the ambulance and the truck at the fire station for whoever needed the day for religious reasons more than I did since I was an unobservant Catholic. My children understood that we were more than fortunate to have as much as we had and were graceful about having mom gone for the better part of the day and night in order for the community to be protected. Most of the other volunteers were Jewish men - also givng back to their community and also allowing their fellow firefighters time at home with their families on an important day to them.

It's too bad more people don't work together like that, isn't it? Those were some of the best years of my life - and most of it was due to the respect and cooperation between different religions and cultures.

Seems to be lacking here somehow.