PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Merriweather's role this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a Eugene Fan! Anyone remember when he absolutely decked Putzier on the broncos? Eugene is a hard hitter for a relatively smaller defender. I hope he plays well this year.

While Geno has had his share of beatdowns, I recall that Putzier hit to be the work of one Asante Samuel.

My guess is that he'll start at FS. His 4.52 40 would, as patchick suggests, probably rule him out playing corner on a full time basis. Why not start him as soon as possible? That might not be week one but it could be in the first month. . Taking him in the first round is hardly a vote of confidence for Eugene, is it? Eugene may have a shot at one of the corner spots, though.

The patriots have had a lack of depth at corner before and never even tried to put him at cornerback. that may tell us something about how they feel he can play the position. perhaps he's too slow and/or lacks instincts?

My guess is that he'll start at FS. His 4.52 40 would, as patchick suggests, probably rule him out playing corner on a full time basis.
Tell that to Asante Samuel's slow 40's.
Why not start him as soon as possible? That might not be week one but it could be in the first month. . Taking him in the first round is hardly a vote of confidence for Eugene, is it? Eugene may have a shot at one of the corner spots, though.
I agree, start the kid!

Last edited:
While Geno has had his share of beatdowns, I recall that Putzier hit to be the work of one Asante Samuel.

That's because it was Asante. As you said Eugene has put some hits down, and he did have one really good hit against those same Broncos back in 2003 when the Patriots beat them in the regular season.

Last edited:
I hope Meriweather is playing nickel, and backup FS. Understand that if Samuel really comes back, there will likely be no few reps at CB for Meriweather.

Wilson should be ready to start in his contract year. We should be set at SS with Harrison and Sanders.

Last edited:
I hope Meriweather is playing nickel, and backup FS. Understand that if Samuel really comes back, there will likely be no few reps at CB for Meriweather.

Wilson should be ready to start in his contract year. We should be set at SS with Harrison and Sanders.

I said it when I was hoping NE would select him, and I'll still say I think Meriweather will be a better Safety than Wilson ever was.

The patriots have had a lack of depth at corner before and never even tried to put him at cornerback. that may tell us something about how they feel he can play the position. perhaps he's too slow and/or lacks instincts?

Ah. I hadn't thought of that. I had it in my head that he got switched to FS after starting as CB. My bad.

Ideally, Marriweather is our #5 defensive back. He should play the nickel, and be the primary backup at corner plus both safety positions.

Should Samuel hold out, I think Scott will start for the first month or two, with Meriweather working into more reps as the season progresses.

This makes about as much sense as anything right now, we do know he is versatile.. but we do not know if he has enough game speed to cover the quick guys.. even with Samuel out, we have enough guys to bring him along slowly and not rush him.

Perhaps he's thinking of the hit in the game at Gillette against the Cowboys for which Geno got fined, but which was, in fact, perfectly legal (if brutal).

I'm pretty sure the plan is to convert him to a TE.
I was thinking RG myself...I could have sworn Dante Scarnecchia was looking him over prior to the draft...:confused:

I was thinking RG myself...I could have sworn Dante Scarnecchia was looking him over prior to the draft...:confused:

His lack of height concerns me a little. Additionally, I'm not sure he has the mobility for pulling and trapping. He might be more suited to centre.

His lack of height concerns me a little. Additionally, I'm not sure he has the mobility for pulling and trapping. He might be more suited to centre.
Perhaps, but we Yanks have no position to correspond with "centre" on the team...:D

Perhaps, but we Yanks have no position to correspond with "centre" on the team...:D

OK, I forgot how stupid you all are (apart from the assorted military personnel, federal law enforcement and tactical officers on here, who are very intelligent and not at all scary.). "senner" it is! :D

Last edited:
He will have a hard time jumping in to this secondary.

Until injuries hit, as they usually do. For that reason BB will try him in training camp in the secondary unless he is showing signs that he just isn't getting his primary responsibilities and is overwhelmed. Following how much they try him in the secondary will give us a good read on his progress adapting to the team in general.

I'm thinking there's a good possibility he'll line up as a blocking quarterback in trick goal-line situations.

People overlook our complicated defensive scheme if they think Meriweather's going right into the starting lineup.

Look for nickle and dime back situations first, followed by some reps giving CBs and S a break for a play or two.

Barring injury I don't expect him to be a starter this season.

People overlook our complicated defensive scheme if they think Meriweather's going right into the starting lineup.

Look for nickle and dime back situations first, followed by some reps giving CBs and S a break for a play or two.

Barring injury I don't expect him to be a starter this season.

Eugene Wilson went right in and started as a rookie and didn't look to bad either. There's been other's as well. We'll see what happens, but I'm saying I think he's going to be a starter at some point this season (unless he's injured).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back