PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Merriman

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure this will win 'Most popular post of the year" but better to leave no rock unturned...

What if the Patriots traded for Merriman? Calm down, take it easy...

I don't think there would be a need to sign him to an extension, let him play as a motivated final year of contract guy. if he does well then use the franchise tag to keep him here (assumes they don't need to use the tag for Brady). With 7 picks in the first two rounds over the next two years the Patriots can afford to take chances.

Shawne Merriman

According to beat writer Kevin Acee, restricted free agent Shawne Merriman could be had "for the right price" this offseason.

Per Acee, it's a price only GM A.J. Smith knows at this point. The Chargers have been reluctant to lock up Merriman ever since his torn LCL and PCL two summers ago. Smith drafted Merriman's replacement in Larry English last April, so he'll be open to draft-weekend offers from interested teams.

Personality aside, does anybody really know what player Merriman is today? I suspect that the reasons they're the Chargers are willing to dump him are the same reasons other teams aren't beating down their door.

I would not be on board for this one. For one, he hates the Patriots with a passion and probably couldn't even stomach the thought of playing for Belichick, who would not put up with his asinine look-at-me antics. More importantly, it's looking more and more like we can chalk his scary production up to PEDs, and he may never be the same without the aid of them, especially considering his injuries.

There are a plethora of very high ceiling pass rushers in this draft, and most have red flags, such as character concerns or injury woes. Some will drop, and we will have the opportunity to pick from some combination of Sapp, Dunlap, JPP, Hardy, Kindle, Griffen, etc. somewhere in rounds 1 or 2. [If we want, the most prudent thing might be to take Selvie, Lane or Lang in rounds 3-4]. I'd rather take a guy fresh out of college with character or injury concerns than a well-established pro. At least with Dunlap or Kindle, for instance, you feel like you could mold him, and he can put his trangression(s) behind him.

I would not be on board for this one. For one, he hates the Patriots with a passion and probably couldn't even stomach the thought of playing for Belichick, who would not put up with his asinine look-at-me antics. More importantly, it's looking more and more like we can chalk his scary production up to PEDs, and he may never be the same without the aid of them, especially considering his injuries.

There are a plethora of very high ceiling pass rushers in this draft, and most have red flags, such as character concerns or injury woes. Some will drop, and we will have the opportunity to pick from some combination of Sapp, Dunlap, JPP, Hardy, Kindle, Griffen, etc. somewhere in rounds 1 or 2. [If we want, the most prudent thing might be to take Selvie, Lane or Lang in rounds 3-4]. I'd rather take a guy fresh out of college with character or injury concerns than a well-established pro. At least with Dunlap or Kindle, for instance, you feel like you could mold him, and he can put his trangression(s) behind him.

I have no idea what he has left, likely not much but still I think he could give the Patriots more next year than almost any college player would. Down the road it is a different story, in most cases it takes college player a several years to develop (assuming they don't fizzle out completely). The Pats could end up with a good player, under control for a cheap price. or they could end up with a JAG that doesn't improve the team at all. My perspective is that college players are overrated and most won't have any impact on the team. I also side in the WOW camp, ie. Get Brady his Rings!

As far as Merriman disliking NE, read this transcript, he mentions BB and Brady.
NFL Live Chat

The guy is a flake, his tune would change in two seconds if he were traded here.

I am sure this will win 'Most popular post of the year" but better to leave no rock unturned...

What if the Patriots traded for Merriman? Calm down, take it easy...

I don't think there would be a need to sign him to an extension, let him play as a motivated final year of contract guy. if he does well then use the franchise tag to keep him here (assumes they don't need to use the tag for Brady). With 7 picks in the first two rounds over the next two years the Patriots can afford to take chances.

Shawne Merriman

According to beat writer Kevin Acee, restricted free agent Shawne Merriman could be had "for the right price" this offseason.

Per Acee, it's a price only GM A.J. Smith knows at this point. The Chargers have been reluctant to lock up Merriman ever since his torn LCL and PCL two summers ago. Smith drafted Merriman's replacement in Larry English last April, so he'll be open to draft-weekend offers from interested teams.

It's simple. Merriman wants to be paid. Because of the lapse of the CBA , he was not afforded the chance at FA. He indicated that last night. He could be had and the Chargers know they can't keep the younger and cheaper English and Merriman. I don't think they have the 4-sale sign out but will consider it.

I am not a big fan of his, but it would make sense. He would love BB and we would love him if traded here. No problem there.
DW Toys

He's done. He was good because he was roided up.

He's done. He was good because he was roided up.

That is a good point, not a lot of players in any sport who have been caught red handed using performance enhancing drugs or even mood altering drugs ever get back to their glory filled steriod days.

See Big Papi as classic case...

Last edited:
My perspective is that college players are overrated and most won't have any impact on the team. I also side in the WOW camp, ie. Get Brady his Rings!

As far as Merriman disliking NE, read this transcript, he mentions BB and Brady.
NFL Live Chat

The guy is a flake, his tune would change in two seconds if he were traded here.

I fall heavily into the Get Brady his Rings category as well. In 2008, this team had one of the easiest schedules in history, a great backup QB, a completely stacked roster that just went 16-0 and it still failed to make the playoffs without Brady. It's wishful thinking to believe this team's reign of excellence smoothly continues past Brady's prime.

Therefore, I am firmly in the strike while the iron is hot crowd.

So, ultimately, if I did think Merriman was a difference maker, sure I'd agree with you. But given all the uncertainty around him as a player and a teammate, I'd rather take my chances with a rookie, even if the odds of them contributing this year are shaky.

Last edited:
I fall heavily into the Get Brady his Rings category as well. In 2008, this team had one of the easiest schedules in history, a great backup QB, a completely stacked roster that just went 16-0 and it still failed to make the playoffs without Brady. It's wishful thinking to believe this team's reign of excellence smoothly continues past Brady's prime.

Therefore, I am firmly in the strike while the iron is hot crowd.

So, ultimately, if I did think Merriman was a difference maker, sure I'd agree with you. But given all the uncertainty around him as a player and a teammate, I'd rather take my chances with a rookie, even if the odds of them contributing this year are shaky.

Reasonable post. I get you.

We still have a hole to fill and it could take a few years to close it with a Draftee (Mayo versus Merriweather).

We have #22 right? Ray Edwards is a RFA with a first round only number. Too much known talent to take a rookie over him (contract pending). BB does not like Chilly anyway. He starts right away . A rookie? Who knows.
DW Toys

We still have a hole to fill and it could take a few years to close it with a Draftee (Mayo versus Merriweather).

We have #22 right? Ray Edwards is a RFA with a first round only number. Too much known talent to take a rookie over him (contract pending). BB does not like Chilly anyway. He starts right away . A rookie? Who knows.
DW Toys

That would work for me IF you were content playing him in the same role he's been in. If you expect more OLB duties out of him, he's no longer a "known talent" and I don't think it plays to his physical strengths. Edwards is best moving forward.

It's also worth considering the effect on negotiations w/a player like Mankins if you agree to a big long-term deal with another team's RFA.

Reasonable post. I get you.

DW Toys

Do you really need to put this silly Ray Edwards idea in every post?

In my opinion, Merriman could do himself a favor and retire from professional football. He should try to sign on with TNA. There have been some former NFL or collegiate players who have made the transition from football to wrestling effortlessly.

Too much uncertainty with him. But I can see Dallas or the Raiders having an interesting in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots