2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Meriweather?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
LaCanfora just twittered that suspensions may be coming including for first time helmut to helmut hits... I hope no one gives him Brandon's WEEI appearance tape...

LaCanfora just twittered that suspensions may be coming including for first time helmut to helmut hits... I hope no one gives him Brandon's WEEI appearance tape...

They're gonna have to suspend about half the league if thats the case. I would think the Union would raise a serious grievance to that.

He hasn't and we will unless he gets benched permanently. He's on WEEI now and he's been told if he played off he'd have intercepted it. Apparently by several folks... Doesn't care. Doesn't care what Rodney says either. Seems to want to embrace the nonsense Vince (who will sadly never be the kind of leader on defense this team is now sadly lacking) spewed earlier. He will not change his style of agressive play no matter what anyone says. Mr. Yuks...what a clown. No accountability, everything's a joke. Bill needs to pull him off the air for his own good.

It's easy to say that when you're looking at it from the standpoint of a fan. However, it's a lot different for him on the field. All Meriweather probably saw was Heap going up high for the ball and his instincts told him that he had to dislodge the receiver from the football, which he did. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out in here, he mistimed the hit and it ended up costing us 15.

It's also funny how people forget that he helped dislodge the ball from Boldin at the goal line only to get called for a B.S. penalty. I didn't see any reason why that flag should have been thrown on Meriweather. That was a great, well timed play on his part.

Looks like Merriweather might get suspended

La Canfora reports nfl spokeman greg aiello says suspensionsnfor helme to helmet may be coming immediately.

It's easy to say that when you're looking at it from the standpoint of a fan. However, it's a lot different for him on the field. All Meriweather probably saw was Heap going up high for the ball and his instincts told him that he had to dislodge the receiver from the football, which he did. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out in here, he mistimed the hit and it ended up costing us 15.

It's also funny how people forget that he helped dislodge the ball from Boldin at the goal line only to get called for a B.S. penalty. I didn't see any reason why that flag should have been thrown on Meriweather. That was a great, well timed play on his part.

If he keeps committing flagrant penalties he will likey get hit with increasing BS penalties too. That's part of the deal. Instead of listening to Vince he should let Bianca manage his life too. She's a way more effective leader than everyone's eternal buddy Vince, unfortunately, will ever be.

Re: Looks like Merriweather might get suspended

Certainly. Merriweather is a Patriot. Suspend him! Set another league example using the Patriots.

That said, Merriweather is a doofus for making that hit.

One here has taken to calling him "stomper". I like that name. What name can we make out of his headhunting?

If that's the case, then I hope James Harrison gets hit with a multiple game suspension for what he did yesterday. Not only did he go helmet to helmet, not only did he launch himself to go helmet to helmet, but he did both to a receiver that was already going down. Then, a couple of series later, he did the same thing to Massaquoi. That's two in one game. He deserves to be hit with at least a two game suspension, one for each hit.

As for Meriweather, this doesn't surprise me. The helmet to helmet hits are getting worse and worse and the fines don't seem to be cutting it. I had a feeling last night that it would be a suspension.

Not really surprised and it's not like he's being treated unfairly. Lets just hope it's for 1 game, fortunately Gates is prolly gonna be out next week so they won't miss meriweather too much for 1 week.

If he keeps committing flagrant penalties he will likey get hit with increasing BS penalties too. That's part of the deal. Instead of listening to Vince he should let Bianca manage his life too. She's a way more effective leader than everyone's eternal buddy Vince, unfortunately, will ever be.

Vince was credited for displaying the type of leadership that kept the defense from coming apart early in the season when it seemed like the entire media and world was coming down on them for sucking. So I'm not sure where you're getting that Vince isn't a leadership type from.

As for your point about flagrant penalties, that's just not true. Ryan Clark doesn't get hit with too many penalties that he doesn't deserve. Neither does Wright. Blown calls by referees happen from time to time, unfortunately. The two really shouldn't be connected to one another in this instance.

Last edited:

If that's the case, then I hope James Harrison gets hit with a multiple game suspension for what he did yesterday. Not only did he go helmet to helmet, not only did he launch himself to go helmet to helmet, but he did both to a receiver that was already going down. Then, a couple of series later, he did the same thing to Massaquoi. That's two in one game. He deserves to be hit with at least a two game suspension, one for each hit.

As for Meriweather, this doesn't surprise me. The helmet to helmet hits are getting worse and worse and the fines don't seem to be cutting it. I had a feeling last night that it would be a suspension.
This is just me, but Harrison fits the bill of a juicer. Got very big very fast, went from irrelevant to DPOY in 2 years, didn't hit his prime till age 30, and has shown repeated examples of roid rage (like in the superbowl where he kept punching Ralph Brown after the play was over). If he didn't play for the franchise the NFL tries so hard to paint as the class of the NFL, I bet he woulda been busted for it by now.

Certainly. Merriweather is a Patriot. Suspend him! Set another league example using the Patriots.

That said, Merriweather is a doofus for making that hit.

Give the whining a rest. There were 3 or 4 vicious hits yesterday and 3 players may face suspension. Try to pay attention and take a break from your embarrassing Patriot Pinkhat Paranoia. :rolleyes:

Vince was credited for displaying the type of leadership that kept the defense from coming apart early in the season when it seemed like the entire media and world was coming down on them for sucking. So I'm not sure where you're getting that Vince isn't a leadership type from.

Mo doesn't agree with Vince, so of course hes not a leader. Thats how these things work.

it doesn't matter that hes been a team captain multiple years. It doesn't matter that hes the best player on the defense. He doesn't agree with MoLewisRocks, so hes clearly roster flotsam.

A suspension without prior rule stating this is the penalty is just
not right.

Give the players warning that this is the new policy.
And I would think that for such a penalty there would
have to be clear evidence that the player to be suspended
really intended to wack the player that got hit.

For the first wack a warning the next time is suspension.
On third wack a 4 game suspension. something like this

"Anderson said the NFL could make changes in its approach immediately, with Commissioner Roger Goodell (NY Jets) having the final say. League officials will consult with the union, but he didn't expect any opposition.

The Eagles' DeSean Jackson and the Falcons' Dunta Robinson were knocked out of their game Sunday after a frightening helmet-to-helmet collision, while Steelers linebacker James Harrison sidelined two Browns players with head injuries after jarring hits.

Anderson wouldn't speculate on how any players would be punished for hits from Sunday's games."

So several helmet hits got the league's panties atwist Sunday. Given the vicious Jets hit on Welker that didn't draw attention, it's just 'coincidental' that a Patriots player could be among the 1st guys affected. What the NFL should do is say that starting NEXT Sunday such hits and they should cite specific examples, will result in a game suspension. But suddenly deciding to suspend player(s) ex post facto reeks of favoritism.

Last edited:

This is just me, but Harrison fits the bill of a juicer. Got very big very fast, went from irrelevant to DPOY in 2 years, didn't hit his prime till age 30, and has shown repeated examples of roid rage (like in the superbowl where he kept punching Ralph Brown after the play was over). If he didn't play for the franchise the NFL tries so hard to paint as the class of the NFL, I bet he woulda been busted for it by now.

Eh, I'm not one to commit to conspiracy theories. I just think that he's an angry guy regardless. Personally, if he were juicing, I think the NFL would have found it by now. Just because he plays for the Steelers doesn't change anything. But it is an interesting thought to consider. I'll give you that.

This statement sounds like it might be going forward. And they aren't talking about suspending for incidental contact but for egregious hits, which is what Brandon's would certainly qualify as, intent aside.

VP Ray Anderson: NFL might start suspending for violent hits - ESPN

Yup - hate to say I called it first, but I called it

If Merriweather had a "clean" record he might be able to argue against a suspension - I assumed from the start after seeing how many bad hits there were on Sunday, that he'd be suspended.

I'm not sure how the appeals process works... hopefully he can appeal it, and keep himself in the games until a strategic time to take the suspension (i.e. the next time we play Buffalo!)

A couple of rule changes I think the NFL should consider during the offseason:

1. Tutu's should be made available to every player and in their lockers before game time
2. The home team has to bake cookies for the visiting team
3. You can't tackle WR's or QB's, you have to gently force them out of bounds

This crap is getting ridiculous!

Your Opinion Of Brandon Meriweather?

He's been here for over 3 years, and he's been a recent subject of discussion because of his play in the Ravens game.

What's your take on him?

Vote!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey