PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather to be cut or traded speculation (merged many times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Meriwether to be cut or traded speculation (merged many times)

No, it means fans voted for him a bunch of times. Pro-bowl selection is an absolute joke, nothing more than a popularity contect.

Stick it! While your observation is based on some Truth, His second selection was by the Coaches in the League.

I wouldn't have any problem watching Brady exploit Meriweather and watching him miss tackles for the jets. If they can get something for him now they should go for it, Meriweather strikes me as one of those players who simply doesn't do the hard work to become great and i think we will see a decline similar to Eugene Wilson's as time goes on. I'm tired of the party starter and would love it if they could get a 4th for him. Better to have a player who really cares and works hard to get better.

I would have a problem with it. The current Jets Safeties couldn't carry Meriwether's jock strap. Why would any Pats fan want to beef it up from absolutely terrible?

Stick it! While your observation is based on some Truth, His second selection was by the Coaches in the League.

Please explain, the 2nd time he went to the Pro-Bowl only coaches were allowed to vote?

Who would give a third round pick for Meriweather? If he were a Bronco, would you give a third for hm? A seventh? Me neither.

Bills couldn't get a seventh for Maybin.

If we could get ANYTHING, we should snap it up. I'm fine with cutting him if we signed Sharper.

I have never had anyone here take my quote so out of context.

My stance is to KEEP Meriweather based on only being able to get a 3rd/4th for him right now, and was in response to someone stating that we'd easily get a "1st."

When we ALREADY will receive a 3rd/4th for him next yr via comp pick--what benefit does it make to get rid of him this yr? We'll be getting the exact same trade compensation no matter what, and by keeping him we allow ourselves the best possible scenario due to him being the best option, and needing some depth at the position. Not to mention that he's on a somewhat 'cheap' rookie pact still. Keeping him provides an immense value, especially when we'll get the SAME compensation for him next yr via comp pick. If you're trying to tell me that we won't get a 4th rd pick for a 2 time pro=bowler, you're kidding yourself.

I have no idea what Aaron Maybin has to do with your argument. Of course the Bills couldn't get a 7th for him---he sucks. How does that relate to Meriweather and my suggested 3rd/4th round compensation for him (whether it's by trade this yr, or via comp pick next?)

And any comparison of Meriweather to Darren Sharper is a complete joke IMO. Maybe "you'd" be fine with Sharper instead, I surely wouldn't be. Their talents are night/day. Not even close.

Last edited:

Please explain, the 2nd time he went to the Pro-Bowl only coaches were allowed to vote?

Players, fans, and coaches vote. Each group's vote counts as a third of the total tally.

Even if Merriweather is the overwhelming fan favorite, if players and coaches deem other players more worthy, Merriweather would not be a pro-bowler. And I doubt Merriweather gets 100% of all fans votes.

This may be hard to believe, but other NFL players and coaches think Merriweather's a good player too!:eek:

You like Meriweather and that is fine, but others don't, and it isn't because we are all morons who can't think for ourselves or blindly follow a mediot. You might like to think that, but it is just wishful thinking on your part.

It wasn't the story angle that turned me off to Meriweather. It was HIS angle, as in angle to the ballcarrier.

I could make up insulting and demeaning reasons why you and others like him, and call it nonsense, but why? You like him and that is fine. But others don't and that's fine, too.

Me, I think the Pats are a better team without him. BB wants to keep him, maybe he is better than Serio Brown. But not Darren Sharper. Sign Sharper, cut Meriweather and the team is better.

All due respect Space--have you completely lost it?

You think that the current version of Sharper, who no one will even bother signing, is BETTER than Meriweather?

LOL.

That's why Belichick played Meriweather with a close to team high number of snaps last yr, and told Sharper to hit the bricks after his workout here, right? B/C Sharper is so much better, lol?

Maybe you have the 2008-2009 version of Sharper stuck in your head? Meriweather is young, super fast, and is a known playmaker. He leads our entire secondary in turnovers since his 1st rd selection in 2007. Maybe you haven't looked recently at some of last sesason's highlights? Tell me how many times Meriweather is in the play, or makes a big play? Much more than you seem to think.

ESPN and NFL Network BOTH have Meriweather as one of the top 5-6 safeties in the entire NFL.. Yet Spacecrime doesn't even think we could get a 7th rd pick for him....What the HELL are you smoking?

(EDIT: And I don't even LIKE Meriweather---but just like BB, he is obviously what's currently best for the team. And despite his bad angles to the ball, is extremely talented in a ton of ways. I didn't even realize that was up for debate?)

Last edited:
He aint getting cut.

Re: Reiss reports that Patriots are moving players around at safety during practice

Good or bad, Meriweather isn't going anywhere at the moment, IMHO.

My stance is to KEEP Meriweather based on only being able to get a 3rd/4th for him right now, and was in response to someone stating that we'd easily get a "1st."

When we ALREADY will receive a 3rd/4th for him next yr via comp pick--what benefit does it make to get rid of him this yr? We'll be getting the exact same trade compensation no matter what, and by keeping him we allow ourselves the best possible scenario due to him being the best option, and needing some depth at the position. Not to mention that he's on a somewhat 'cheap' rookie pact still. Keeping him provides an immense value, especially when we'll get the SAME compensation for him next yr via comp pick. If you're trying to tell me that we won't get a 4th rd pick for a 2 time pro=bowler, you're kidding yourself.

I have no idea what Aaron Maybin has to do with your argument. Of course the Bills couldn't get a 7th for him---he sucks. How does that relate to Meriweather and my suggested 3rd/4th round compensation for him (whether it's by trade this yr, or via comp pick next?)

And any comparison of Meriweather to Darren Sharper is a complete joke IMO. Maybe "you'd" be fine with Sharper instead, I surely wouldn't be. Their talents are night/day. Not even close.

There is no guarantee of any compensation if Meriweather leaves as a free agent, let alone a third rounder. And that pick if awarded, wouldn't be until the 2013 draft.

National Football League Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round."

Meriweather might be a bit of a choir for the coaches, but he's still way better than Darren Sharper or Renaldo Hill. With Sanders injured, we are absolutely not in a position to deal Meriweather.

Nope. Sharper is on the back nine of his career and is coming off of injury. His signing would have been fine for depth purposes, and I would have welcomed him as a role player on this defense, but I don't want him as a starter over Meriweather. Meriweather may freelance at times, but he's still a young, solid safety who was credited with changing the tone of an important AFC game for us last season when he put that big hit on Todd Heap. He's also managed to come up with some big turnovers for our defense in the past. With the defensive side of the ball being completely revamped in the offseason, I don't see how it makes sense to deal one of our best safeties, either. The only way I would want to see Meriweather cut or traded is if Sergio Brown stepped up in a big way during 11-on-11 work and in the preseason playing against the 1's. Since that doesn't appear to be happening, I'll look forward to seeing "hit stick" back.

Players, fans, and coaches vote. Each group's vote counts as a third of the total tally.

Even if Merriweather is the overwhelming fan favorite, if players and coaches deem other players more worthy, Merriweather would not be a pro-bowler. And I doubt Merriweather gets 100% of all fans votes.

This may be hard to believe, but other NFL players and coaches think Merriweather's a good player too!:eek:

Some of the debates on this board are a joke..a complete joke. Merweather obviously is very talented in many ways. However he is still raw, which is a problem. He also freelances at times, and misses some tackles...then again so did A.Samuel, and many have him as a top 6-7 CB. No one's "perfect." Not even Troy Palamualu. That said, there is OBVIOUS trade compensation for Meri. It is not as high as some think..nor is it as low as some think. That is why I have assumed it to be anywhere near a 3rd/4th...but when you consider what the NFL will give us via a comp pick, that has to be right in the ballpark too...And that's been 'my' personal argument. Keep him another yr on a cheap deal, then get the exact same as we'd get this yr.

Those who are stating "get whatever you possibly can for the bum...," and "he's worth an obvious 1st-2nd rounder" and taking it to an extreme. he is young, experienced, and super-fast. Someone will certainly give us a 3/4 for him. Or BB will just wait and get it anyway next yr in a comp pick. Case closed. I really can't see what the big deal/argument is about???

You make a great point by reminding us that the Pro-Bowl is NOT just a popularity contest, as many uninformed posters seem to think. How many coaches and mediots (NFL Network/ESPN) have Meriweather in a top-5 safety ranking in the entire NFL? Most of them...

Last edited:
There is no guarantee of any compensation if Meriweather leaves as a free agent, let alone a third rounder. And that pick if awarded, wouldn't be until the 2013 draft.

"Are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round."

Thank you for the clarification, and I do understand this, but I am assuming that with the number of free agents that we have + BB's savvy knowledge of the system, that we will surely get a 3rd to 4th rd comp pick for him.

Look at the past comp picks, yr by yr.

I appreciate the helpful manner, but I never claimed that it would be in 2012. A draft pick's a draft pick--especially in the BB era.

With 4 picks in the first 2 rds again next yr, I imagine we'll be fine.

If we could wait a yr for Seymour (arguably the staple of the defense) then we can wait a yr for Meriweather too.

He aint getting cut.

Lawyer Milloy would like to have a word with you.

As for trades, see Richard Seymour.

As long as BB is HC of the NEP, very few players are safe.

BB constantly says he's working to make the team better.
Right now, Merry has talent and speed. Judgement continues to be an issue but compared to what he has on the team and what is available in FA, Merry is worth more to the team than some maybe not achievable late round 2013 pick which in all probability gets cut. Don't weaken the roster, especially without seeing who is healthy on cut down day. And whatever you do, do not solve the Jets horrific deficiency at the safety position by cutting Merry.

Last edited:

When we ALREADY will receive a 3rd/4th for him next yr via comp pick
--what benefit does it make to get rid of him this yr? We'll be getting the exact same trade compensation no matter what, and by keeping him we allow ourselves the best possible scenario due to him being the best option, and needing some depth at the position. Not to mention that he's on a somewhat 'cheap' rookie pact still. Keeping him provides an immense value, especially when we'll get the SAME compensation for him next yr via comp pick. If you're trying to tell me that we won't get a 4th rd pick for a 2 time pro=bowler, you're kidding yourself.

I appreciate the helpful manner, but I never claimed that it would be in 2012.

You claimed twice that it would be next year. Next year will be 2012.

Last edited:

Maybe you have the 2008-2009 version of Sharper stuck in your head? Meriweather is young, super fast, and is a known playmaker. He leads our entire secondary in turnovers since his 1st rd selection in 2007. Maybe you haven't looked recently at some of last sesason's highlights? Tell me how many times Meriweather is in the play, or makes a big play? Much more than you seem to think.

The problem is that although Meriweather makes those highlight plays, he also leads the team in 'lowlight' plays. This is what drives fans nuts and it is a legitimate reason for people to dislike him. BB always preaches 'DO YOUR JOB' and Meriweather unfortunately freelances too often for people's tastes and those plays where he just takes bad angles and takes out his men leads to a lot of frustration for Pats fans. I don't deny that he's a talented kid, unfortunately he just doesn't do his job well enough, CONSISTENTLY enough for people to feel comfortable with him as a long term starter at safety.

If we could upgrade on Meriweather, I'd do it on a heartbeat but as you mentioned that's actually a tall task at the moment. Safety talent is hard to find in the NFL. I do favor keeping Meriweather until we either get better depth at safety or get an offer we can't refuse - IE a 2nd round or higher draft pick. Other than that I expect us to ride out the Meriweather era and see him depart in free agency. He's not going to get the big bucks from BB or the Pats on his next contract and there will definitely be teams willing to overpay him next year.

Maybe you have the 2008-2009 version of Sharper stuck in your head? Meriweather is young, super fast, and is a known playmaker. He leads our entire secondary in turnovers since his 1st rd selection in 2007.

Well I hope so. He has what, twice as many games as any other player back there other than Sanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back