PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather to be cut or traded speculation (merged many times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
for does that want Meriweather cut, do you really want to see him working the middle of the field for the Jets ?

I wouldn't have any problem watching Brady exploit Meriweather and watching him miss tackles for the jets. If they can get something for him now they should go for it, Meriweather strikes me as one of those players who simply doesn't do the hard work to become great and i think we will see a decline similar to Eugene Wilson's as time goes on. I'm tired of the party starter and would love it if they could get a 4th for him. Better to have a player who really cares and works hard to get better.

A 2 time pro bowler entering a contract year, definite trade bait.

We'd still have Chung, Sanders, Brown, potentially Ras-I/another CB converted to safety and potential FA pickup such as Sharper. The S situation could be alot worse than that. I'd trade him for a 1st, maybe even a 2nd. He's most likely gone after next year anyways IMO, hard to see BB matching some of the offers I can see him getting from dumber teams.

Pasty---you're killing me today buddy ;)

You don't actually believe that someone would offer a 2nd, let alone a 1st for Brandon Meriweather do you? I mean, you don't HONESTLY believe that...do you???

We've been having discussions all off-season that players like Mankins and Welker would not bring 1st rd picks. Now you're going to tell me that Brandon Meriweather is a 1st rd pick???

No way he'd even net us a 2nd, and that's pretty much general consensus.

I wouldn't have any problem watching Brady exploit Meriweather and watching him miss tackles for the jets. If they can get something for him now they should go for it, Meriweather strikes me as one of those players who simply doesn't do the hard work to become great and i think we will see a decline similar to Eugene Wilson's as time goes on. I'm tired of the party starter and would love it if they could get a 4th for him. Better to have a player who really cares and works hard to get better.

Yes, good points, but they will already be able to get a 4th for him via free agency comp pick next Spring.

The chance of replacing his knowledge and play making skills THIS yr is not too good, and we'll get the pick anyhow.

For the money on his rookie deal, his high snap count, and his turnover causing plays--he's still the best option for THIS yr...and I don't even really care that much for him. But to me, it's a question of simple value and how to make the 2011 version of the NEP the best product on the field. Trading him for the exact same value that you'd get at the end of the yr ANYWAY (3rd to 4th in my opinion via comp pick) just doesn't make too much sense.

Or am I greatly missing something that I'm just not seeing? (no sarcasm, being completely honest)

the guy has made the AFC pro bowl in back to back years have you seen the list of safetys that play in the AFC and yet the players still voted him to the pro bowl, and how do you know he does not work hard ? because he's not Troy Polamalu now he does not work hard, if your not a fan of he's im ok with that but tell me who on this roster is better then him at FS

the guy has made the AFC pro bowl in back to back years have you seen the list of safetys that play in the AFC and yet the players still voted him to the pro bowl, and how do you know he does not work hard ? because he's not Troy Polamalu now he does not work hard, if your not a fan of he's im ok with that but tell me who on this roster is better then him at FS

The reports are that he isn't in shape ands he continues to make the same mistakes year after year, that is what suggests to me that he isn't the hardest worker, and I really don't put that much stock in the pro bowls as the fans who watch him the most don't consider him to be that quality of player. I would take Sanders and Chung over him as starters and and sign Sharper, with Brown that gives them 4 safeties. I'm not a fan and that colors my views on him but that's how i see it, i'm tired of his act.

Re: Reiss reports that Patriots are moving players around at safety during practice

Why only pick out Meriweather? Reiss mentions that Brown replaced Chung to play with Brandon also. That wasn't directed at you, but I know that's what everyone will do.

Pat Chung to be traded. Sergio Brown replaces Chung in workouts on day Darren Sharper and Renaldo Hill are tried out.

People on here have already written a story about Merriweather. It doesn't seem to matter that the story is completely counterfactual.

The reports are that he isn't in shape ands he continues to make the same mistakes year after year, that is what suggests to me that he isn't the hardest worker, and I really don't put that much stock in the pro bowls as the fans who watch him the most don't consider him to be that quality of player. I would take Sanders and Chung over him as starters and and sign Sharper, with Brown that gives them 4 safeties. I'm not a fan and that colors my views on him but that's how i see it, i'm tired of his act.
The fans aren't voting him to Probowls, the COACHES are.

Also, could you please post some links to Merriweather being out of shape? I've heard nothing about this, and my though it that you've probably already formed your opinion, and are misreading things to back up your opinion.

merriweather has trade value, he is GONE. They need some 5ths and 4ths to make up for the haynesworth and ocho trades....haynesworth likely doesn't make the team. Hope I'm wrong.

Meriweather might be a bit of a choir for the coaches, but he's still way better than Darren Sharper or Renaldo Hill. With Sanders injured, we are absolutely not in a position to deal Meriweather.

Meriweather might be a bit of a choir for the coaches, but he's still way better than Darren Sharper or Renaldo Hill. With Sanders injured, we are absolutely not in a position to deal Meriweather.

If Meriweather can't be trusted to do whats called of him to do by the coaching staff and if he continues to not understand how to tackle then he is no good for this team. One of Bill Belichick's favorite sayings is "Do Your Job" and if Meriweather can't be trusted to be in position or make a tackle then BB has no use for him, especially at the Safety position. Meriweather doesn't need to be replaced by someone as physically talented as he is, just someone that will listen to the coaches and make an occasional tackle.

Last edited:

Sanders is terrible, anyone would be btter than him...unreal how much money that stiff makes. Meriweather is better off traded...he has a high value according to misguided coaches, I don't think our coaching staff has any illusions about him though.

Re: Meriwether to be cut or traded speculation (merged many times)

It is profoundly amazing how this board adopts player to hate.

The nonsense seems to spread to the hoard of writers covering the Pats. One dreams up a story angle, which are admittedly tough to get in the secretive Pats operation, and then they all jump on board.

The facts are plain.

Until or when Brandon Meriwether leaves the team, I continue to believe that the team thinks he is a better than average player who adds to the Defense. Or Belichick would not be playing him, but he is.

Fact: There are only three really qualified Safeties on the Team right now, and one is currently dinged up.
Fact: Brandon was selected to two Pro-bowls. Whether you respect that or not, it DOES place him in the upper ranks at his position.
Fact: Belichick allowed Jarrad Page to walk, when he had plenty of CAP space.
Fact: Belichick cut Brandon McGowan who started for him two years ago.

Reading this board's collective genius you'd think that Meriweather and Tate couldn't cut it in the UFL let alone the NFL.

The nonsense seems to spread to the hoard of writers covering the Pats. One dreams up a story angle, which are admittedly tough to get in the secretive Pats operation, and then they all jump on board.

The facts are plain.

Until or when Brandon Meriwether leaves the team, I continue to believe that the team thinks he is a better than average player who adds to the Defense. Or Belichick would not be playing him, but he is.

Fact: There are only three really qualified Safeties on the Team right now, and one is currently dinged up.
Fact: Brandon was selected to two Pro-bowls. Whether you respect that or not, it DOES place him in the upper ranks at his position.
I was thinking the same thing.

Trade him for a 3rd this yr.
Who would give a third round pick for Meriweather? If he were a Bronco, would you give a third for hm? A seventh? Me neither.

Bills couldn't get a seventh for Maybin.

If we could get ANYTHING, we should snap it up. I'm fine with cutting him if we signed Sharper.

No, it means fans voted for him a bunch of times. Pro-bowl selection is an absolute joke, nothing more than a popularity contect.

You like Meriweather and that is fine, but others don't, and it isn't because we are all morons who can't think for ourselves or blindly follow a mediot. You might like to think that, but it is just wishful thinking on your part.

It wasn't the story angle that turned me off to Meriweather. It was HIS angle, as in angle to the ballcarrier.

I could make up insulting and demeaning reasons why you and others like him, and call it nonsense, but why? You like him and that is fine. But others don't and that's fine, too.

Me, I think the Pats are a better team without him. BB wants to keep him, maybe he is better than Serio Brown. But not Darren Sharper. Sign Sharper, cut Meriweather and the team is better.

Reading this board's collective genius you'd think that Meriweather and Tate couldn't cut it in the UFL let alone the NFL.

But but but but but Tate has stone handz and Meriweather is stoopid :rolleyes:

The facts are plain.

Many people on this board have been saying it for a while, it's a topic of discussion now because of the writers. There are legitimate reasons why fans feel they way they do and let's not forget Meriweather was benched on more than one occasion last year.

I would have thought they would of re signed Page but he was free to sign with anyone it's not a matter of BB allowing him to. McGowan and Meriweather were never in competition for the same position. McGowan couldn't cover someone to save his life and was yet another player overrated by this board, he was a fringe NFL player who layed a couple of big hits,

I'd rather keep a young defensive lineman like Darryl Richard than that talented punk, Brandon.

Has he figured it out yet? Take nothing for granted, Mr. Meriweather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back