PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather to be cut or traded speculation (merged many times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rapoport: Meriweather could be cut

Adam scheftner reports pats r not offering a contract to sharpe or anyone who visited today

So unless there is a plan B I don't see how this happens

There's a bit of gamesmenship in all the "cut" rumors today on BB's part (remember rumors that Moss would be cut prior to the 2007 season?)...

Reaffirm that their jobs are very much on the line and see if they respond with improved performance. ...And of course all the while Belichick is conducting his shadow roster research as well...

So all of these rumors and visits are all very much orchestrated to make the organization better in many different ways.

That being said, I have no problem believing that all their jobs ARE very much on the line, including Meriweather, and of course Haynesworth - and yes, even Johnson as Belichick is not one to let salary earn someone a roster position they don't deserve.

One problem with getting rid of Meriweather -- isn't he our 4th-best CB?

Heck, he has more INTs than Buddy Farnham.

Last edited:

Anyone that thinks we can get a fourth rounder or better for him is delusional.

Comcast Sports Tonight 6:30 Pm, Ian Rapoport said that he felt that the Patriots were at the "end of the line" with Meriweather and believes that he could be traded or even cut.

Karen Guregian weighs in :BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet
I also heard Fat Albert and Oco$#%^ could be too. Didn't some reporter say they like to throw these things out on a slow day?

Last edited:

Pig pile, everyone jump aboard. :bricks:

Anyone that thinks we can get a fourth rounder or better for him is delusional.

Yeah, how could we POSSIBLY expect to get a 4th Rounder for a young, healthy, highly talented ~ albeit insane ~ former 1st Rounder, who's already twice been voted All Pro, at a position where there's dubious Supply and a TON of demand??? :rolleyes: :rofl:

Meriweather and Butler may be the most hated Patriots since Zeke Mowatt showed his shlong to Lisa Olsen

With Maroney gone, it had to fall to someone.

Comcast Sports Tonight 6:30 Pm, Ian Rapoport said that he felt that the Patriots were at the "end of the line" with Meriweather and believes that he could be traded or even cut.

Karen Guregian weighs in :BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet
I didn't watch the 6:30 show, but based on the responses to this thread I doubt very many clicked on the link you provided.

Let's take a look at the very first words from that column:

At the end of every day, we’ll participate in a pasttime as old as training camp itself — taking an observation and blowing it way out of proportion. Here’s today’s edition:

Yeah, how could we POSSIBLY expect to get a 4th Rounder for a young, healthy, highly talented ~ albeit insane ~ former 1st Rounder, who's already twice been voted All Pro, at a position where there's dubious Supply and a TON of demand??? :rolleyes: :rofl:

Guys rumored of being on the bubble don't command a whole lot. If he is traded, I'll be happy if the return is anything more than a 6th/7th rounder.

With Maroney gone, it had to fall to someone.

Speaking of Maroney, there's absolutely no way we'll trade our knucklehead starting RB to Denver. Who would be the starter? Benjarvus Green Ellis? Come on, he stinks; The Patriots are much smarter than that, Maroney is much better than BJGE. Now let's all mock anyone who is foolish enough to think that BJGE is a better fit at RB than Maroney. We're all so much smarter than everybody else, aren't we?

2010 stats:

BJGE 229 CARRIES 1008 YARDS 4.4 AVG 13 TD
Maroney 36 CARRIES 74 YARDS 2.1 AVG 0TD

Seeing Maroney fail so hard last year almost made suffering through the Maroney fanboys worth it.

Almost.

maroney and meriweather are NOT similar cases

maroney sucked, meriweather does not suck, hes just not an all-pro

A 2 time pro bowler entering a contract year, definite trade bait.

We'd still have Chung, Sanders, Brown, potentially Ras-I/another CB converted to safety and potential FA pickup such as Sharper. The S situation could be alot worse than that. I'd trade him for a 1st, maybe even a 2nd. He's most likely gone after next year anyways IMO, hard to see BB matching some of the offers I can see him getting from dumber teams.

But Maroney didn't suck when he was on the Patriots, did he? Most people didn't feel that way until after he was traded.

And Meriweather will suck when he's no longer on the team, then we'll all act like we felt that way all along.

And they are very similar cases.

Meriweather always had potential to be one of the best,I think he plays the ball as well as Polamalu and lays the hit hard but that's where the comparisons end.

Polamalu finds the man with the ball and wraps him up with BOTH arms and takes him down...Meriweather leaps in the air and tries to knock the ball carrier down and out with his upper body....too bad Brandon has yet to realize that some of these guys have legs bigger and stronger than an 80 year old man and don't go down with flying tackles that don't involve arms :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I hope they keep him. I like that silly hat he wears with the feathers and raccoon tails on it.

for does that want Meriweather cut, do you really want to see him working the middle of the field for the Jets ?

A 2 time pro bowler entering a contract year, definite trade bait.
We'd still have Chung, Sanders, Brown, potentially Ras-I/another CB converted to safety and potential FA pickup such as Sharper. The S situation could be alot worse than that. I'd trade him for a 1st, maybe even a 2nd. He's most likely gone after next year anyways IMO, hard to see BB matching some of the offers I can see him getting from dumber teams.

Question of the week---trade him for 'what' exactly?? While I agree that he has obvious trade value (no brainer), 'what' exactly do you see him bringing us? If he's worth a 3rd to someone, than how is that different than what he will already pull in a comp pick? I'd think that we'd get somewhere around the same value, although it may very well be a 4th that we'd receive in compensation through the NFL, rather than a 3rd.

I think that maybe we are making poor comparisions to other, past players that would have netted us a higher pick in trade value. I just don't see how getting rid of him THIS yr is going to benefit that greatly? This is why I am not fully getting the "trade Meriweather" idea/talk. Our 2 options are the following:

1. Trade him for a 3rd this yr. I think someone would likely bite on a 3rd, but that's the absolute highest. That would then give us a hole at an important position, and take away someone who has been known to be a pretty big playmaker at times. After all, he has led the secondary in turnovers since his arrival in 2007.

2. "Use" him for the last yr on his contract, which is a relatively cheap rookie deal still. It gives us obvious benefits in the sense of having the same player who knows the system, and will likely continue to make several big time plays/turnovers this yr. Yes, we'll still see his freelancing at times, but we'll also see his speed and talent, and his defensive leading (or comparable minus DMcC) high snap count percentage. We would then likely get a 4th at worst, 3rd at best comp pick when he leaves for free agency in February.

I see the value as being darn close either way, BUT one way adds a benefit of having a more complete defense this yr, giving us one more yr to try and develop Dowling + add another draft pick/possible free agent to help replace him.

When all's said and done I imagine we'll hear rumors of how BB would have 'loved' to replace him this yr, tried and just couldn't...who knows how much truth there will be to those rumors though, as there's always other elements that we're just not privy to.

Dowling's certainly not ready (if he's even ready to see the field at all), and one would think that if BB REALLY had plans to try and trade Meri that he wouldn't have allowed BOTH Page and McGowan to leave.

I'm guessing that Meriweather is here for one last yr, as it just makes the most sense. That could all change though if BB just absolutely doesn't want him on the field or in the lockerroom under any circumstances, but I'm not seeing that one. Again, he probably wouldn't have allowed both Page and McGowan to leave at the same time, and thin the position out so lightly if there were plans to make a postion of strength into such a position of need. Just a few weeks ago, we had safety as one of the most stable and deep positions on the team. We had a probowl playmaker in Meri, a healthy Sanders, and great depth with Page and McGowan too. I'm just not seeing these "obvious" benefits of trading him this yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back