PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather to be cut or traded speculation (merged many times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rapoport: Meriweather could be cut

Meriweather has had several years and still hasn't figured it out. In a coincidence I was actually watching old game tapes from last year tonight (the season can't get here fast enough in our household) and I noticed Meriweather still takes bad angles, makes poor tackles, and the defense gives up huge plays that are directly or indirectly attributable to something he did. It's got to be frustrating if you're Mayo and the guy behind you keeps letting you down.

He's too poor a tackler to play in the box, and as a free safety he doesn't prevent big plays. I hope they find some team stupid enough to take him for a draft pick thinking he's good because of some pro bowl appearances. Would not be surprised if the rumors are true and they were working out Darren Sharper for serious consideration.

Meriweather and Butler may be the most hated Patriots since Zeke Mowatt showed his shlong to Lisa Olsen

Its funny...remember that idiot national post that BB will cut either Haynesworth or Chad to make an example???...well, he just may have been closer to the truth than we thought....only the example is Meriwether

Personally I'd hate to cut the guy. I can't believe that he has zero value. Couldn't we at least get back one of the 5th round picks that we traded this offseason ? He has a small cap number as well.

That small cap number will probably keep him from getting cut. I think all the moves were motivational in nature. Take him out his starting spot and make him work his way back in...if he can.

yeah i am getting sick of this guy

No offense, but anyone who takes Rappaport seriously is just foolish.

There are a few worthwhile Reporters out there ~ Greg Bedard comes prominently to mind ~ but Rappaport sure as Hell ain't one'f'm.

I'd like to get some return for a two-time Pro Bowler, no matter how fraudulent, but on the field I don't think this team misses him one bit. He's AWFUL.

He cant even shoot straight.

Meriweather and Butler may be the most hated Patriots since Zeke Mowatt showed his shlong to Lisa Olsen

Hate is the right word....and I'm guilty of it too. I don't hate Butler, I think the ceiling was set too high for him and I judged him based on those expectations. I think Butler works hard...Maybe a change of scenery will work.

Metiweather I do get angry at.

He cant even shoot straight.

That saved his career. He just needs to do the opposite between the sidelines.

Disappointing. I keep hoping for the guy to improve, but it's starting to seem like he may be a weak link, despite his accolades. Not much out there, though. Short of a surprising trade, there aren't a lot of ways to improve upon him.

Housh, Sharper, Hill..

None are expected to sign, according to Schefter. I didn't think they would sign Housh, but thought something might be up with one of the safeties, with the current 'situation' at that position.

Last edited:

Curran on CSNE tonight: "hes not in top shape, he keeps making "kooky" decisions," etc. He said Casserio "damned him with faint praise" today as well.

A safety who freestlyes and isnt in shape really hurts a defense. I think there is a little more truth to this one. Also reports of Mayo yelling at Merriweather last week in practics about being in the wrong position. Curran added Meriweather still takes bad angles and makes poor tackles....

WHo the heck would replace him though? Sergio Brown? Oh my/...

This is what I don't get. Who's going to replace the guy who freestyles too much/ is not in shape/in the wrong position/takes bad angles/makes poor tackles? Does that sound like traits Belichick desires from a Safety? At this point I'd rather see Sergio Brown out there or James Sanders or Darren Sharper or Ras-I or Arrington; pretty much anyone who can actually make a tackle. Meriweather's a knucklehead.

Re: Housh, Sharper, Hill..

Cool thread, only 4 others on the front page with this information.

Re: Housh, Sharper, Hill..

never mind..just saw it below...

Hate is the right word....and I'm guilty of it too. I don't hate Butler, I think the ceiling was set too high for him and I judged him based on those expectations. I think Butler works hard...Maybe a change of scenery will work.

Metiweather I do get angry at.

Heck,try Butler at Safety.

Adam scheftner reports pats r not offering a contract to sharpe or anyone who visited today

So unless there is a plan B I don't see how this happens

Re: Reiss reports that Patriots are moving players around at safety during practice

That's not 100% true or else he would of been gone by now. I think it's more to the thought that BB wanted Meriweather to progress a lot further than he has at this point in his career. He's not the Rodney Harrison replacement we hoped for out of the 1st round pick dubbed the "Hit Stick". More like Eugene Wilson.

BB gave 1st round pick Maroney the axe after 4 seasons. I can see Meriweather being the next Maroney. His play is average and then theres the off field issues. The shooting investigation is stalled out because nobody will talk all of a sudden.

For BMW to still not be in the right position after all this time is sad. Mayo shoudnt have to baby sit this fool.

All because they used Sergio brown and chung some in practice?

Aren't they supposed to look at different people in training camp? What am I missing here?

Of course i predicted he'd be traded, but that included trade value and contract, not suddenly souring on him and dumping him. Plus they lost a backup safety and cut mcGowan, so why not look at available safeties?

Last edited:
Re: Reiss reports that Patriots are moving players around at safety during practice

That's not 100% true or else he would of been gone by now. I think it's more to the thought that BB wanted Meriweather to progress a lot further than he has at this point in his career. He's not the Rodney Harrison replacement we hoped for out of the 1st round pick dubbed the "Hit Stick". More like Eugene Wilson.

His game has regressed a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back