Welcome to PatsFans.com

Meriweather to be cut or traded speculation (merged many times)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DefenseRules, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +321 / 13 / -1

#12 Jersey

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

It might mean nothing in the long run. I just thought that the team needed more depth at safety. But maybe the coaching staff is concerned about the performance/production at the safety position. It might be something to keep an eye on for the rest of camp.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
  2. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Reiss reports that Patriots are moving players around at safety during practice

Why only pick out Meriweather? Reiss mentions that Brown replaced Chung to play with Brandon also. That wasn't directed at you, but I know that's what everyone will do.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,525 / 20 / -26

Re: Reiss reports that Patriots are moving players around at safety during practice

I just posted a link up top to the BB interview on air this afternoon.BB and Bruschi cover this topic as well as a whole bunch of other questions raised by fans....BB explains WHY he does things like this.....it's about 20 minutes long but it's worth listening to

4. patriot lifer

patriot lifer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

They might be planning on taking a closer look at Brown over the next couple weeks to determine if he can be their #4 safety or not. He's undrafted and only in his second year. It might be worth placing some extra stress on him and see how he responds. The fact that Sanders is sitting out for so many practices is a little concerning, but he's at least on the field (per Bedard), just not in pads.

They also might want to want to send Meriweather a message. Who knows?

5. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 6 / -1

#61 Jersey

You betcha! I'm listening to it as I type this. :rocker:

6. DefenseRules

Ratings:
    +321 / 13 / -1

#12 Jersey

They are thin at safety. Thats what concerns me. Merriweather does seem to have a bullseye on him lately when it comes to the media. I don't think his game is that bad. He's alright.

7. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 1 / -0

Rich Smith (@ALLsportsINTEL) on Twitter
    Says pats are expected to make an offer to Sharper. Bye Meriweather?

8. DefenseRules

Ratings:
    +321 / 13 / -1

#12 Jersey

I was fortunate enough to listen to it earlier. Great stuff.

9. DefenseRules

Ratings:
    +321 / 13 / -1

#12 Jersey

Wow, no love for Meriweather. I don't think he's going anywhere, IMO. We need depth at safety.

10. patriot lifer

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

We do seem to be a bit thin, but if Sanders comes back healthy for week 1, and if we have Chung and BM healthy, then that's a good 3 safeties. At that point we're looking for a #4 guy, who is also a big ST contributor. Brown was that last year, except he was the #5 (albeit with Page hurt for a good portion of the season).

With 90 players in camp, we should have more safeties. Even if it was 80 players, we should have more than 4.

11. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +135 / 9 / -3

#11 Jersey

Great idea. Let's cut a 27 year old solid starter (not a Pro Bowler, but still a good safety even if he is overrated) in favor of a 35 (almost 36) year old coming off a major injury who may or may not still be good.

12. Haley

Haley In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +292 / 4 / -1

Is it safe to completely write off Josh Barrett at this point? It seems he only practiced once so far. I really don't know what to make of him.

13. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 1 / -0

You don't sign a 36 year old to be a backup. You want those backups to have special teams value. If the team wants Sharper, it's as a starter. And if Meriweather were any good, there wouldn't have been reports that Belichick was "desperate" for a free safety.

And they can easily get a 4th or something for Meriweather (and make sure he doesn't go to the Jets).

14. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +223 / 12 / -7

I am not one to get down on Merriweather, but he has been described as slow in TC. Add that to his freelancing, poor angles and tendency to forget to wrap up ball carriers and I wouldn't be shocked to see him cut.

15. DefenseRules

Ratings:
    +321 / 13 / -1

#12 Jersey

EXACTLY!! Merriweather is not great, but he's not so bad that he needs to be replaced, IMO. I'd rather replace Wilhite. But that's me. :p

16. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Where did Reiss say that ? Not on the blog entry that was linked to.

17. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +135 / 9 / -3

#11 Jersey

I'm in a minority here when I say just carry 4 corners on the roster. Butler and Wilhite just aren't good enough compared to other bottom-of-the-roster candidates.

18. patriot lifer

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

I thought the fact that BM was in a contract year would be all the motivation he needs. Perhaps someone should remind him.

[​IMG]

19. jsull87

jsull87 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +75 / 3 / -0

It's interesting how some peoples logic works... the only saftey we have seen sit out practice has been James Sanders. We work out safteys and people automatically go; this = Merriweather gone.

Maybe it means Sanders is gone. (injured i mean) Maybe BB is just doing what he does every year, bringing in Vets to Compete.

20. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +793 / 6 / -9

This logic doesn't necessarily follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.