PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kid must think he's walking into a den of lions.

He is, and the media will be on a feeding frenzy if he in any way creates controversy. He's been warned about the NE media -- and now he knows. If he allows himself to become frustrated by dumb and/or personal questions he won't survive here. Once he suits up, his new teammates will hopefully show him the way. He's already learned how to say, "next question." And that won't score him many points with the local scribes and choir boys in this area. If he can manage to be tough (but respectful) with the media -- he'll be o.k.

Thanks,REMIX.As a person who has considerable experience in law enforcement and use of force,I dont have a problem with the first one,if its that simple(as you know,many incidents like that are not"cut and dried"),the stomping on a guy who is down is more of a concern ,at face value anyway.I have faith in BB and his staff ,they seem to know the decent (and great) players,guess we will have to see how they pan out.

Thanks,REMIX.As a person who has considerable experience in law enforcement and use of force,I dont have a problem with the first one,if its that simple(as you know,many incidents like that are not"cut and dried"),the stomping on a guy who is down is more of a concern ,at face value anyway.I have faith in BB and his staff ,they seem to know the decent (and great) players,guess we will have to see how they pan out.

if u have a gun..i wouldnt mention it..people are quick to call u a thug

Remember Seymour kicked a Colt in the head after the play. And personally I see Seymour as a class act. His emotions got the better of him. Meriweather definitley shouldnt have done what we did at the brawl. But he was the Miami captain and his emotions definitley got the better of him there. I see it as he thought he was standing up for his team more than anything. Thought it was stupid on his part.

Last edited:
^yeah and u can actually argue Meriweather was helping teammates since FIU started it so he stomped on a guys leg while Seymour just did it it out of frustration

2 incidents

#1) They were at Willie Cooper's house(a player) and a car drove by..shot at Willie Cooper. Cooper got hit in ass and Meriweather pulled out his gun and fired back at the car. Thats self defense..they were fired upon first..he had a legally owned gun. His major is criminology and his father is a well known cop in Florida i believe

#2) On the field..FIU vs Miami..we kicked the extra point and for some reason..a kid from their taem attacked our kicker and place holder..randomly attacked and a big fight broke out. It was a big brawl..Meriweather was seen running over and then started stomping on 1 of FIU's player's legs.

That's not exactly what happened. They noticed a strange car outside and went out to see what was going on. When they went outside an assailant wearing a bandanna jumped up from behind a bush, then confronted and shot Cooper in the butt. After Cooper was shot in the butt Meriweather returned fire, but didn't actually shoot anyone. The assailant then jumped a fence and fled in a car with another person (the same car they noticed outside). Meriweather and Cooper were roommates at the time. The house they were staying at is owned by defensive backs coach Tim Walton, and he rents it out to the playes (with approval from the school's compliance office.)
Meriweather's gun was completely legal, and it was clearly self defense. Meriweather's father is a dade county police officer, and Meriweather himself is a Criminology major. That is exactly what happened.

He is, and the media will be on a feeding frenzy if he in any way creates controversy. He's been warned about the NE media -- and now he knows. If he allows himself to become frustrated by dumb and/or personal questions he won't survive here. Once he suits up, his new teammates will hopefully show him the way. He's already learned how to say, "next question." And that won't score him many points with the local scribes and choir boys in this area. If he can manage to be tough (but respectful) with the media -- he'll be o.k.

You know Borges is itching to write an article blasting Meriweather - thankfully Borges is temporarily out of the picture. That's OK, he'll get his buddy Felger to do the dirty work instead. :rolleyes:

That's not exactly what happened. They noticed a strange car outside and went out to see what was going on. When they went outside an assailant wearing a bandanna jumped up from behind a bush, then confronted and shot Cooper in the butt. After Cooper was shot in the butt Meriweather returned fire, but didn't actually shoot anyone. The assailant then jumped a fence and fled in a car with another person (the same car they noticed outside). Meriweather and Cooper were roommates at the time. The house they were staying at is owned by defensive backs coach Tim Walton, and he rents it out to the playes (with approval from the school's compliance office.)
Meriweather's gun was completely legal, and it was clearly self defense. Meriweather's father is a dade county police officer, and Meriweather himself is a Criminology major. That is exactly what happened.

Thanks for this info.
Also, I just watched the video of the brawl, and #24 on the other team also stomped (first) - does anyone know if that player was called out and punished?

The brawl was such an odd and unlikely occurrence.

I think Meriweather may be the victim of some poor luck, with the brawl and the shooting incident. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Meriweather's nicknames:
The Hit Stick (because he throws his body around and makes hits you'd think only larger Safeties would make.)

Old School (Because his style of play can sometimes be considered "old school". I know there's another one but I cant think of it right now.

^yeah and u can actually argue Meriweather was helping teammates since FIU started it so he stomped on a guys leg while Seymour just did it it out of frustration
Yeah, exactly what I'm trying to say. It wasnt like he was doing it because he sucked that night or was just pissed or something like that. In other words he wasnt fighting for his own agenda. More believing that it was right as team captain to stand up for his team mates. Stupid but understandable.

This is kind of an offbeat question, but is Meriweather known to be a hard hitter or a head hunter? I want those WRs afraid to come into his and Rodney's territory.

07.mia.meriweather.jpg

tight!

Seriously though, he sounds like he did as good as can be expected in that interview. Plus he likes Rodney, so he's ok in my book.:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down