PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather Fined $50,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stand corrected; you are right. I saw a replay of the Mason hit on NFL Replay and it was not helmet to helmet and it was clearly inbounds. I don't know why he was fined for this hit.
I don't think he was, I think it was a hit in the end zone late in the game. I put up some high lights of the game and at the end they show Meriweather hitting heap. It is helmet to helmet but nothing like the first.

Last edited:
Does that mean no suspension then or could it still get announced Wedensday? Huge break for us if not, with Sanders and Page hurt

Does that mean no suspension then or could it still get announced Wedensday? Huge break for us if not, with Sanders and Page hurt

No suspension. And yes, that's huge, especially with the Pats taking on Antonio Gates:eek:

No suspension. And yes, that's huge, especially with the Pats taking on Antonio Gates:eek:

Fortunately for us, looks like the Chargers may be without Floyd.

Of all the controversial hits, I thought Dunta Robinson should not have been fined. No helmet to helmet hit and Desean still had the ball in his hands when he delivered the blow. As far as defenseless, are they saying he should allow him to make the catch and take a step before hitting him. No way.

Agree with you to a point, but he should have been fined and put on notice that a suspension would follow the next incident like this. Not because he could have hurt Jackson (he could have led with his shoulder and delivered the same pain), but because the next time Robinson could snap his own neck and be taken off the field on a slab. My son is going into high school next year and I told him I'm pulling him out of football the first time I see him duck his head to make a tackle. If the NFL is concerned about player safety, they can't allow players to deliver hits like that, particularly at full speed.

Harrison's were both vicious hits by an intense player, but they were both clearly helmet to helmet. I agree with a fine on the first one but the one against Cribbs, I thought helmet to helmet is OK when the guy is already running with the ball?

Harrison is a punk but he got a raw deal on these. Massaquoi ducked down at the last second. If Cribbs didn't get held up by Woodley just before the hit, Harrison would have likely connected with his shoulder or side. Looks to me like these fines were a lifetime achievement award.

Meriweather's hit was just stupid, and pretty cowardly. Heap was already on his way down and the ball was well out of his grasp. It was probably the least vicious, but just stupid and a fine was well deserved.

Totally agree. Meriweather needs to stay on his feed and recalibrate his strike zone. I don't think he is trying to headhunt, but his stupid attempts to deliver a de-cleater makes helmet-to-helmet contact almost inevitable.

My problem with all of the talk is that it is results-based and not technique-based. If you want to change behavior, punish the behavior. Harrison got punished even though he (for the most part) did everything right. Much like the Chung-to-Henne hit last year. When you have large armored humans running around at high velocity in a closed space, some bad things are going to happen.

Also, the league can't get hung up on technicalities. Ryan Clark could have crippled Welker and Perierra (I think?) said he thought it was perfectly legal. The only difference between Clark's hit and Meriweather's was that Mayo moved Heap a little before impact. You can't outlaw Meriweather's hit and allow Clark's and hope to have any notion of fairness, consistency and concern for player safety. It just becomes an unregulated tool for lashing out at players/teams whenever the league office feels like it.

Robinson (dangerous techique) and Meriweather (stupid technique) should be reprimanded regardless of the outcome of the play. If they don't change, suspend them. Just don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

He just lost 10% of his salary. Can he write it off and save a ton on taxes now?

Made me sick this morning at the gym hearing all the ESPN experts saying how "egregious" Merriweather's hit was, but saying the Harrison head shots were fine. In the immortal words of Mike Gundy, 'made me want to puke.'

Yeah....and that little tool and legendary patriot hated Hoge comes on and here is his opening statement: (not verbatim) there were 4 hits this Sunday that have people talking,but only one, only ONE is absolutely intolerable, dangerous, malicious, and Intentional...and that was (do we really need a drum roll here?)...brandon merriweather....amazing...Barney Rubble went on to say merriweather should be suspended (and if course others shouldn't...blah blah blah.....

Now I guess because duntha led with his shoulder pads and a "little" helmet to helmet got in there "by accident"....but oh yeah, he was flying at 100 mph and almost beheaded Jackson....while BM hit not even close to being that high speed violent....I am not condoning it...but please..mediots....please be somewhat non-biased on things will u? I know u hate the pats for ruling the league for a decade...but be fair...not sore a##ed losers.....GO PATS AND MERRIWEATHER!!!

I expected 25K, 50K is too much imo. BTW did the jets player who hit Welker helmet to helmet ever get fined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back