PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather apologizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool move ... props.

Good for him. Certainly a better response than Harrison, I'll give him that.

Brandon Meriweather: 'I Just Want All This to Go Away' - New England Patriots - NESN.com
Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather made a statement Wednesday regarding his helmet-to-helmet hit on Todd Heap and subsequent $50,000 fine from the league.

He appeared nervous, expressed remorse and did not answer follow-up questions addressing anything other than this weekend's game against the Chargers.

Meriweather: I just want this to go away - CSNNE.com
"To start off, I want to say, once again, I'm sorry for the hit," said Meriweather, without taking any questions about the incident. "I understand the league is trying to protect the [heads] of all our players. I don't even know how to put it, but to be honest, I just want all this to go away.

"I want to focus, with the rest of my team, on the Chargers, and really not let this come up again. I'm going to try my best to play within the rules, like our coach has always taught us. I'm going to hit and play the game like my coaches have always taught us."

Glad to read this, irrespective whether he did this voluntarily or was asked to do it by the higher powers.

Hopefully the lightbulb is going on.

So does this mean Meriweather won't be retiring over the fine?

I think the Patriots organization just straight up told BM to apologize for the hit, be genuine, and move forward like they always do...

He did that, and good on him and the team.

It already happened, he can't take it back. Just say you're sorry and fix what was broke on that particular play going forward. It's not rocket science people.

Of course the predictable haters are going to say, he was forced or taught to say this.

Ok, let's say he was. He at the very least said it. He approached the situation like a real man.

Now, on to the Chargers...

I think the Patriots organization just straight up told BM to apologize for the hit, be genuine, and move forward like they always do...

He did that, and good on him and the team.

It already happened, he can't take it back. Just say you're sorry and fix what was broke on that particular play going forward. It's not rocket science people.

Of course the predictable haters are going to say, he was forced or taught to say this.

Ok, let's say he was. He at the very least said it. He approached the situation like a real man.

Now, on to the Chargers...

Good for him. Last time the team asked someone to publicly apologize it didn't go so well. :)

I'm growing very damn tired of people acting like this was the cheapest hit in the NFL. Go watch golf.

Good for Meriweather and with some class. Now just maybe everybody can get off his back. Time to move on...

This is 100% BB or the ownership making him say that.

He was on EEI Monday singing a different tune.

He hasn't grown up since leaving the U.

I'm all for hard hitting plays but I'm not much of a BM fan. He'll give up an interception if he sees that he can pummel someone.

This is 100% BB or the ownership making him say that.

He was on EEI Monday singing a different tune.

He hasn't grown up since leaving the U.

I'm all for hard hitting plays but I'm not much of a BM fan. He'll give up an interception if he sees that he can pummel someone.

I believe Predictable Hater #1 has just entered the room.

I believe Predictable Hater #1 has just entered the room.

Why yes! Yes he has! Let's see how long it takes the rest of the nimrods to follow suit.

He may have changed his tune after Rodney reached out to him:

”He’s a guy that plays hard and I told him, specifically, I said, ‘Brandon, I’m calling you today because I don’t want you to make the same mistake I made, hitting guys and being known as a dirty player, and having that reputation.

”I made only two Pro Bowls and I compare my career up to all the best safeties,” Harrison went on. ”I made two Pro Bowls because everyone considered me a dirty player and didn’t appreciate what I actually did on the field. I said you’re too good of a player, you’re a hard-hitting guy, you’re a playmaker, I don’t want you to fall into the trap that I fell into. So I told him, I said, ‘Listen Brandon, take this (fine), take your medicine, come back, and play.”’

What was Meriweather’s response to Harrison?

”He said, ‘Rodney, I will lower my hitting area. I have to lower my hitting area,” Harrison told King and Tucker.

There you go. Message sent. Message received and understood. That's called learning from your mistakes and moving forward. It's what professionals do. It's what adults do. Man up and move forward.

Apparently there's a different sort of standard in Pittsburgh.

Just watched it. All I see is a young kid who made a mistake and apoligized, and luckily no permanent damage was done. Let's move on.

In response to everyone who bags on him for the giggling, it's pretty obvious he does it from being nervous. I am sure everyone who makes fun of him for it are highly eloquient public speakers, but not everyone was born that way, myself included. Giggling is a stress release. Sometimes even when my wife and I are fighting I start giggling (it doesn't go over very well, believe me). He's not doing it because he thinks the situation is funny, or because he feels like upsetting the Morals Police here at Patsfans; he does it because it's a natural reaction to him.

Just watched it. All I see is a young kid who made a mistake and apoligized, and luckily no permanent damage was done. Let's move on.

In response to everyone who bags on him for the giggling, it's pretty obvious he does it from being nervous. I am sure everyone who makes fun of him for it are highly eloquient public speakers, but not everyone was born that way, myself included. Giggling is a stress release. Sometimes even when my wife and I are fighting I start giggling (it doesn't go over very well, believe me). He's not doing it because he thinks the situation is funny, or because he feels like upsetting the Morals Police here at Patsfans; he does it because it's a natural reaction to him.

That giggle is clearly nerves. He came close in that apology but then got control and was fairly eloquent. Good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes