PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather and Wilhite should have let Addai score

Status
Not open for further replies.
They presented the scenario to Bill on WEEI and he said he never considered allowing a score. In fact he reminded them of the stop Willie made...ages ago.

He insists he didn't distrust his defense in going for it, just had utmost confidence in the offense to get the conversion based on personnel and play selection options, and that making it would have allowed them to run out all or most of the clock without giving back any control over the situation to the opponent.

I believe him, but I sure would've felt better with Brady out there with 70 seconds needing 40 yds or so then Colts 1st and goal at the 1.

They presented the scenario to Bill on WEEI and he said he never considered allowing a score. In fact he reminded them of the stop Willie made...ages ago.

Good, I'm glad to hear that. It's a chickensh!t way to win a game. I know I am in the minority here, but I don't believe you ever let the other team score. Every one is concerned about the message you send to the defense by going for it on 4th down instead of punting. I think you send a worse message to tell them to just let them score. This is a young defense and I think that would have been worse for their confidence.

I agree OP. I would have gone for it on 4th and 2 and I would have let them score as well.

I'm trying to win a game, who gives a rats ass about convention.

I agree, he scores there and we win the game by having 1:10 left on the clock to go down and kick a field goal, which we would have definately done.

Should we have let the Colts score in 03 or 04 when it went down to the line? Redickerous.

Should we have let the Colts score in 03 or 04 when it went down to the line? Redickerous.

In the '03 game, obviously not, because there would not have been any time remaining to regain the lead and win with the offense. In order for the Colts to get into the red zone in that game on the last drive, they actually had to have a sustained drive from their side of the field ....

Last edited:
I know I'm going to get absolutely blasted by some on here. And, I know being on the field it's tough to not believe in you and your mates on the defensive side of the ball. But, at that point everyone here knew the colts would score, and that they would try and leave as little time left. When addai breaks that run on the second play, you have to let him score. We would have had about 1:15 left to drive down the field to win the game with a field goal. Yes, it's easy to say this now. But, in all honesty as he broke off that run I honestly did scream "LET HIM SCORE, LET HIM SCORE." Our best chance at that point was to conserve time and give our offense a chance to win the game back.

In hindsight, that's probably the best thing to do. However as a player your instinct is to stop the guy in his tracks. The call would have had to come above from the coaches.

Or Ted Washington, the guy who actually made the play there but never gets any love. (watch the replay again).

Where is Terdell Sand?

He would have just danced around the one yard line to run out as much time as possible and we would be seeing him as well as Maurice Jones Drew replayed about 1,000 times on all the post game shows. And everyone would talk about how it is such smart football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back