PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather a corner??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironwasp

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted already, but I found this interesting little nugget on the net this morning from Jorge Milian, a writer who follows the Hurricans in Palm Beach.

Several interesting things here, chief among them that this guy sees Meriweather as a corner rather than a safety, and not least because: "Don’t forget that Meriweather virtually shut down Georgia Tech’s Calvin Johnson (5 catches, 68 yards) just a few weeks after he moved from safety to cornerback."

Also: "I dealt with Meriweather for four years and never thought of him as a troublemaker."

That's a definite positive.

And a piece from the Standard-Times, which has spoken to his high school coach, who says the character stuff is totally overblown and Meriweather will fit right in here in NE.

Maybe Jackie MacMullan and the CHB should have done some research and spoken to some people who knew Meriweather before their character assassination crap over the weekend.

Maybe Jackie MacMullan and the CHB should have done some research and spoken to some people who knew Meriweather before their character assassination crap over the weekend.

Think before you write? That would be a new one for a lot of the Globe gang.

Meriweather has played FS, SS, and CB. My gut tells me he will play FS, but it's good to have the flexibility.

but that would have required..work! everyone knows only a few guys like mike reiss do that.

And a piece from the Standard-Times, which has spoken to his high school coach, who says the character stuff is totally overblown and Meriweather will fit right in here in NE.

You know, Im betting that yahoos like MacMullan and CHB were arguing that teachers and students should carry guns to protect themselves against the potential of a Virginia-Tech-type killer. And here they are bagging on Meriweather.

Felger is going to look foolish once again,(or should I say, perpetually). When I briefly visited his station yesterday I thought I was hearing a re-broadcast as he was on the same rant, as the day before, about the Meriwether shooting. Things like "why didn't he just call police if he saw a suspicious car, isn't that what you'd do?", and sure he was getting ready to go work out at 6am(heavy sarcasm). God, Felger's become such a gossipy-b*tch!!@!! Talk about a smear campaign before the kid even puts foot on field!~!!:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies if this has been posted already, but I found this interesting little nugget on the net this morning from Jorge Milian, a writer who follows the Hurricans in Palm Beach.

Several interesting things here, chief among them that this guy sees Meriweather as a corner rather than a safety, and not least because: "Don’t forget that Meriweather virtually shut down Georgia Tech’s Calvin Johnson (5 catches, 68 yards) just a few weeks after he moved from safety to cornerback."

Also: "I dealt with Meriweather for four years and never thought of him as a troublemaker."

That's a definite positive.

His flexability, I'm sure, kicked him up on our board.

His flexability, I'm sure, kicked him up on our board.

Yes, it's good to know he might be in a position to cover across the backfield. I guess anyone capable of keeping Calvin Johnson quiet has some ability to play CB.

Felger is going to look foolish once again,(or should I say, perpetually). When I briefly visited his station yesterday I thought I was hearing a re-broadcast as he was on the same rant, as the day before, about the Meriwether shooting. Things like "why didn't he just call police if he saw a suspicious car, isn't that what you'd do?", and sure he was getting ready to go work out at 6am(heavy sarcasm). God, Felger's become such a gossipy-b*tch!!@!! Talk about a smear campaign before the kid even puts foot on field!~!!:mad:

See, Felger thinks they were still rollin' from the night before, which if true wouldn't really matter. Thing is Cooper & Meriweather were up at 6am because they were supposed to attend a team workout. Felger might want to learn all the facts before he goes spouting off.

Back to the subject, Meriweather can and will play CB. That all said I believe his main role will be at FS. Dean Peas already said, his main role will be at Safety, but they will use him at CB in certain situations.

I also think Meriweather could play CB if either Samuel or Hobbs go down with injury, and I think he could play SS if Rodney goes down. Knowing Meriweather's game I actually trust him at SS more than Eugene. Meriweather will play deep, but he also likes playing close to the LOS, he's very good at blitzing off the edge, or up the middle, and he likes playing the run.

Last edited:
Yes, it's good to know he might be in a position to cover across the backfield. I guess anyone capable of keeping Calvin Johnson quiet has some ability to play CB.

He also went 4 other games without allowing a single reception.

Actually the only thing the Globe and Herald Sports sections are good for is lining the bottom of the bird cage or use as a new puppy's toilet, because they're both full of crap anyway! I don't buy either paper and only read Reiss on the internet. Both papers sports sections are useless drivel in my opinion.
:bricks:

I think it makes sense, I think corner is easier to play than safety (where you're basically the quarterback of the defense). Let him play some relief role for a year or two (maybe make him the nickel/dime back) and let him learn the system before he takes over as safety.

I think it makes sense, I think corner is easier to play than safety (where you're basically the quarterback of the defense). Let him play some relief role for a year or two (maybe make him the nickel/dime back) and let him learn the system before he takes over as safety.

Eugene played Safety his rookie season, and he was a college CB. Meriweather was a Safety in college, who sometimes played CB. Honestly, I think Meriweather's starting at FS this season.

but that would have required..work! everyone knows only a few guys like mike reiss do that.

Exactly. Tomase had a great article on Moss the day after the draft where he called up Jermaine Wiggins and got his take on Moss as a player AND a teammate. Those guys both do a really good job, and they work hard.

Actually the only thing the Globe and Herald Sports sections are good for is lining the bottom of the bird cage or use as a new puppy's toilet, because they're both full of crap anyway! I don't buy either paper and only read Reiss on the internet. Both papers sports sections are useless drivel in my opinion.
:bricks:

If you're not reading the Herald's "Point After" and anything by John Tomase, you're really missing out. I agree with you about the Globe-besides-Reiss, though.

i think with the position flexibility we have with him, AD and wilson, you're going to see guys lining up all over the place pretty frequently next season.

I'm thinking that a Miami safety taken with the 24th pick, why have him play corner when we can have our very own Ed Reed laying out the hits. I mean, would Reed be better served playing corner? No. It's going to be amazing with a devastating safety like that roaming the field.

The line between safeties and corners is getting more and more blurred. You are getting a lot of safeties who have the quickness and coverage skills to play corner, and it seems that the big, linebacker type safeties are becoming more obselete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes