PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Merged x3) It's All Happening!!! PFT Now Blames The NFL For Tarnishing The PATS Image

Not at all! The Saints case isn't even comparable. There were multiple guilty people there. Who is guilty of deflating balls here?

Delve deeply into Bountygate, and I think you'll be very surprised at what much of the 'evidence' turned out to be. Most of Bountygate amounted to the same sort of team building that you see even at lower levels (money/prize for good hits, etc....). Really, that's how OSU gives out its buckeyes in College (more so in the past than the present, but still).

How it is that much different? Sean Payton claimed that he had no former knowledge of the practice, which was stated by many others as well. As I said, Goodell claimed that his "ignorance was not an excuse."

As far as the rules go....if the balls were under inflated, they were under inflated. There's still the possibility that the asshat who is Roger Goodell will still give us a fine for that unexplained phenomenon. We've gone over this possibility every single day this week in multiple threads.

I'm just hoping that they state that we didn't openly cheat, that's all. If they find that there's no sufficient evidence of that, I'd be just fine. While I'm hoping/wishing on a star for full exoneration and an apology, that's probably fairly unlikely to happen.

How many people do you know run your entire franchise through the mud the week before the Super Bowl, then suddenly stand up, admit their faults, and apologize? Those two things don't even go together.

So you are saying that Belichick was incorrect when he said that the organization followed every rule to the letter and errs on the side of caution?

So you are saying that Belichick was incorrect when he said that the organization followed every rule to the letter and Rees on the side of caution?

I assume that you mean "erred on the side of caution?"

You're putting words in my mouth, 100 percent. I'm not speaking anything about Bill Belichick.

I stated that I wouldn't be remotely surprised that the asshat who is Roger Goodell may still end up fining us due to the fact that technically-- it's still an equipment violation, since the balls were underinflated. Would you really be that surprised to see that happen?

I just want to be exonerated from cheating...that's what it's really about. I have a hard time seeing how the NFL won't try to save face in some way.

I assume that you mean "erred on the side of caution?"

You're putting words in my mouth, 100 percent. I'm not speaking anything about Bill Belichick.

I stated that I wouldn't be remotely surprised that the asshat who is Roger Goodell may still end up fining us due to the fact that technically-- it's still an equipment violation, since the balls were underinflated. Would you really be that surprised to see that happen?

I just want to be exonerated from cheating...that's what it's really about. I have a hard time seeing how the NFL won't try to save face in some way.

I just don't understand how you would be okay with it. I would not be okay with getting fined when NOBODY did anything wrong.

I just don't understand how you would be okay with it. I would not be okay with getting fined when NOBODY did anything wrong.

Everyone already knows the balls were under inflated. That's a fact. It isn't going away.

We can come up with any defense we want--some reasonable (weather factors), and some not (Chewbacca, Aliens, etc). It doesn't mean that Roger Goodell is definitely going to accept it. The guy's a loose cannon.

I'm just hoping that he states that there's not enough sufficient evidence to find that we cheated. That's the most important factor in my opinion. In the meantime, the fact that the balls were under inflated won't be going away, so as much as I hate to say it, I can envision some scenarios where the team still gets fined for an equipment violation--sure.

Obviously hope that's not the case, of course. It's probably not terribly likely, but I can envision it.

He'd have to find another rule though because I don't recall anything that states definitively that balls under inflated AFTER the game is a violation. The rule just states that the referees have to make sure that they are within 12.5 to 13.5 psi when they check them before the game and that they can not be tampered with once checked.

I wonder where the media outrage will be if the Patriots aren't found guilty of tampering with the footballs? I mean, this has been over all news networks and with the number of people coming down hard and using a single leaked story (not backed up or confirmed by any source) as if it was the absolute truth (and without knowing the full process/chain of custody of footballs) to condemn a man (BB) and a team of continued lying and cheating.

And mostly, they get their facts wrong. for example, when BB was asked about the cameraman, did he ever lie and deny what he did? I don't believe he did. As for breaking the rule, he's already commented on that and the way the NFL dealt with it made it a far worse thing (even though the NFL admitted it gave them no competitive advantage).

Will the entire media do a mea culpa? not likely, they are far too arrogant and went too far in their opinions. Some organizations will cover it in detail, the rest will just sweep it under the rug.

Still, let's hope these new rumors (exonerating the Patriots) are true. And the NFL has some 'splaining to do. They've left the Patriots hanging for this and as the commentary has spread way beyond normal football fans and news.

He'd have to find another rule though because I don't recall anything that states definitively that balls under inflated AFTER the game is a violation. The rule just states that the referees have to make sure that they are within 12.5 to 13.5 psi when they check them before the game and that they can not be tampered with once checked.

Valid point, although I rival Joker when trusting the offices of the NFL.

One good aspect is that now that there is a 3rd party law firm behind things, it may not be the super biased show that it would've been simply with Goodell.

Everyone already knows the balls were under inflated. That's a fact. It isn't going away.

We can come up with any defense we want--some reasonable (weather factors), and some not (Chewbacca, Aliens, etc). It doesn't mean that Roger Goodell is definitely going to accept it. The guy's a loose cannon.

I'm just hoping that he states that there's not enough sufficient evidence to find that we cheated. That's the most important factor in my opinion. In the meantime, the fact that the balls were under inflated won't be going away, so as much as I hate to say it, I can envision some scenarios where the team still gets fined for an equipment violation--sure.

Obviously hope that's not the case, of course. It's probably not terribly likely, but I can envision it.

How rarely I disagree with you, but in this case I do.

The rule states that the ball has to be at a certain pressure after having been checked by the referee (no law against delivering balls that are then rejected). Of course, if they are then deliberately tampered with that's a violation, but if they then deflate through natural causes that's not something that can be blamed on the Patriots.

You say that Goodell held Payton responsible for Bountygate even though he didn't know about it (or, at least, his story that he didn't know about it wasn't challenged). But that's quite different.

If an employee engages in malfeasance it's not unreasonable to hold his manager responsible on the basis that the manager should have been properly supervising his subordinate. Just as in 2007, BB took responsibility for the location of the filming, whether or not he personally instructed the filming to take place where it did. He should have known and he accepted that he should have known.

In my opinion, the NFL has to either punish them for cheating (with proof) or leave them alone. Saying that there wasn't sufficient evidence to enforce a punishment still comes off sounding like they cheated, but they were good in covering their tracks. It gives the doubters too much wiggle room.

BB has been on the record stating that he followed the rules and put the onus on the refs to deliver balls that were at the correct PSI. He even admitted their process of preparation could lower the PSI by .5 even after the Refs check the ball (without anyone touching them). In other words, the equipment manager did use the rule to their advantage and complied. If they want to get more strict, then they have to change the rule after the season.

Mike the Brit already commented on why this case is different than the Saints case.

They were not under inflated according to the NFL. The NFL says that all the balls were checked at the time laid out in the rules and that all balls "met the standard". From that point on, the balls are the sole responsibility of the referee.

From the onset of this investigation, have questioned the phrase about "2 pounds under the limit".. the NFL has never clarified if it was the higher limit or lower limit.. so the deflated ball could have been between 10.5 and 11.5 lbs.

This whole "entrapment" thing is concerning, why would they try to pull that off on one of the NFL's biggest stages???... if they were alerted on 11/16 why wait until this game.

The NFL, Kensil and Goodell have f...ed this whole thing up, and after an initial investigation that showed nothing, instead of saying so have launched a huge investigation to try to save face...

And of course the serial drug abuser is chirping in the background.. this is code for you better find those bastards guilty of something..

Jim Irsay ✔ @JimIrsay

We are confident the NFL and Commissioner will address the concerns that arouse from our Champ Game. The integrity of the game is critical.

Goodell creates the rules as he goes along so expect punishment. Anyone who thinks this law firm is impartial is naive. They will follow the party line like the one that exonerated Goodell in Ricegate. The only person for which ignorance is an excuse id surprise Goodell.

Cant seem to get enough of this

ib1IiJKmpDOP9Y.gif

And of course the serial drug abuser is chirping in the background.. this is code for you better find those bastards guilty of something..
Interesting that he is tweeting. Good PR move.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back