PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Merged: Speculation on additional WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Vincent Jackson on Revis Island

2008 - Week 3 ---> 3 rec for 73 yds including 60 yarder.
2009 - Div rd of Playoffs ---> 7 rec for 111 yds

We have the picks. I'm just saying....

Also, game by game playoff performances....
2006 vs Pats ---> 2 rec for 43 yds
2007 vs Ten ---> 5 rec for 114 yds and TD
2007 vs Ind ---> 7 rec for 93 yds and TD
2007 vs Pats ---> 6 rec for 93 yds
2008 vs Pitt ---> 2 rec for 49 yds and TD
2009 vs NYJ ---> 7 rec for 111 yds (vs Revis)

We have the picks, the money and the need. In all of this guy's interviews he seems to have his head on straight. He's just made a couple mistakes as a young man. The guy can play and he plays in big games.

Also that game in 2008 vs the Jets. Revis was covering Chris Chambers and Jackson was covered by rookie CB Dwight Lowery who got torched pretty badly. To be fair though, Revis did allow a TD to Chambers in that game. He's gettable for allowing 1 TD per season 2008 = Chambers, 2009 = Ted Ginn Jr (Yea I'm not counting that short range pass from Brady to Moss), 2010 = Randy Moss.

I was on the Jackson bandwagon.... until I realized that he is 1 infraction away from being suspended for a year.:eek:

what did he do and who did he kill???:confused:

Vincent Jackson=less talent & more serious issues than Moss + more expensive in draft picks and contract demands than Moss and 1 screwup away from a 1 yr suspension.

They do it and I'm tempted to become a Chiefs fan instead.

Yeah, what was I thinking. I'd rather have Tate instead.

Guys, he had 7 catches for over 100 yds against last year's #1 ranked defense. Revis was on him for several of the catches, and the majority of them were on square-ins. Jackson has absolutely no fear of coming across the middle, is a great deep threat (look at his career ypc) and he's one of the best blocking WRs out there. I'm not saying he's anywhere near the talent of Moss, but I do think he can bring some skills the Pats deperately need. The Chargers face losing him for nothing, and we have picks to spare and available $$. What is the down side??

Guys, he had 7 catches for over 100 yds against last year's #1 ranked defense. Revis was on him for several of the catches, and the majority of them were on square-ins. Jackson has absolutely no fear of coming across the middle, is a great deep threat (look at his career ypc) and he's one of the best blocking WRs out there. I'm not saying he's anywhere near the talent of Moss, but I do think he can bring some skills the Pats deperately need. The Chargers face losing him for nothing, and we have picks to spare and available $$. What is the down side??

No down side aside from the fact that we'd have to completely overpay for him. The Chargers have said time and time again that they don't want to trade him within the AFC and, if they do, the compensation would have to be mind boggling.

I say go bring back Sam Aiken. He is not a good #1 or #2 option but as a #4 option he can be a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He knows the offense and would probably be the best FA option available. Darnell Jenkins had a good preseason so maybe him.

Re: Please trade for Calvin Johnson

If I had the opportunity to secure an elite 29 year old flanker who plays his ass off, is a high character guy, and a legit leader, I would certainly think he's worth franchise tag money.

Definitely, not really sure what's so controversial about that. It would take more than we got more Moss, which sucks, but if the Pats went and traded for Evans at some point over the bye week, I'd be pretty pumped.

No down side aside from the fact that we'd have to completely overpay for him. The Chargers have said time and time again that they don't want to trade him within the AFC and, if they do, the compensation would have to be mind boggling.

Huh? Didn't the Vikes offer just a 2nd rounder, which SD rejected? I think we have more than enough picks in 2011 to put together a package that would make AJ Smith get all tingly in his leg, and still be sitting pretty with draft picks of our own. And the whole in-conference thing is overstated--maybe within the division, but the Chargers aren't going to do jack this year and we're no threat to them.

We have so many picks right now it's almost borderline comedy. But we all know how BB likes to wheel and deal on draft day. It's the one thing he still seems to get a kick out of at this point in his career. Seriously.

Myself, I'd rather have a guy like Jackson, or an established DE/OLB or CB beast than all the high picks that BB is going to be playing his games with on draft day.

Last edited:

No he's not Reggie Wayne. Not even close. I will agree that he has had some sucktacular QBs. But good receivers produce regardless. Irving Fryar had 1,000 yard seasons with who throwing to him?

wayne
Reggie Wayne: Career Stats

evans
Lee Evans: Career Stats

You're underestimating how terrible Buffalo's QB situation has been. They're 32nd in the league in passing even after facing our crap secondary. Trent Edwards was incapable of throwing the ball downfield. I'm not even realy joking when I say that he just couldn't do it. Evans has elite talent, but it doesn't matter how good a WR is downfield if a QB is incapable of throwing the ball there.

Last edited:
Bring back Buddy Farnham:D

buddy-farnham-new-england-patriots.jpg

Last edited:

Since you asked, all the numbers are managable going forward. I would trade a 1st and a 2nd for Calvin Johnson.
Calvin Johnson

"8/3/2007: Signed a six-year, $55.5 million contract. The deal contains $27.178 million guaranteed, including an initial roster bonus of $2.502 million and his base salaries in years four and five. Another $8.5 million is available through incentives. 2010: $3,276,813, 2011: $3,973,500, 2012: $4,670,188, 2013: Free Agent"
Thanks.................

You're underestimating how terrible Buffalo's QB situation has been. They're 32nd in the league in passing even after facing our crap secondary. Trent Edwards was incapable of throwing the ball downfield. I'm not even realy joking when I say that he just couldn't do it. Evans has elite talent, but it doesn't matter how good a WR is downfield if a QB is incapable of throwing the ball there.
Not to mention that very rarely was any of their QB's given suitable time by their OL to throw the ball downfield. Not unless they could throw it 70 yards as they were being face planted into the turf.

Evans would be ideal in this offense.

Last edited:
The Calvin Johnson talk is a joke right? Why would detroit give up their one playmaker for draft picks? Especially since how well he plays with Stafford.

I say go bring back Sam Aiken. He is not a good #1 or #2 option but as a #4 option he can be a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He knows the offense and would probably be the best FA option available. Darnell Jenkins had a good preseason so maybe him.

Darnell Jenkins is lightning quick. His biggest problem is his poor route running. In this offense, that's a liability that he cannot afford to have.

Huh? Didn't the Vikes offer just a 2nd rounder, which SD rejected? I think we have more than enough picks in 2011 to put together a package that would make AJ Smith get all tingly in his leg, and still be sitting pretty with draft picks of our own. And the whole in-conference thing is overstated--maybe within the division, but the Chargers aren't going to do jack this year and we're no threat to them.

We have so many picks right now it's almost borderline comedy. But we all know how BB likes to wheel and deal on draft day. It's the one thing he still seems to get a kick out of at this point in his career. Seriously.

Myself, I'd rather have a guy like Jackson, or an established DE/OLB or CB beast than all the high picks that BB is going to be playing his games with on draft day.

1. Minnesota is in the NFC. It would have taken less for them to get Jackson.

2. San Diego's not wanting to trade him within the conference isn't overstated. They admitted as much. An in-conference team, especially one which they have to play during the season, would have to pay a much more steep price for Jackson's services.

3. I'd rather use all high picks to continue to total rebuilding of the front seven. Good front sevens make good defenses. Good defenses with ball controlling offenses win championships.

4. If we're going to give up picks to trade for a WR, I'd rather not pay through the nose for a guy who is one strike away from a long term suspension.

Darnell Jenkins is lightning quick. His biggest problem is his poor route running. In this offense, that's a liability that he cannot afford to have.

1. Minnesota is in the NFC. It would have taken less for them to get Jackson.

2. San Diego's not wanting to trade him within the conference isn't overstated. They admitted as much. An in-conference team, especially one which they have to play during the season, would have to pay a much more steep price for Jackson's services.

3. I'd rather use all high picks to continue to total rebuilding of the front seven. Good front sevens make good defenses. Good defenses with ball controlling offenses win championships.

4. If we're going to give up picks to trade for a WR, I'd rather not pay through the nose for a guy who is one strike away from a long term suspension.

1. Maybe it would have taken more than Minny offered, but the question is how much more?? If it is a 2nd and a 5th or something like that, I'm in.

2. Of course SD said that. It's called leverage. They want all teams to think they have to throw the farm at them, and if they convince an AFC team they have to offer more than an NFC team, they'll do it. Again, how much more is the question.

3. Use all picks to rebuild??? How many years do you think Brady has left?? This should not be about rebuilding, it should be about what the Pats can do to win now without hurting their future. They have enough draft picks to do both. 6 picks in the first 3 rounds! You know if they give up one or two of these, BB can leverage the Oak 1st or ours into additional picks. We cannot only be relying on the development of draft picks while we still have Brady in his prime. The front 7 can be built with the picks we have left and free agency.

4. Pay through the nose? Actually I think we could save some $$ by trying to work out a deal with him in a trade instead of pursuing someone of his ability in free agency. In watching interviews with the guy, and reading everything coming out of SD about him, he seems like a mature guy who made a couple of mistakes (DUI) as a young man. He seems to have learned from these. Do you think Minny is regretting trading for Jared Allen who had a similar situation when he was traded? When you have the opportunity to get proven playmakers in their prime for reasonable draft picks, especially those that appear to fit a huge need, I believe it's well worth it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey