PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Merged] Patriots Quest for the #1 seed in the AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you really think this offense is good enough to win 9 straight?

Considering they are the #1 offense in the NFL (yards + points), yes.

do you really think this Defense is good enough to win 9 straight?

Their defense overall is middle-of-the-pack. The pass defense has looked downright embarrassing.

Regardless, an awful secondary can be overcome, especially when you have the best offense in the NFL to counter it on the other side. For reference, the 4 worst pass defenses in the NFL last season were...

29. Giants (9-7) *Super Bowl Champions*
30. Saints (13-3)
31. Patriots (13-3) *AFC Champions*
32. Packers (15-1)

Also, despite the awful pass defense, we were able to defeat the best QB we will see on our schedule this year, Peyton Manning.

"Are the Ravens leaps & bounds better than the Patriots?" In terms of defense, uh, hell effin ya. :eek:

Defense (YPG)
Patriots: 376.0
Ravens: 400.0

Defense (PPG)
Ravens: 23.0
Patriots: 23.3

We have, of course, not played identical schedules, regardless, with such statistics after 7 games I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that the Ravens have performed "leaps and bounds" better defensively.

The second part is confidence and momentum going into the playoffs

No doubt about that. Regardless, the ultimate goal of the regular season is to get the #1 seed.

I love the home team as much as the next guy, but there comes a point where we have to acknowledge certain things from time to time .. Did you see what the product on the field is today?

Of course I can acknowledge the negatives.

The secondary has been embarrassing, our time-management/decision making has been uncharacteristically baffling at times this season (settling for the FG attempt against the Cardinals, last week's end-of-half drive that ended in 0 points, etc.) and we have now failed to keep three 2 score 4th quarter leads. (Though we ultimately came through in the clutch today, a very positive sign in a game full of negative ones)

On paper, it's hard to believe this game was kept within two scores. Just as it was hard to believe that the Texans also were only able to defeat the Revis-less Jets by less than a touchdown.

I don't know why everyone is coming into this thread bashing the OP on his scenario that the Pats can get the #1 seed. It's optimistic and a fair possibility. The Patriots aren't as much of a joke as some of you think.

Right on.

I felt the board needed a counter perspective to all the doom-and-gloom threads and people conceding that this team is now suddenly no longer worthy of competing for one of the top two seeds.

I think a 9 game streak is very ambitious on your part.

Absolutely.

I do not find it out of the realm of possibility though.

Last year is last year, but just to note, if the Patriots defeat the Rams next week, they will improve to 5-3. The same exact record they were after 8 games last season, where after coming off back-to-back losses, they proceeded to go 9-0 and finish 13-3.

Last edited:
people might think OP is taking out of his ass and might be smoking some good ****, but the AFC is soooooooooo weak this year it's not even funny. With only 2-3 teams having records above .500 and a horrible record against the NFC for every AFC team this year, it is very possible we are still having a good shot at making the #1 or #2 seeds this year. Funny isn't it? Remember the years we won the SB we all had not so good regular seasons, team will get tested this way, and this young team need a lot tests, because I can almost see they are getting used to play like front runners, that's why we sucked as a team in 4th quarter. playing from behind more in the regluar season will change that!

...I felt the board needed a counter perspective to all the doom-and-gloom threads and people conceding that this team is now suddenly no longer worthy of competing for one of the top two seeds...

It's pretty clear that the team, as currently playing, is not worthy of competing for one of the top 2 seeds. That's not doom and gloom. That's the reality of the Patriots not being a good football team right now. They're catching a break, because the Ravens and Steelers are racked by injuries, the Colts are in full rebuild mode, and the AFC is down overall, but that doesn't mean that they are anything approaching worthy right now.

It's the "5" gloating for being better looking than the "2s and 3s". In the meantime, the other conference has a bunch of "8s" and a "9" or two.

It's pretty clear that the team, as currently playing, is not worthy of competing for one of the top 2 seeds.

I do not see how it is "clear" that we are not even "anything approaching worthy" of being discussed as a team that can surpass the Baltimore Ravens.

Head-to-Head (@ Baltimore)
Ravens: 31
Patriots: 30

Record
Ravens: 5-2 (Net Points: 13) (SOV: .364) (SOS: .457)
Patriots: 4-3 (Net Points: 51) (SOV: .444) (SOS: .521)

Offense

PPG
Patriots: 1st (31.3)
Ravens: 11th (26.8)

YPG
Patriots: 1st (436.1)
Ravens: 17th (355.1)

Defense

YPG
Patriots: 23rd (376.0)
Ravens: 26th (400.0)

PPG
Ravens: 16th-T (23.0)
Patriots: 17th (23.3)

Last edited:
I do not see how it is "clear" that we are not even "anything approaching worthy" of being discussed as a team that can surpass the Baltimore Ravens.

Where did I say that the Ravens were playing in a manner worthy of a #2 seed? Right now, the AFC is a one team conference. Outside of the Texans, we're basically looking at a lot of garbage.

And the Patriots are a part of that garbage.

Last edited:
If Stephen Hill didn't drop that easy pass, we'd have lost this game. The Jets are a bad team, yet we almost lost to them. At this point, I just want the Pats to improve. We are trending down. Our first game against TEN was our best performance. It's gotten worst and that is unlike a BB team to trend downwards.

I've given up hope that our defense will improve. But I'm still hopeful that McD will wake up and realize what this team does best offensively.

If we go win the rest of our games, I would not be surprised. Our offense has that kind of potential. But if we end up playing .500 ball the rest of the way, I also wouldn't be surprised either. No imagination on defense and McD doing his best to prove his genius.

Our crowd sucks so bad home field doesn't apply to the Pats.

If Lloyd and the secondary continue their F minus play, we don't get to the playoffs.

I don't know if the Pats have what it takes to even make the playoffs. They have taken a step or two backwards this year. Clutch is not the team's motto anymore.

I don't know if the Pats have what it takes to even make the playoffs. They have taken a step or two backwards this year. Clutch is not the team's motto anymore.

Fortunately, the AFC is garbage right now. At 4-3, the Patriots are all alone in the conference's #3 spot, and the Ravens look to be in real trouble without Lewis and Webb.

The Texans are a winnable game, Green Bay is built similar too us from the great offense/poor defense perspective and beat Houston, so I wouldn't rule that game out. SF concerns me though, built like Seattle but a little better. It helps that we will be at home though.

And we played the Ravens to the last possession for what turned out to be a 1 pt. game with questionable refereeing, it's not out of the question for this team to contend for a bye

And we played the Ravens to the last possession for what turned out to be a 1 pt. game with questionable refereeing, it's not out of the question for this team to contend for a bye

It wasn't long ago that the 3 best teams were obviously in the AFC, and the battle for the #4 team wasn't a given for the NFC. Now the situation seems nearly reversed.

Giants
Bears
49ers
Falcons

Would any AFC team be favored against any of them, even at home?

It wasn't long ago that the 3 best teams were obviously in the AFC, and the battle for the #4 team wasn't a given for the NFC. Now the situation seems nearly reversed.

Giants
Bears
49ers
Falcons

Would any AFC team be favored against any of them, even at home?
I've been underwhelmed by the Bears, and the two Giants games this year the Dallas game and Browns game I wasn't impressed with them either. 49ers and Falcons are legit.

The AFC runs through Houston, as crazy as that sounds. But Baltimore sucks, and we can get the #2 seed.

The AFC runs through Houston, as crazy as that sounds. But Baltimore sucks, and we can get the #2 seed.

an AFCCG in Houston is very winnable

Baltimore doesn't suck. With the trend last season, Baltimore struggles on the road.

Reed is banged up, Ngata is banged up, Webb is done, Lewis is done, Suggs is still recovering from an off-season ACL tear.

Reed is banged up, Ngata is banged up, Webb is done, Lewis is done, Suggs is still recovering from an off-season ACL tear.
Since the Arizona Cardinals game, the New England Patriots pass defense has not improved one bit. Meanwhile, the New England Patriots offense has struggled two games in a row. No team in the NFL will roll over for the New England Patriots this season.

Since the Arizona Cardinals game, the New England Patriots pass defense has not improved one bit. Meanwhile, the New England Patriots offense has struggled two games in a row. No team in the NFL will roll over for the New England Patriots this season.

that has nothing to do with the post you quoted... Kemoeatu and Smith are also banged up, more than half the Ravens starting defense is injured. And in the Seattle game the offense played well compared to what other teams did against the Seattle D. The D has struggled, but it certainly isn't the worst in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes