PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Merged] Patriots Quest for the #1 seed in the AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Patriots are currently the #3 seed in the AFC.

If you break it down, the Patriots can get the #1 seed if...

1. We finish 9-0
-We will be favored in every single remaining game.
-We only play 2 more teams with a current winning record (both prime-time at home).
-We only have 3 more games on the road, all against teams with losing records. (+ a neutral game)

2. Texans lose one additional game (paired with a loss to us)
-The Texans have a very easy schedule, but do play two more teams with a current winning record, @ Chicago on Sunday Night Football and vs Minnesota.

3. Ravens lose 2 more games
-This seems extremley likely, as their week 11-16 schedule alone is...
@ Steelers
@ Chargers
vs Steelers
@ Redskins
@ Broncos
vs Giants
@ Bengals

Of course, there are countless other scenarios, but that's the obviously the least confusing one.

This thread is not meant to imply any of the above is easy, (especially with the results so far this season), but rather just an optimistic presentation of what is ahead of us. Also, I'm aware "if we win out, we'll have a high seed!" isn't a real eye-opening statement.

Have the last few weeks lowered your expectations for this team or do you still see them contending for one of the top two seeds?

Last edited:
LOL... I'm just looking for them to make the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure we won't be favored in that Texans matchup unless we win huge every game until then.

Making this thread now is as worthless as making it last March.

We all know Baltimore,New England and Houston are making the playoffs in the AFC barring any one of their QBs going on IR

Everything else is unimportant.

They were lucky to beat the Jets. Perhaps we could follow their quest to play a decent game before worrying about their quest for the #1 seed....

I'm pretty sure we won't be favored in that Texans matchup unless we win huge every game until then.

I can see it now

New England -1 1/2 vs. Houston

New England -3 1/2 vs. SF

Houston will get #1 seed

wow .. really? talking #1 seed huh? :bricks:

Do you believe the Ravens or Texans are leaps & bounds better than the Patriots?

Making this thread now is as worthless as making it last March.

We all know Baltimore,New England and Houston are making the playoffs in the AFC barring any one of their QBs going on IR

Everything else is unimportant.

Making a thread 8 weeks into the season is quite different than making a thread in March, that should go without saying.

Getting that first-week bye an ideally complete home-field advantage is of great importance.

Do you believe the Ravens or Texans are leaps & bounds better than the Patriots?

Making a thread 8 weeks into the season is quite different than making a thread in March, that should go without saying.

Getting that first-week bye an ideally complete home-field advantage is of great importance.

Have you checked to see which of the past SB winners of the last decade won with the Bye week seeds?

You would be surprised

The first part of importance is playing well into January

The second part is confidence and momentum going into the playoffs

If you have those 2 things going for you,you don't worry about seeding.....ask the Giants for one proof.

Last edited:
did you watch todays game? or last weeks game...or the week before...or the week before...or the week before?

do you really think this Defense is good enough to win 9 straight. do you really think this offense is good enough to win 9 straight?

i certainly hope so but based on 7 games, I will take a playoff appearance

I love the home team as much as the next guy, but there comes a point where we have to acknowledge certain things from time to time .. Did you see what the product on the field is today? This team is lethargic, displays no passion whatsoever .. (except Spikes) .. Honestly, what is this team good at? It's like it is just there taking up space .. All of them just kinda roam around saying "oh shucks" ... But any who .. to answer your question... yes, those teams are leaps n bounds ahead of the Patriots in my opinion ...

10-6 will win the AFCE

10-6 will provide one home game AT LEAST

The Jets are not winning 7 of their next 9
The Bills are not winning 7 of their next 9
The Dolphins are not winning 7 of their next 10

Lets go 10-6,get the 3rd seed and be happy with that.

With this defense and sad sack coaching,that alone is a huge accomplishment

I don't know why everyone is coming into this thread bashing the OP on his scenario that the Pats can get the #1 seed. It's optimistic and a fair possibility. The Patriots aren't as much of a joke as some of you think. The 4 point margin in 3 losses says it all. No loss came as an easy win for any of those opposing teams and we could have easily had the #1 seed if some calls were made/ balls bounced in our favor. We have Hernandez back and the Gronk is catching fire... The Defense has had it's ups and downs but I expect them to get better. Some lessons to be learned for some players on this team.

I love the home team as much as the next guy, but there comes a point where we have to acknowledge certain things from time to time .. Did you see what the product on the field is today? This team is lethargic, displays no passion whatsoever .. (except Spikes) .. Honestly, what is this team good at? It's like it is just there taking up space .. All of them just kinda roam around saying "oh shucks" ... But any who .. to answer your question... yes, those teams are leaps n bounds ahead of the Patriots in my opinion ...

The Ravens D is not leaps and bounds better than the pats..they are better..but still give up 5,000 yards a game just like the pats do and we have a better O.

Ravens give up 400 yards a game...that is leaps and bounds ahead? LOL

Last edited:
#1 seed?! Patriots are 4-3. They're not even close to winning the division yet. And Miami will be tough to beat... you'll see

Last edited:
The Patriots are currently the #3 seed in the AFC.

If you break it down, the Patriots can get the #1 seed if...

1. We finish 9-0
-We will be favored in every single remaining game.
-We only play 2 more teams with a current winning record (both prime-time at home).
-We only have 3 more games on the road, all against teams with losing records. (+ a neutral game)
Considering the Pats have been unable to string together more than a 2 game winning streak, I think a 9 game streak is very ambitious on your part.

Last edited:
I think the Patriots will go 10-6 and win the division. That ship probably sailed for the Dolphins with Carpenter's wide left field goals, those 2 tough losses to the Jets & Cardinals are probably too much for a younger team to overcome. But I wouldn't be surprised if they went 9-7 to get a wild card considering the schedule.
Patriots: 10-6 (or 11-5..the sched isn't too bad)
Dolphins: 9-7 (Though if they lose to NYJ after a rest week, I'll be thinking 8-8)
Jets: 8-8
Bills: 6-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes