PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Merged again and again: I do/don't like the Moss trade because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I give the deal a 'thumbs up'

Funny. I share those exact same thoughts. If Minn really wanted him, seems like Pats could have held out for more. From Vikes view, at this point, Moss is one year high-priced rental, however.

Pats only gave up a 4th to get him and then used him for 3 yrs and now got a 3rd back. This makes it pretty obvious they were not giving him a contract at year end and he was going to be available in F/A. So instead of getting nothing for him they get Minny's 3rd rounder which is better than the 3rd round comp pick they would probably have gotten because it can be traded.

Brady has performed admirably without Moss but he's never been better than when Moss was in tow.

Looking back I worded that wrong, or at least not very clearly. He has performed better statistically with Moss than without him. I should've said he has done well with less than what he has now(without Moss).

I don't start thinking clearly until around noon. You'll have to forgive me.

Last edited:
Brady's production has always been that of an elite quarterback. His 2007 season was special, but that cannot be atributed solely to Moss, seeing as in 09 he had a production similar to that of 2004/2005.

Manning also had an incredible season in 04, and while his weapons didn't change drastically in the following years, his production dropped significantly. Sometimes QBs just have special seasons.

have the jets won something?
Fair enough point, just saying at some point maybe its worth it to have some egos with talent. Will be interesting to see if this works. McDaniels is doing the same thing in denver. You're either with us your out. I just really hope BB has a plan for another wide reciever. How will pats keep up with the packers,colts,chargers, and now vikings?

When is the last time the Jets won a superbowl, oh wait a minute Rex said!!!!

Well September wasn't too long ago ;)

Funny. I share those exact same thoughts. If Minn really wanted him, seems like Pats could have held out for more. From Vikes view, at this point, Moss is one year high-priced rental, however.

Thats a good point, who says Moss stays in Minn. past this season!

I think the trade isn't as bad as all think! I just hope people calm down in a few days!

Pats only gave up a 4th to get him and then used him for 3 yrs and now got a 3rd back. This makes it pretty obvious they were not giving him a contract at year end and he was going to be available in F/A. So instead of getting nothing for him they get Minny's 3rd rounder which is better than the 3rd round comp pick they would probably have gotten because it can be traded.

What they gave up to get him 3 years ago is absolutely irrelevant to his value now.

Re: Trade makes no sense from any angle.......

Randy Moss has 9 catches for 130 yards and three TDs in four games. He was shutdown by Jonathan Joseph, Vontae Davis, Antonio Cromartie (who has been getting burnt consistently by receivers he has faced), and other than one TD pass with Revis. So far this season, Moss has not been the Moss of old.

Maybe Belichick sees things on the coaches' film that we don't. Maybe he isn't getting separation like he used to or lost a step.

I am not thrilled with taking away a receiver during the season even if all Moss was going to be was a decoy (although if he truly was losing a step, teams would eventually catch on) with the occassional big play the rest of the way. But from what I saw this year so far and what Moss wanted, it was clear his days were over with the Patriots after this season anyway. I just wished the Pats would have gotten more.

Looking back I worded that wrong, or at least not very clearly. He has performed better statistically with Moss than without him. I should've said he has done well with less than what he has now(without Moss).

I don't start thinking clearly until around noon. You'll have to forgive me.

Brady ONLY had less in 2006.

Yes, that's true.

Our offense in 2006 sucked, and Brady was beyond frustrated.

Maybe I am watching the wrong games this year.

Moss dragging two defenders everywhere he goes?

Moss does not get the separation he once got. Defenders,
one on one have been keeping him covered.

In the Dolphins game who were the 2 defenders always on Moss?
In the Jets game who were the 2 defenders always on Moss?
When Revis went down didn't Cromartie keep him covered
pretty well?

I just don't buy into this Moss being so far ahead of Tate in an
ability to stretch the field. Moss is not what he once was. IMO.

BB KNOWS when holdem and he knows when to foldem.

We have no idea what Bill sees in practice. maybe Jenkins is
ready to move up or Maybe Price is ready for a bigger role.
BB doesn't make this kind of decision without good reasons.
Bet on it.

Last edited:
For those that missed it, AdamJT13 is a comp pick expert, he comes very close in his predictions every year then improves his methodology by seeing where he missed - anyway, he has said that 10+ year veterans can get only a 5th round pick max, he doesn't have a written rule stating that but he's almost always right on this stuff.

Someone should tell John Dennis that because he has been spouting on the radio all morning "The Pats were going to get a third comp pick for Moss anyway if he signed somewhere else next season".

This isn't the point but please stop saying the Pats traded a 3rd and a 4th for Burgess. They didnt they traded a 3rd and a 5th. Granted still too much but at least get it correct.

The point is they gave up more for Burgess than they got for Randy Moss. That is just embarassing and inexcusable.

The point is they gave up more for Burgess than they got for Randy Moss. That is just embarassing and inexcusable.

The fact of the matter is that outside pass rushers are worth more than WRs. That is why a dominant outside pass rusher makes 50-75% more than a dominant WR.

That said, Burgess was a bad trade, but I can see why the Pats would have to give up more because of the position.

I will miss the 1 handed circus catches. I will miss thinking on every 2nd and short from midfield that it's going to be a 50 yard TD bomb from Brady to Moss. A historic combination. But, as the NFL saying goes, you are what your record says you are and -

Number of times teams WITH Randy Moss have won the Super Bowl in last 12 years - ZERO

Number of times the Patriots have won the Super Bowl WITHOUT Randy Moss in the last 12 years - THREE

'Nuff said. Go Pats 2010!

Fave/Moss vs arrington, chung, merriwether, mcourty, butler...........That should be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Fave/Moss vs arrington, chung, merriwether, mcourty, butler...........That should be fun to watch.

Brandon Marshall is a better WR than Moss and he sure tore us a new one, am I right?!!!

the interesting thing here is that favre's arm look dead. he will have to put everything he has into the throw to get it to where it needs to get to moss.

How does the trade make no sense? You guys are obviously going to trade, and sign for Vincent Jackson.

3rd round from Minny, and one of your 3rd's for 2011 draft. I think the Chargers would do that.

edit: it's actually a brilliant idea to get rid of Moss.

Getting Vincent Jackson is the first thought that came to my head. If we get him then this COULD make sense. I am not sure if i want him over Moss even though Moss would only be around for this year.

If we dont get Jackson then I have to agree with zeke. Getting rid of Moss who is still a threat is a huge price to pay for another draft pick. We are already loaded with picks in the next draft. The last thing we need is another 3rd round pick. I understand the arguements that a 3rd is decent value for Moss but we just dont need another pick. Also, we already have a large group of rookie and 2nd year players on the team, another huge draft class might not be the best idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes