PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Merged again and again: I do/don't like the Moss trade because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Brady HAS to think this sucks...guy that made him elite sent packing."

Quite possibly the stupidest thing ever written here. That's such flawed thinking that you should be put on Patsfans probabtion.

Yeah, brady didn't produce more with moss here...WTF was I thinking.

How does the trade make no sense? You guys are obviously going to trade, and sign for Vincent Jackson.

3rd round from Minny, and one of your 3rd's for 2011 draft. I think the Chargers would do that.

edit: it's actually a brilliant idea to get rid of Moss.

Last edited:
Re: I give the deal a 'thumbs up'

My thoughts...

There are no huge egos left on the offense or defense. I don't like the loss of another great veteran player, but in the long run I think this move will help team cohesion.

It should also force Brady to spread the ball around. Don't expect him to adapt right away... this offense will more than likely struggles for the next few weeks against top defenses.

Finally, I can't believe they only got a 3rd round pick for Moss. It really blows my mind that a guy with his talent could only be worth that much. There has to be more to this story.

In seriousness, I'm sure Brady will be a little disapointed since it seemed he liked Randy. But I'm sure he'll make it work to some extent. He has done more with less.
Brady has performed admirably without Moss but he's never been better than when Moss was in tow.

Last edited:

There are no huge egos left on the offense or defense. I don't like the loss of another great veteran player, but in the long run I think this move will help team cohesion.

Some of those egos were based on what's the word? Talent?

Can team cohesion make up for lack of elite talent?

I'm not saying I like the trade but . . .

to say it makes no sense from any angle is just wrong. If you assume we would lose him at the end of the year anyway, we got a #3 in 2011 instead of a #5 (at best) in 2012 (per comp pick expert AdamJT13, see other posts) so we got a lot more than had we kept him. That doesn't necessarily make it a good trade but it makes sense in that way.

As for Brady, I'm sure he loved Moss in some ways but he's probably happy to no longer have to babysit him.

I didn't see AdamJT13's note - but that makes me feel a little better about this. The idea that we moved him to essentially move a 3rd round pick up a year disturbed me.

Still, I don't think they got enough.

They must feel that this is an addition by subtraction somehow. It's clear to me - there's noway they do this deal otherwise. I'd imagine Brady - and this would never, ever be on the record, but in private - is OK with this deal, and maybe saw that Moss' petulance was a distraction from the ultimate goal.

jets are filled with huge egos, it's really costed them right?

I'm not happy about this at all from any angle. BB just made our team weaker. I don't get this at all.

I like the front office again.

now get mankins back in here

Yea, let's pay the player that is currently refusing to play over the player that was playing 80% of the offensive snaps for the year. Seems logical.

jets are filled with huge egos, it's really costed them right?

When is the last time the Jets won a superbowl, oh wait a minute Rex said!!!!

Why would moss want to be traded to a team with a side show QB, who prolly is all done and if he isn't will keep the whole team in the dark this offseason.

Brady HAS to think this sucks...guy that made him elite sent packing.

Patriots basically giving there most potent offensive weapon away mid season.

More draft pics Bellyache will most likely piss away.

Moss was mildly upset over his contract, but unless hw went completely off the reservation since monday, I just don't get it.
Ha ha. This reminds me of 2003. We're doomed without Milloy. He was the heart and soul of our defense.

Pats heading for a TE based offense. No worries, mate.

And Brady doesn't need Moss to be elite. I don't recall Moss (or Mankins) on any superbowl team.

I didn't see AdamJT13's note - but that makes me feel a little better about this. The idea that we moved him to essentially move a 3rd round pick up a year disturbed me.

Still, I don't think they got enough.

They must feel that this is an addition by subtraction somehow. It's clear to me - there's noway they do this deal otherwise. I'd imagine Brady - and this would never, ever be on the record, but in private - is OK with this deal, and maybe saw that Moss' petulance was a distraction from the ultimate goal.

Moss was pretty low key with the gripeing. Basically as good a soldier as he's ever been with any team. somethings up......He must have *****ed big time after monday night. Otherwise..............WTF?

My thoughts...

It should also force Brady to spread the ball around. Don't expect him to adapt right away... this offense will more than likely struggles for the next few weeks against top defenses.

Finally, I can't believe they only got a 3rd round pick for Moss. It really blows my mind that a guy with his talent could only be worth that much. There has to be more to this story.

Funny. I share those exact same thoughts. If Minn really wanted him, seems like Pats could have held out for more. From Vikes view, at this point, Moss is one year high-priced rental, however.

For those that missed it, AdamJT13 is a comp pick expert, he comes very close in his predictions every year then improves his methodology by seeing where he missed - anyway, he has said that 10+ year veterans can get only a 5th round pick max, he doesn't have a written rule stating that but he's almost always right on this stuff.

You can give the trade a thumbs up. I'll give the thread one star.

All works out in the wash...

I don't love the trade, but I am not nearly as down on it as most others. The Moss of 2010 so far was expendable. People are upset because they are looking at Moss as the pre-2010 version which may have never returned if he stayed. Belichick may have seen on film that he had lost a step and was unable to separate from receivers. Cromartie who has been getting burnt by virtually everyone he has faced shut him down as have Vonte Davis and Jonathan Joseph.

I'm not saying I like the trade but . . .

to say it makes no sense from any angle is just wrong. If you assume we would lose him at the end of the year anyway, we got a #3 in 2011 instead of a #5 (at best) in 2012 (per comp pick expert AdamJT13, see other posts) so we got a lot more than had we kept him. That doesn't necessarily make it a good trade but it makes sense in that way.

No the draft compensation doesn't mean bupkus. Take a shot at a superbowl for 1 year and keep your superstar, or a 3rd round pick. The shot at the superbowl title matters a lot more. Derrick fricking Burgess was worth a 3rd and 4th. And those were treated as throwaway picks. The Moss trade was made for a throwaway 3rd. A round that the Pats historically struggly to find good players in.

As for Brady, I'm sure he loved Moss in some ways but he's probably happy to no longer have to babysit him.

Yes, he's going to be so happy to have to throw into tighter windows now because Moss isn't drawing double teams away from his other weapons. Get real now. Brady isn't happy about this, nobody is happy about this. The only way this trade will make sense is if the media run a story revealing that Moss 'Manny Ramirezed' himself out of town.

But I haven't heard anything like that. Keep Moss for a year and take a shot at the title. That's way more valuable than a Day 3 pick. It's what BB did with Asante and it almost worked. Too bad he flubbed the gamesealer in 07. But he did have a great final season otherwise.

I don't recall Moss (or Mankins) on any superbowl team.

You obviously blacked out and missed 07. Take it easy on the drinking there.

Last edited:
Ha ha. This reminds me of 2003. We're doomed without Milloy. He was the heart and soul of our defense.

Pats heading for a TE based offense. No worries, mate.

And Brady doesn't need Moss to be elite. I don't recall Moss (or Mankins) on any superbowl team.

except milloy did'nt produce ***** the season before he was traded.

I wonder if Randy will be motivated to chump our steller secondary here in a couple weeks? I'll bet Favre will just freakin love lobbing the rock up for moss........

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes