Welcome to PatsFans.com

Memorable Wedding Day

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by SmokeShowin, Aug 11, 2009.

1. SmokeShowin

SmokeShowin Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

So, this past Saturday my brother gets married for the second time. This girl is great and they'll have a long happy life together. The only good thing that came out of the first mariage is 3 great kids.

I was an usher, his 6 year old son was his best man (he didn't find out until the rehearsal dinner.) The greatest thing about my bro and his kids is that him and his son are inseperable. His kid can't walk by him without touching his dad. I love it.

So the wedding goes off without a hitch. Temps in the upper 70's, but there's no fans in the church so it's HOT!

After mass, we're taking pictures outside. About 20 minutes into it, we were getting set for another pic. Our mom and her dad's GF (her mom died of cancer a few years ago) are standing near a stone wall with her 91 year old grandma who doesn't look that old at all. All of a sudden the dad's GF yells for my brother. We both look and grandma is starting to slump down. We run over and he grabs an arm while I get in front and put a leg between hers in case she goes down. I told someone to call 911 and get us a chair.

She was conscious, but not responsive at all. I asked her if she could talk with no response. I was thinking heart attack or stroke so I asked her several times if she could squeeze my hands, NOTHING. Then her eyes glazed over and she started making gurgling noises. I had the brides sister next to me freaking out, so I didn't say anything, but I thought she was going to die right there. I'm used to having an engine or rescue there with me with oxygen and other equipment.

Everybody was freaking except me, my bro and his buddy Eric. We got her in a chair and I just kept tellling her to take deep breaths. Just as the fire engine pulled up she started mumbling. I told her again to grab my hands and this time she grabbed one. I told her to grab both and she did. I then said "Come on Etta, squeeze them things hard like you wanna knock me out and she laughed. That's when I knew she'd be OK.

They transported her to the hospital and she was released just about the same time that the reception got out. Turns out she only had toast in the a.m. and not much to drink. Tey figured anxiety played a part too.

All of her family was thanking me, but I kept saying that I didn't do anything. And they all told me that I kept my cool and kept her conscious until the rescue got there, which is more than any of them could've done. To me I was just doing what came naturally from my years of training, but it worked, and now that I am reflecting on that afternoon it feels really good knowing that I helped her.

Needless to say, it'll be a wedding day that none of us will ever forget.

Thanks for reading my little rant, I just had to get it out. The stress from that day just hit me.

2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That's pretty cool. :) Thanks for sharing.