Memo to Jets: Don't Fight the Last War, Fight the Next One

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Memo to Jets, Don't Fight the Last War, Fight the Next One
By: Steve Balestrieri

Bell was hardly stellar against the Patriots TEs with the Dolphins Gronkowski and Hernandez combined for 24 catches for 303 yards in two games but the Dolphins problems in the secondary were deeper than just the safeties....

We're going to, it appears, run the ball more often, that's an additional reason for the FBs. Also, maybe Landry isn't fully healed or trusted to be available season long. I look at Bell/Landry as one person/position. It's hard to find reserve Safeties once the season starts.

Anyone is better than Eric Smith.

I see Bell as a solid pick up for them. The guy has been effective in the league for a while as an in the box safety. 1.4 mill is a good price, Landry will not be on the field for 16 games (if at all)Which makes Bell great insurance.

Running the 46 defense? (or something like it) This year? That sounds funny...

Interesting column but it misses the genius of the 46 which Buddy Ryan concocted to take full advantage of the extraordinary talent he had in 1985. The notion of a 46 defense to attack Brady makes good sense, schematically, if you have the 1985 Bears front seven.

The Bears had two decent safeties - Dave Duerson (RIP) and Gary Fencik who could crowd the box, come from anywhere and punish slot receivers or running backs. What made that Bears defense frightening was the front four and the linebackers.

Richard Dent, Refrigerator Perry, Steve McMichael and Dan Hampton up front made it possible for the aggressiveness and shifting around that Rex's old man orchestrated. It did not hurt to have Mike Singletary back there calling the plays and going nuts like he did as HC of the 49ers. Wilber Marshall was a tremendously talented and flexible LB who could line up anywhere in that defense.

I had to look up the '85 Bears defensive backs halfway through this post, and they were not noteworthy like the front seven. See: 1985 Chicago Bears season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Jets are built in reverse of the 46 - good to great DBs and a mediocre front seven. Picking up a couple of veteran safeties is not going transform the Jets defense.

It seems like the Jets are adding pieces in the hopes it will turn into an approach of some sort. It seems like Rex has decided to innovate his way out of mediocrity on the fly. He's not that good a coach.

The 46 defense relies on the front 7 getting pressure. I don't see the jets being very effective doing this unless Wilkenson and Coples both greatly exceed my expectations for both.

Scott, Pace and Thomas are slowing down and none are very good pass defenders in the short zone.

I disagree with the authors assumption that they will go with Bell and Landry vs a safety and the corner Wilson. Ryan did not just roll out from under a rock. This guy came up with a scheme that shut down the pats at home during the playoffs, 3 weeks after being swamped by the same team.

My belief that the jets will not being effective this year is based on Ryan not having the players to run the scheme, not his ability to game plan it. The Jet FO went for a small window of opportunity by bringing in high priced players
(or soon to be FA).

They suffered for this last year but are now transitioning to a faster front 7, Next year their LB core will only have Harris remaining. They discarded the old Price, Shaun Ellis and Jenkins and brought in the faster and more athletic,Wilkenson, Kendrick Ellis, Coples, and Demario Davis.

Rex and Sanchez are doing the Super Bowl shuffle.

The Jets' defense will be fully exposed for the frauds that they are by the Patriots' offense this season. I look forward to what Coach Belichick has in store for Rex Lax, Revis and the whole Gangrene. Rex may finally have to kiss those rings this year, as I think that's as close as he will ever get to rings as a Jet. Been saving up to have a fresh supply of popcorn to enjoy as I watch the upcoming debacle. Can't wait for the season to commence.....

The 46 defense relies on the front 7 getting pressure. I don't see the jets being very effective doing this unless Wilkenson and Coples both greatly exceed my expectations for both.

Scott, Pace and Thomas are slowing down and none are very good pass defenders in the short zone.

I disagree with the authors assumption that they will go with Bell and Landry vs a safety and the corner Wilson. Ryan did not just roll out from under a rock. This guy came up with a scheme that shut down the pats at home during the playoffs, 3 weeks after being swamped by the same team.

My belief that the jets will not being effective this year is based on Ryan not having the players to run the scheme, not his ability to game plan it. The Jet FO went for a small window of opportunity by bringing in high priced players
(or soon to be FA).

They suffered for this last year but are now transitioning to a faster front 7, Next year their LB core will only have Harris remaining. They discarded the old Price, Shaun Ellis and Jenkins and brought in the faster and more athletic,Wilkenson, Kendrick Ellis, Coples, and Demario Davis.

Maybe the "Gritz Blitz" will show up this year.

The reality of named defenses is they always get figured out. Ditto for named offenses.

Four guys who can get pressure is the universal concept with some scheme thrown in.

Hmmmm... article seems a little Pats-centric. Sure, Rex and the Jets are obsessed with the Patriots, and of course, winning the division.

The article seems to suggest, paradoxically, that the Jets brought in Bell and Landry as a strategy to beat the Patriots while at the same time suggesting that Bell and Landry are not very good in coverage against Hernandez and Gronkowsi. So, which is it? Is it a Pats-specific strategy, or is this just a plan to make the team overall better? The article contradicts itself.

My thinking is the latter. The Jets aren't exactly in great salary cap shape, and the obvious thinking is that they lost Jim Leonhard and need safety help. They picked up a couple of medium to high-upside veteran players on the cheap. Their hands are tied due to the cap, draft position, and the number of decent safeties on the market. I think they did a good job locking up a couple of big name safeties at low-risk prices.

The Jets have tons of holes, though. Take Revis off that team and I think it's a below average defense, maybe in the bottom third of the league. A few years ago, with or without Revis, that was still a very good defense.

The jets are bringing in all of these safeties for the purpose of trying to shut down the best TE in the league and the best TE duo in the league.

But Gronk and Hernandez are still going to destroy them over the middle. They have no one to slow them down. It will be the same as last year. Throw to TEs vs the jets = a win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back