PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mel Mitchell, Tebucky Jones, or Guss Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Scott might suprise some of you as being on the bubble, but look at the position.

Harrison (PUP activated), Wilson
Hawkins (fill-in-starter), Sanders (developmental rookie).

That's 4. We need at least 5, maybe 6 safties. One of those 3 guys in the title will get cut. I think Mitchell and Scott will make the team, but they'll have to better on ST than Tebucky. Thoughts?

You know, this one is actually really tough. I just have a hard time thinking tebucky wont be making this team, but at the same time, I would love to keep a young guy like scott on the roster.
I guess, wait for training camp, and see who shows the most of what you feel like this d-backfield is missing, and keep em. I think that would probably be t-buck, because he is so versatile and familiar with this system. I know I will be watching this one closely.

didnt someone mention that tebucky didnt play ST last year at all?

Perhaps, T-Buck stays on the roster, but gets cut when Harrison comes back from the PUP. Aren't PUP players exempt from the 53?

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Perhaps, T-Buck stays on the roster, but gets cut when Harrison comes back from the PUP. Aren't PUP players exempt from the 53?

They are, but it might not even be necessary that Rodney goes on the PUP. It's way to early to rule him out from starting in Week 1.

I see Mel Mitchell taking over the role of Michael Stone last year, as the special teams ace. Wilson and Rodney are locks. Sanders showed tons of promise last year and will stick. That's 4.

That 3rd (Sanders = 4, Mitchell = ST, emergency 5) safety spot will come down to either Hawkins or Tebucky. If Chad Scott and/or Warfield don't stick at corner, Hawkins' versatility will give him the edge.

Guss Scott will really have to show something and rely on other injuries (not his own, yet again), to make the squad.

PATRIOTS-80 said:

To be on PUP Harrison CANNOT practise at all on the field in summer training camp. Then yes, he would NOT count on the 53 until activated. Were he to go on IR instead, he'd also not count. He would hit the salary cap.

If TBKY is on the roster at the start of the season (not sure of exact details) the Pats must pay him full year's salary and take the cap hit for the entire season if they later cut him.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Scott might suprise some of you as being on the bubble, but look at the position.

Harrison (PUP activated), Wilson
Hawkins (fill-in-starter), Sanders (developmental rookie).

That's 4. We need at least 5, maybe 6 safties.
4 safeties is all they need. Any others will be STers, who could be safeties, LBs, or other positions.

PatsWickedPissah said:
To be on PUP Harrison CANNOT practise at all on the field in summer training camp. Then yes, he would NOT count on the 53 until activated. Were he to go on IR instead, he'd also not count. He would hit the salary cap.

If TBKY is on the roster at the start of the season (not sure of exact details) the Pats must pay him full year's salary and take the cap hit for the entire season if they later cut him.

I guess if Rodney's in TC, the PUP thing can be put to rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
pats1 said:
They are, but it might not even be necessary that Rodney goes on the PUP. It's way to early to rule him out from starting in Week 1.

I see Mel Mitchell taking over the role of Michael Stone last year, as the special teams ace. Wilson and Rodney are locks. Sanders showed tons of promise last year and will stick. That's 4.

That 3rd (Sanders = 4, Mitchell = ST, emergency 5) safety spot will come down to either Hawkins or Tebucky. If Chad Scott and/or Warfield don't stick at corner, Hawkins' versatility will give him the edge.

Guss Scott will really have to show something and rely on other injuries (not his own, yet again), to make the squad.

I would say Mmel Mitchel real competition is Don Davis (and maybe Larry Izzo). Both are nominally LBs but in reality are ST aces as are Mitchell and T Jones.

JustWinBrady said:
Is this a fact?

Not unless you think Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins or Sanders will get cut. 7 safeties is a lot.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
I guess if Rodney's in TC, the PUP thing can be put to rest.

Not quite. Bruschi was 'in TC' but never took the field last year.

Okay, if Harrison takes the field in TC, that will put the PUP thing to rest.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Not quite. Bruschi was 'in TC' but never took the field last year.

Bruschi did NOT practice with the team ... he did his own thing on the sidelines. He went to meetings.
If he practiced with other team memebers ( participated in contact drills for
example) he couldn't have been put on the PUP list.

PatsWorldChamps said:
didnt someone mention that tebucky didnt play ST last year at all?

He played. He had one solo tackle on the season. The two years before he didn't play coverage teams.

I think Mitchell is in, Scott on the bubble, and Jones is out.

JR4 said:
Bruschi did NOT practice with the team ... he did his own thing on the sidelines. He went to meetings.
If he practiced with other team memebers ( participated in contact drills for
example) he couldn't have been put on the PUP list.

What I said. Several posts ago.

PatsWickedPissah said:

VERY true...once a player practices...he is NOT PUP...although the players do warm up and ARE WITH the team..they leave and go to the field house...so it is just some of the real practice that they miss...PUP is for I believe 7 weeks minimum and maybe 10 max, at which point its activate, IR or cut. (Gene Mruczkowski..and Neal one year were in this situation..) So if RH is out..it will be a bunch of games...with IR, it is the whole year..once on IR gone...

We'll keep them all.

The extra Ss are actually competing for roles formerly held by Andre Davis (Gunner), Matt Chatham (Coverage), Tim Dwight (PR) and a handful of the guys that most fans dont really pay attention too.

I think Mel Mitchell may be a lock, based on a quote from Izzo in the recent Globe article.

Tebucky is an elite Gunner and also a veteran backup at either S spot.

Scott projects as the opposite Gunner, and may still have a future in the regular D. If one of these guys gets cut, it's most likely to be Guss.

rookBoston said:
We'll keep them all.

The extra Ss are actually competing for roles formerly held by Andre Davis (Gunner), Matt Chatham (Coverage), Tim Dwight (PR) and a handful of the guys that most fans dont really pay attention too.

I think Mel Mitchell may be a lock, based on a quote from Izzo in the recent Globe article.

Scott projects as the opposite Gunner, and may still have a future in the regular D. If one of these guys gets cut, it's most likely to be Guss.

Tebucky said he would play any position on ST except gunner. Said that was for younger guys. (Interview shortly after he was signed, maybe PFW.)

I like the idea of Rodney being pupped, someone will get hurt before the 6 wks are up, if past experience is any indicator.

Rook could be right.

Consider that we have 6 DL's, 7 LB's and 8 DB's for position players
That leaves at least 4 special teamers. I think we should be set at safety with Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins and Sanders (our 2005 nickel). I also think we are likely set at corner with Samuel, Hobbs, Gay and one of the veterans, although Gay could get beat out.

I think one of Izzo, Davis, Mitchell, Scott and Jones will be cut, or they will all could make it. Personally, I think Izzo and Mitchell are the locks.

rookBoston said:
We'll keep them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back