PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mel Kiper 9/30 Big Board and Positional Rankings

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Kiper's latest big board is out on ESPN Insider:

Mel Kiper - ESPN

He still has Sam Bradford #1 on his board, followed by Eric Berry, Ndamukon Suh, and Gerald McCoy. Other notables include Carlos Dunlap (5), Taylor Mays (7), Jahvid Best (10), Terrance Cody (11), Sean Weatherspoon (12), Greg Hardy (13), Sergio Kindle (15), Brandon Graham (16), Jermaine Gresham (17), Jerry Hughes (19), Brandon Spikes (21) and Eric Norwood (25).

Not on his board: OT Bryan Bulaga (Iowa), DE Derrick Morgan (Georgia Tech), ILB Rolando McClain (Alabama), RB Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech), DE Corey Wootten (Northwestern), DE/DT Arthur Jones (Syracuse), among others.

Kiper's top 5 positional rankins for Juniors and Seniors are also out:

Mel Kiper Jr.'s top 5 seniors by position - ESPN
Mel Kiper: Top 5 juniors by position - ESPN

Senior DEs include Greg Hardy (1), Brandon Graham (2), Jerry Hughes (3), Ricky Sapp (4) and Corey Wootten (5). Junior DEs include Carlos Dunlap (1), Everson Griffith (2), Jason Worilds (3) and Derrick Morgan (4). Interesting that Kiper lists Ricky Sapp as a DE but Sergio Kindle as an OLB.

Thanks for the link. I was high on Spikes, though I was not impressed with him in the Bowl game last year. I guess now that we're 4-3 mostly, we wouldn't even really have a need for him. We have our 4-3 MLB, no doubt.

Thanks for the link. I was high on Spikes, though I was not impressed with him in the Bowl game last year. I guess now that we're 4-3 mostly, we wouldn't even really have a need for him. We have our 4-3 MLB, no doubt.

That's part of why I wonder if guys like Weatherspoon may be in the mix for us - a guy who can play WLB in the 4-3 but also has the size (6'2" 246#) to play inside in the 3-4 next to Mayo.

That's part of why I wonder if guys like Weatherspoon may be in the mix for us - a guy who can play WLB in the 4-3 but also has the size (6'2" 246#) to play inside in the 3-4 next to Mayo.

If we can get a LB with the versatility to play both inside and outside in the 4-3 and 3-4, that should be the way to go next year. If not, continue what we started with the drafting of vollmer last year and continue to build that OL.

If we can get a LB with the versatility to play both inside and outside in the 4-3 and 3-4, that should be the way to go next year. If not, continue what we started with the drafting of vollmer last year and continue to build that OL.

Sounds pretty good to me. Right now Weatherspoon or OT Brian Bulaga are at the top of my list, with RB Jonathan Dwyer and DE/LB Derrick Morgan (both from Georgia Tech) right after.

I think BB is going to target guys that have the ability to project as starters in either defense. They are hard, if not nearly impossible, to find.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back