PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Megatron & Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halifax_Pats_Fan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
How would you handle these wideouts Sunday?

I would double Megatron and and put Revis on Tate...we have McCourty over the top to help...

This is not only a thread on them but a thread on our opponents obvious #1's vs our secondary. I would think if we double Megatron then we do the same for everyone else's obvious #1 cause he is the gold standard as far as I am concerned..

I would double Megatron and and put Revis on Tate...we have McCourty over the top to help...
Pretty much agree with your take, except I might start out the opposite way -- test Johnson's ankle by giving him single coverage at first -- and then flip it if he catches fire.

Also, Green Bay seems similarly built in that they basically have two guys doing all the damage on offense. I expect we'll notice continuity in the gameplans from this week to next. (And I also think our secondary is particularly well-suited to the task.)

With our secondary, honestly in my opinion ain't worried bout nothin'

I mean our number 1 and 2 corner last year is a healthy scratch this year what a turnaround

Pretty much agree with your take, except I might start out the opposite way -- test Johnson's ankle by giving him single coverage at first -- and then flip it if he catches fire.

Also, Green Bay seems similarly built in that they basically have two guys doing all the damage on offense. I expect we'll notice continuity in the gameplans from this week to next. (And I also think our secondary is particularly well-suited to the task.)
I'm not sure you want to give Stafford any opportunity to get his confidence up. When things are going well, Stafford is well above average. Take everything away from him early and turn him into the gambling turnover merchant we're accustomed to seeing. The game will be over be half time.

This is not only a thread on them but a thread on our opponents obvious #1's vs our secondary. I would think if we double Megatron then we do the same for everyone else's obvious #1 cause he is the gold standard as far as I am concerned..

This could be the winning play, but there is no cookie cutter format for our secondary. They left Revis on an island with AJ green, but chose to double Hilton. Matchups are everything in this league.

I think the defensive plan is good to put Revis on Tate. Calvin Johnson May require triple coverage if he catches fire. He is about as close to destructive to a teams game plan as Gronkowski. Pretty sure they handle it though.

I'm not sure you want to give Stafford any opportunity to get his confidence up. When things are going well, Stafford is well above average. Take everything away from him early and turn him into the gambling turnover merchant we're accustomed to seeing. The game will be over be half time.
I'm not arguing that Revis on an island is superior to double coverage. (Though, do you feel that Revis v. Johnson is a losing proposition?) I'm just not sure, given Megatron's ankle, that Golden Tate isn't as much a threat right now.

The reason we pay Revis $12M a season is to cover the WRs such as Calvin Johnson. Golden Tate is having a great season no doubt but we have several CBs capable of covering him. Who are you putting on Johnson? Browner has the size but he may not have the speed to stay with him.

I would just duplicate what Arizona did, our secondary is much better and deeper so It should not be a huge issue to contain the Lions.

I'm not arguing that Revis on an island is superior to double coverage. (Though, do you feel that Revis v. Johnson is a losing proposition?) I'm just not sure, given Megatron's ankle, that Golden Tate isn't as much a threat right now.
Tate has 68 receptions for 950 yards. Stopping the Lions means you need to stop Tate. He is very much a threat and picked up the slack whilst Megatron was out.

The Patriots need to force Ebron, Fauria, Pettigrew and Bell/Bush/Riddick to be the guys who win the game for them. You do that by taking away Megatron and Tate.

Pretty sure Revis claimed that he'll be covering Megatron today in an interview, although he obviously didn't let on as to how much that will take place.

I remember Revis holding C.Johnson to 1 catch when he was playing for the NYJ, so I agree with Brady6. This is why he was brought here.

Tate has 68 receptions for 950 yards. Stopping the Lions means you need to stop Tate. He is very much a threat and picked up the slack whilst Megatron was out.

The Patriots need to force Ebron, Fauria, Pettigrew and Bell/Bush/Riddick to be the guys who win the game for them. You do that by taking away Megatron and Tate.
Yeah dude, we're in agreement. I think perhaps my phrasing was a little funky... my meaning was, I'm not sure that Golden Tate isn't as much a threat as Megatron right now. Hence, the idea of double coverage on Tate, with Revis on Megatron.

Calvin Johnson is the Gronk of WRs. You just can't stop him. The question is Stafford. Stafford is mistake-prone and can lose his confidence, but if he starts feeling comfortable back there, he can win games. Since I follow the Packers all year up here in WI, from what I see Revis (who is still great) will have a very hard time covering CJ straight up. Johnson is 6'4"-6'5", can jump high, is a great route runner and can out-muscle the DBs. He's a huge target and Stafford can just throw the ball in his direction and 9 times out of 10 he'll grab it with DBs draped all over him.

I think Revis on Tate might be the better choice. Try to shut down Tate, let CJ have his catches, and limit where Stafford can throw, because sooner or later Stafford will throw some INT-able balls. Revis on Tate and a couple guys chasing CJ, and you can grab an INT or two.

..and you'll prbably see coverage change throughout the game. We adjust series to series so it will be interesting to see how they start and then how they continue, or if they continue, or how long they continue to play man on Tate and or Megatron...

Revis has to cover Johnson. He also needs safety help up top from time to time. Browner should be on Ebron and Dennard should be activated and put on Tate. Putting Browner on Johnson, even with McCourty helping him clean things up is just asking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots