PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meet Tim Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.
does everyone remember our buddy Mark Harrison? you know the guy that was a secret weapon that we were going to convert to move tight end...

well at rutgers, timmy was behind both mark and brandon coleman (who I had hope to draft)....just so that we can temper expectations on the find

that said, yes, he did put in some work in TB last year...and hopefully his game is on the up...

No offense, but pointing out players who started ahead of somebody in college is pretty meaningless.

Tom Brady sat behind Scott Dreisbach and Brian Griese.

Chandler Jones didn't play a single game as a freshman on a 3-9 Syracuse team, sitting behind his brother, Arthur, and a bunch of guys like Jared Kimmel, Anthony Perkins, Nick Santiago, and a bunch of other guys we've never heard of.

Aaron Rodgers sat behind pretty much everyone in Division 1 since he ended up at Butte Community College his first year while his dream school, FSU, started Chris Rix. The only team to offer him a chance at a walk-on scholarship, Illinois, started some guy named Jon Beutjer, and even after a record-setting season and a chance to jump to Cal, he was still behind Reggie Robertson for the first 4 games of the season before winning the starting job for good.

I'm not saying Tim Wright is going to be a Pro Bowler or a HOFer. I'm just saying what he did in college, along with who played ahead of him, is absolutely irrelevant now.

Edit: Forgot another obvious one, Matt Cassel sitting behind Matt Leinart.

One argument I don't get by the people who want to trash the trade by trashing Wright is the argument "If Wright is so good, why did the Bucs draft a TE in the second round?". First, most teams covet two starting TEs these days. Second, how much did Lovie Smith and his staff know about the guy at least compared to Belichick? It isn't like Smith and his staff were in Tampa last year. Belichick at least scouts Rutgers quite a bit and has Schiano as an advisor.

No offense, but pointing out players who started ahead of somebody in college is pretty meaningless.

Tom Brady sat behind Scott Dreisbach and Brian Griese.

Chandler Jones didn't play a single game as a freshman on a 3-9 Syracuse team, sitting behind his brother, Arthur, and a bunch of guys like Jared Kimmel, Anthony Perkins, Nick Santiago, and a bunch of other guys we've never heard of.

Aaron Rodgers sat behind pretty much everyone in Division 1 since he ended up at Butte Community College his first year while his dream school, FSU, started Chris Rix. The only team to offer him a chance at a walk-on scholarship, Illinois, started some guy named Jon Beutjer, and even after a record-setting season and a chance to jump to Cal, he was still behind Reggie Robertson for the first 4 games of the season before winning the starting job for good.

I'm not saying Tim Wright is going to be a Pro Bowler or a HOFer. I'm just saying what he did in college, along with who played ahead of him, is absolutely irrelevant now.

Edit: Forgot another obvious one, Matt Cassel sitting behind Matt Leinart.

No offense taken . And while you do have a point its not fair to compare who certain players were behind while they were underclassmen.

My statement was in context of both wright and Harrison's last year at Rutgers and Coleman was one year behind. Not that wright was a freshman behind some junior/seniors.

Anyway, point taken and let's hope for best

Ya, ya , ya…….. who cares about his measurables. I wanna know how many murders he's committed? :eek:

does everyone remember our buddy Mark Harrison? you know the guy that was a secret weapon that we were going to convert to move tight end...

well at rutgers, timmy was behind both mark and brandon coleman (who I had hope to draft)....just so that we can temper expectations on the find

that said, yes, he did put in some work in TB last year...and hopefully his game is on the up...

He was behind them as a WR....The kid moved to TE at the NFL, and has been more productive then both of those guys combined.

.......Second, how much did Lovie Smith and his staff know about the guy at least compared to Belichick? It isn't like Smith and his staff were in Tampa last year. Belichick at least scouts Rutgers quite a bit and has Schiano as an advisor.

Lovie: Yeah, Bill, we could use a guard, even if he is on the wrong side of his peak and will cost us a bundle in cap space. Wadda ya have in mind for a trade?

BB: Aw shucks, Lovie. I don't know, I just need to clear up some cap space. How 'bout a 4th and say, uh.... Geez.... I don't know, just throw in that Wright kid. I heard you didn't like him much anyway.

The guy does not have bad stats for playing on a bad team with terrible QB . I mean I like Hooman, but Mulligan might be one of the worst TE who got reps last year .

One argument I don't get by the people who want to trash the trade by trashing Wright is the argument "If Wright is so good, why did the Bucs draft a TE in the second round?". First, most teams covet two starting TEs these days. Second, how much did Lovie Smith and his staff know about the guy at least compared to Belichick? It isn't like Smith and his staff were in Tampa last year. Belichick at least scouts Rutgers quite a bit and has Schiano as an advisor.
Third, Wright isn't really a TE. He is something in between a huge WR, very undersized TE, and HBack.
Anyone would draft a prototypical TE if they had Wright as a complement.

I don't know how to quote but

Third, Wright isn't really a TE. He is something in between a huge WR, very undersized TE, and HBack.

Sounds like Hern.

I think people get caught up with labels too much. Off the Grid refers to big, tall, physical WRs who excel at moving the chains and who can block "Split Ends". He calls "move TEs" who can line up in different spots "Flex Ends". I don't care much whether Wright ends up as a Split End or a Flex Back, or something in-between. I think he has a skill set which BB can use to great advantage. On a Bucs team with Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans, his value probably wasn't as great.

I like our offensive skill players. Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, LaFell, Wright, Thompkins, Vereen, Ridley and White. That's 10 guys with a nice diversity of skill sets; maybe 11 if Develin keeps up his development. Gronk is the only elite guy in the bunch, but there's a lot of depth and breadth of talent. More size to work with than in the past, which should help in the RZ. With TB to spread the ball around, I think the offense will be fine - as always, with the big IF that TB can get adequate protection. I don't see the loss of Mankins being a big factor there given his dropoff in pass protection last year.

I like our offensive skill players. Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, LaFell, Wright, Thompkins, Vereen, Ridley and White. That's 10 guys with a nice diversity of skill sets; maybe 11 if Develin keeps up his development. Gronk is the only elite guy in the bunch, but there's a lot of depth and breadth of talent. More size to work with than in the past, which should help in the RZ. With TB to spread the ball around, I think the offense will be fine - as always, with the big IF that TB can get adequate protection. I don't see the loss of Mankins being a big factor there given his dropoff in pass protection last year.
A ton more size - when Gronk went out it was so noticeable in the red zone. In addition to Gronk I would add Edelman as an Elite guy at what he does. Not an elite WR overall but his combination of getting open and YAC is about as good as you'll find inside. What a difference from last year, though, when everyone was new. I have no idea which WR will have big years but I have little doubt Brady will have one.

Wasn't there some thought that LaFell might fill that kind of role? I don't think we've really seen it — not sure if that was just never the plan or perhaps it was and he wasn't up to it?

A ton more size - when Gronk went out it was so noticeable in the red zone. In addition to Gronk I would add Edelman as an Elite guy at what he does. Not an elite WR overall but his combination of getting open and YAC is about as good as you'll find inside. What a difference from last year, though, when everyone was new. I have no idea which WR will have big years but I have little doubt Brady will have one.

I'm personally happy with not having quite as much talent at the top for breadth, depth, and economy. The Pats have a very young and cost-effective group of skill players, which gives them room to invest in other areas. As you note, the WRs have a year of experience under their belt and should get better. I agree that Edelman is developing into a stud, with far more versatility and explosiveness than Welker ever provided.

I think the RZ consideration is important. It's all about red zone efficiency, not about racking up yards. The team's red zone efficiency dropped significantly last year. Having 6'4" Tim Wright, 6'3" Aaron Dobson and 6'2" Brandon LaFell should help considerably.

The obvious tradeoff is that you can only put 5 offensive skill players on the field at any one time. There are no guys like Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson or Brandon Marshall to dominant single-handedly. But given the attrition that occurs in the NFL, plus the unpredictability of teams having to prepare for different schemes and combinations, that's a tradeoff that I'm personally willing to make.

I'm personally happy with not having quite as much talent at the top for breadth, depth, and economy
It's always fun being a Patriots fan seeing things move around from the efficient passing to the Moss years to the 2 TE years and now to a zillion receiving options with the WR, Gronk and Vereen. With a creative OC we could set a record for personnel groupings (combined with where on the field the personnel is) this year. I know I wouldn't want to tro keep up especially with several of them being able to play multiple WR positions.

I think people get caught up with labels too much. Off the Grid refers to big, tall, physical WRs who excel at moving the chains and who can block "Split Ends". He calls "move TEs" who can line up in different spots "Flex Ends". I don't care much whether Wright ends up as a Split End or a Flex Back, or something in-between. I think he has a skill set which BB can use to great advantage. On a Bucs team with Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans, his value probably wasn't as great.

Split End or Flex end, lets have Wright work on his fly routes. :D

Last edited:
In case it hasn't been mentioned, for now at least, Wright is bringing #81 back to the Patriots . . .

What I like also, is Brady seems so much more comfortable with the 2nd year guys than he was last year, besides the usual Brady/Edelman comfort level, he seems to be on the same page with Thompkins, Amendola and the new guy Lafell. Brady seems like the Brady we know, not the guy who struggled to out up points last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes