Welcome to PatsFans.com

Meet the New Boss same as...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Dec 6, 2006.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +233 / 8 / -13

The beat goes on, neet another member of the new ethical majority:

http://www.slate.com/id/2154965/

Another great choice for Intel Cmte chairman. ;)
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

They're almost all corrupt, 534 of them for sure - congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) is my one exception. Hopefully the Dems will do good things for America, but eliminating corruption won't be one of them.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

I know almost nothing about Reyes, but the article from Salon seems unfair. After all, Reyes is a former Border Control official, so it's not surprising that his daughter works in a related field. I don't see how you can prevent people from using the contacts they developed to legitimately help out their kids or how you can prevent kids from helping their employers any more than you can prevent political contributors from getting extra access to politicians. The question is: Were their bribes, inside deals, or other sorts of corruption. Is there a link between IMC's failures and Reyes? I don't know. This, from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42516-2005Apr1

"The investigation focuses in part on IMC's employment of the daughter of Rep. Silvestre Reyes (D-Tex.), a former Border Patrol official and key backer of the system of 12,000 sensors and several hundred cameras installed for the Border Patrol between 1998 and last year, officials said. There is no indication that Reyes took part in any impropriety, they said."

"Officials at the Department of Homeland Security, now the parent of the Border Patrol, acknowledge that there were serious technical and oversight problems with the ISIS program."

"Rep. Reyes said that he never interceded with U.S. officials to help IMC win a contract and that he helped IMC retain congressional funding because he believes cameras 'are an important part of our ability to defend the borders.'"
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

This guy also wants "More Troops" sent to Iraq :singing: :singing:

I love this sh!t

Auntie Pelosi isn't even warmed up yet, wait until January, no wonder Bush grins when they mention her name, Bush knows whats coming. Pelosi, Obama and Mother Hillary will help elect another Republican president.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Doesn't seem much different to giving the Iraq contract to Haliburton.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 11 / -27

Bingo, except that this contract pales to anything Haliburton has gotten or stolen.
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Right, but the concept is the same. The Republicans have their Haliburton and the Democrats have their Bechtel Parsons.
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

Halliburton started WWI, A CEO from Halliburton kidnapped the Lindberg Baby, then Halliburton started WWII, a CEO from Halliburton raped Eleanor Roosevelt at a Girl Scout meeting, Halliburton is now in the final stages of causing the end of the world.
    Bill Clinton killed Kathleen Wileys Cat.

It is certainly true that during a two year period Halliburton’s revenue from Defense Department contracts doubled. However, that increase in revenue occurred from 1998 to 2000 - during the Clinton administration.

If Democrats want to investigate a scandal involving Iraq they should devote their efforts to the UN "Oil-for-Food" program instead of Halliburton.
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=15426
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And what's happened in the six years since then, they've gone back down now that Clinton is gone? Of course not, they increased even more.

Investigate them both. Haliburton doesn't excuse the sham that is the oil-for-food program, but neither do the UN's crimes excuse Haliburton. And while they're at it, they should investigate Bechtel Parsons for their Big Dig pork.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

Ron Paul is very highly regarded by virtually all of the intelligent people that I know.
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He's the only real libertarian in congress. I like that his district keeps electing him even without promises of pork-barrel projects.
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

There's nothing wrong with giving Halliburton jobs as long as it's done fairly and, openly, which is the outstanding question. I'm not ready to convict anyone, but I do think there should be an investigation into some of Halliburton's dealings. I assume now that we have a Congress that will do its job of oversight that will happen.

As far as Bechtel goes, by their own admission their PAC gave 52% to Republicans and 48% to Democrats, so I'm not sure your comparsion is correct.

http://www.bechtel.com/iraqdemocraticpolicycommitteeresponse.htm

As far as honest politicians, I think Russ Feingold is very much on the up and up.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

I don't think much will be done about the "Big Dig" Uncle Teddy is mixed up in that one and I'm sure if the Drunken Lying Pig can get away with murder he won't have any trouble getting out of "The Big Dig".
  14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, at least here in the Commonwealth we have a new governor coming in that is not just politics as usual, he will not be beholden to special interests, nor will he waste extravagant amounts of money of self-congratulatory inaugurations.

Oh, wait, nevermind... scratch all that....
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

You know its funny Qui, all I've been reading is how he's appointing his highest donors to positions of power. What a shock. This guy is really going to destroy this state. More people will move out than ever before. Of course, those who move out will be the young working class, while those who replace them will be illegals. This is going to be one ugly azz state.