PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meet Patrick Chung

bakes781

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Patrick Chung selection should've been obvious if you know where the Ducks of Oregon call home: Eugene! ;)
No relation to the first player of Asian descent to be selected in the first round of the NFL draft (1992, 13th overall by New England) and hopefully will not be anything like one of the biggest busts in Pats history.

2008137759.jpg

College Sports | Ducks' Patrick Chung packs a punch | Seattle Times Newspaper

Chung is a precocious player who arrived at Oregon as a 16-year-old. He pondered a jump to the NFL before deciding to return for his senior year. His mom, Sophia George, was a reggae singer who married her producer, Ronald Chung, who is half-Chinese, half-Jamaican. Patrick Chung was born in Kingston, Jamaica.

After his redshirt season of 2004, his impact on the Ducks was immediate. He started the next year and has since, making first-team all-conference last year.

"I call him the ultimate warrior," says Oregon defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti.

"All around, he's just a great player," says quarterback Nate Costa. "He has an ability to read body language and be in the right place."

"No disrespect to Taylor Mays," Aliotti says, referencing USC's premier safety, "Mays can do some things that maybe Pat can't, but Pat, I think, can do some things Taylor Mays can't, when it comes to covering space.

"With his athleticism, character, toughness, he's as good a safety as there is on the West Coast."

The Ducks believe their secondary is similarly unparalleled in the West, and maybe beyond.

"I think we can be the best in the nation," says Chung.

They've taken to calling themselves the "D-Boyz," a nickname emblazoned on the protective lower-back flap on their practice uniforms. They have their own private practice rituals, such as spontaneous push-ups.

"We consider ourselves the Marines of the team," Thurmond told the Eugene Register-Guard, "and everybody else is the Army."

Michigan will vouch that Chung deserves a place among a few good men.

Video - Oregon Ducks football- Patrick Chung highlights - FanDome

http://audio.weei.com/m/22165747/patrick-chung-pats-draft-pick.htm

Last edited:
Sweet, a possible Tiger Woods-like star in the NFL

Last edited:
He keeps being compared to Rodney Harrision, big shoes to fill but considering Harrision has been one of their most important defenders since he was brought in then Chung will do nicely in the system.

he might not be as good as harrison when his career is over, but boy, this is an athletic safety. i think he will turn out to be a huge playmaker

I'm looking forward to Patrick Chung knocking Mark Sanchez into another zip code! :cool:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back