Welcome to PatsFans.com

Medicare buy-in @ age 55

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Rumors floating about the new bill sent to the CBO.

A little help here, am I missing something?

So....Health Insurance is mandated (BIG win for private Insurance: adding Millions of new customers)

at age 55, you can buy into Medicare (BIG win for private Insurance: Now they can unload the riskiest cutomers to the government)

If all we (average americans) are getting out of this is removal of Pre-Existing conditions....then this fukcing sucks......

The Senate is BROKEN...It might be the most broken part of our government. 100 people who stall, create dumb bills, grandstand and get nothing done.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +982 / 2 / -9

The people elected the congress, the senate and the sweet talking bullsh!t artist who struts around the White House, the people will now have to live with it. the only other thing they can do is vote them all out when the time comes.

GOD, JESUS, MARY, JOSEPH, ABRAHAM watch over us in the meantime.
    Amen

3. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Honestly.....

That ain't gunna work, the next guy/gal will do the exact same thing. Our system rewards wealth to decision makers for siding with what faction has the most money. In this case, its private Health Insurers. In other cases its the Military Idustrial Complex, or Big Oil...or for you Neo-cons...its Al Gore....? Anyway...

WE need to outlaw any loby that uses money to influence. A loby SHOULD be a vote, or a group that has come together to mass votes. NO MONEY SHOULD EVER EXCHANGE HANDS.

They (K street) stand by the right to assemble and petition the government for their right to exist, and that has been perverted. It needs to end. Unfortunately the very people who are in position to fix this, are the same people making the rules....

Viscious Circle much?

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +710 / 20 / -30

Need a source, did not hear this one.. that would be surprising, considering the influx of baby boomers...

Medicare will cost me about $200.00 per month.. at least.

5. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +982 / 2 / -9

Can't argue with that one, your right.

7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yes. It's going to be a very bad bill in the end, and it's a real shame.

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +710 / 20 / -30

Right now I pay $0... so any increase is not good for me... not sure what all this means, the devil will be in the details..

9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Which is why it's broken. I just looked at my paystub, it looks like my employer and I each pay 50-50, calculating it over 40 years at today's amount I would pay $115K (that's both parts of the 50-50). $115K for free healthcare from 65 until I die. I understand some contribute and get nothing if they die early but with the average lifespan approaching 80, the average person will clearly get more out than they put in.

10. Bigdogx

Bigdogx On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The problem with politicians is it is nothing more then a sure fire way to becoming a millionaire these days, and that is all they now care about! I don't understand why we only talk about stripping the pay from bailed out banks when we should be doing the same to Pelosi and the rest of the rejects on capital hill!

As far as I'm concerned this country would be a better place if suddenly every politician fell off the face of the earth tomorrow! We simply do not need these self entitled idiots running this country into the ground anymore, to them it is their world and we are all just living in it!

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +710 / 20 / -30

It is a retirement benefit, when I am 65 have to pay the medicare premiums..

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Oh, OK - how much is that, do you know ? My dad is on medicare but I've never asked.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Right now, roughly $93.00 a month for 95% of the people on Medicare - a bit more for those in a really high income bracket.

However, take into consideration that Medicare hardly pays "everything." There's a deductible - there are co-pays based on percentage of charge. And that's just Part B - for doctor office visits and out patient testing. There's also Part A - which pays for in-hospital care and surgeries. They pay x amount for the first 5 days - and then less and less each day thereafter. There is also a deductible for each day spent in the hospital.

Don't forget about prescription drug coverage, either. That's a seperate policy called Medicare "D." It costs.

Virtually ALL retirees have a secondary plan which covers the thousands and thousands of dollars which Medicare doesn't cover. I cannot tell you what they pay for them other than they are not cheap. I believe my mom pays $253 per month which is taken out of her pension check. I'll check when I get home and get back to you if that's too far off the mark.

So, all told, health care will still cost you around $350.00 a month when you retire - hardly "free," and there will still be drugs and expenses which are not covered.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I think your estimates may even be conservative. I think my parents pay more than $300/month each, but they have good prescription coverage too. All this for a couple that never earned more than $50k (between the 2 of them) a year! The most my dad made was prolly around $35k in one year.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +710 / 20 / -30

$200.00 to $350.00 per month is a significant change for me...

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

When my mom had her cancer surgery the bill was over $100K and they paid about $1K total. It was crazy.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Who had to pay the remaining $99K?

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

We didn't talk about it a whole lot, we had other preferred ways to spend time in her last couple of years, but from what I could tell medicare paid the amount they were contractually obligated to (like a preferred provider with insurance) and the hospital just took it on the chin for the rest. The best I can tell that's how it works although Dear Ms. Va will likely correct me soon :D

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I would have done the same thing even if my parents had the $99k! My parents have placed all their assets into a family trust. That way, if something like this happens, they'll have nothing to go after. Same goes if one or both get put into a nursing home. There is no way everything they saved for their entire lives will be collected by the state!

Over my dead body!:eek:

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Nah, why should I bother? It's becoming more and more apparent that no one is really intereted in finding things out or in hearing the truth. PR tried to warn me early on that the truth didn't matter much, this was just a place to "discuss" things, not to really find out how or why things worked or didn't work.

Apparently I'd be wasting both my time and yours if I tried to explain the deal that insurance companies, Medicare included, have cut with the providers - or how it affects us, as patients and consumers.

No one here is interested in the facts - they're way more interested in making sure their unfactual opinions get heard and that in the process of getting heard they can squash a few dissenting opinionaters by out-mocking, out-posting or out-shouting them.

Have at it.

It's an excellent way to assure that you remain safe and secure in your own ignorance.