PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Medical views on the Gronkle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gronk may not be ready for SuperBowl????

It's ESPN's job to drum up a story even if there isn't one. While I am concerned about Gronk's ability to play, this article does not worry me anymore than I already am. Let's see the injury report on Wednesday.

Its just all speculation reguardless of what expert is talking about it. Look at spikes and Mayo. Both had MCL sprains but one was out for 2 weeks the other 5. The answer probably lies in the grade of the sprain which these experts don't know.

If we're going to have a thread for every one of these idiotic video clips, and this one was particularly idiotic, there isn't going to be much room for any other threads on this board heading into Super Bowl week...

we'll need a Gronk sub-forum

Gronk like football! Gronk play!

...yeah, I don't think anything is going to contain this guy come SB Sunday. You can talk about sidelining him all you want but 22 year olds heal fast. He's going to play.

Uh....Gronk came back and played in the Ravens game AFTER he hurt his ankle. Gronk will play and Gronk will be effective. He may not be able to sprint down the field per usual but his 6' 6" frame is nice to have in the red zone or in 3rd and 5 situations.
Tom Brady needs to get back to the formula that won this team 3 Super Bowls. His favorite receiver is the open receiver whether it's Gronk or Branch or OCHO. Tom cannot afford to play with his "well I don't trust that guy" mentality. If they are open get them the damn ball TB.

The ESPN report is absolutely correct. If I were the Giants I definitely wouldn't prepare for Gronk.

;)

Last edited:

We're going to listen to a guy who has no direct knowledge of Gronk's injury? He goes into great detail about damage to an ankle he never examined, never seen the MRI, and never seen a single medical report.

When Welker tore his ACL, tons of media related medical experts told us that there was no way he would be ready for the start of the 2010 season and he may never be as good as he was before the injury again. How did that work out for them?

Most media related medical experts tend to give the doom and gloom analysis of injuries that are similar to, but not necessarily the same as the player they are talking about.

This couldn't have gone in the ' Medical views on the Gronkle' thread that already exists?

These 'Doctors' should have their license examined. Rob nailed it - this 'Doctor' has zero insight into what is going on in Gronks ankle. He has no clue, and therefore shouldn't be saying squat. Just a 'Doctor' trying to get facetime, and ESPN trying to get viewership.

This is going to be a looong week.

ESPN injury expert says he wont!

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I know high ankle sprains take some time.

Anyone think he'll be close to 100%?

How will his not participating in practice affect his role in the offense?

Can Pats still win without Gronk?

Please don't post redundant threads.

Thank you.

Merged.

Last edited:
I'd just as soon listen to the opinion of Dr Nick Riviera on this one

Let's all stop speculation of whether he will or won't play and whether he will be at near full health or not and be thankful that this years Super Bowl has a 2 week gap instead of playing it the next week.

Had the Super Bowl been tonight.....Gronk had no chance of playing.

Be thankful we at least have hope he will play.

I'd just as soon listen to the opinion of Dr Nick Riviera on this one

dr-nick.png

Hi evorybady! I'm docktar Nick!

Did this guy go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College too? Hey, dan't vorry. You don't have to make up stories here. Save that for court!

Your ankle appears to be dilated. Vhen it falls off, we can reattach it. Dan't vorry. I brought my knife and fork from lunch at the local seafood restaurant. I viped them with my napkin so ve are ready for surgery! Sit still now Mr. Hernandez, this von't hurt a bit!

Things more likely to happen than Gronk not playing and playing well in the Super Bowl.

1. Rex Ryan gives up feet.
2. Rex Ryan shuts up.
3. Rex Ryan loses 200 pounds.
4. Mark Sanchez completes a season with 100+ QBR.
5. Santonio Holmes becomes a model teammate.

I'll wait for Rob Lowe to update Gronk's condition, until then I'm not gonna worry about these reports.

Let's all stop speculation of whether he will or won't play and whether he will be at near full health or not and be thankful that this years Super Bowl has a 2 week gap instead of playing it the next week.

Had the Super Bowl been tonight.....Gronk had no chance of playing.

Be thankful we at least have hope he will play.

Exactly how do you know that? Who is your inside source. You THINK that Gronk had no chance to play in the Super Bowl if it was today. You could be right, but you don't have a clue to whether that is the truth.

For all we know, if the Super Bowl was today, Gronk might not have missed a single practice and started today.

Rob - Are you serious? This is the NFL and the Super Bowl we're talking about. And Gronk is one of the biggest names out there. Of course it was going to go national. Not to mention it's the age of Facebook and Twitter. The 6 degrees of separation are closer to 3 to 4 now.

Now, regarding over-selling an injury. That could be.

I think it is a stretch that Belichick told Daddy Gronk to leak false information to a Buffalo TV station knowing it would spark this flurry of medical experts stating Gronk won't play or will be a shell of himself.

Gordie Gronkowski could have been overstating the injury, but I doubt there is some conspiracy theory.

I'm not surprised honestly if he doesn't play and I think people need to stop clinging on to hope of the smokescreen idea and consider it a real possibility.

There's a good chance it really is that bad and we're going to have to do it without him. It is what it is. This makes me be more wary of sticking with my prediction of a blowout but the Patriots still have what it takes to do it without him. We will be fine.

If anything the smokescreen might be to keep the focus on Gronk, while Ocho is getting ready to make his mark, not just as a Patriots, but in his career. If he wants to be remembered and even have a chance at the HOF, this is his only opportunity.

We're only facing the Giants. It's in the bag, alright? This actually makes it a little bit more challenging for Brady and Co and makes me less upset we're playing the measly Giants again. Bring it on! He'll still be on the sidelines rooting and eating energy bars, so Giants fans, don't get your hopes up:D

I think it is a farther stretch that the Pats are floating a smokescreen out there that Gronk will play so they can unload their secret weapon - Chad Ochocinco. So they are currently putting in defensive gameplans to cover Ocho in single coverage when he is on the field, they would be planning to cover Ocho in SINGLE COVERAGE if knew Gronk was out.

Whether Gronk plays or not, Ochocinco being a focal point of the offense will catch the Giants off guard because even if Gronk is in street clothes, no one is expecting Ochocinco to get more than one to three catches at most.

What Gronk missing the game will mean that the defense will put more focus on Welker and Hernandez (maybe Branch or the running game), not Ochocinco.

Completely agree. I've seen some pretty bad high ankle injuries. Many people will attest that they can hurt worse than a broken bone. Personally, I've had at least one ankle sprain that hurt so bad that - combined with how hard I was running at the time it happened - that it literally made me vomit. I hopped and then walked with a severe limp for some time afterward. I'm not the athlete/beast Gronk is, obviously, but I've never seen anyone with a debilitating ligament/ankle injury just walk around so normally and chat it up so seemingly painlessly as he did both as he came back out of the locker room and after the game.

Yes, severe swelling can occur, and that's part of the issue, but that can be contained over days or weeks and is not near as crucial as the severity of ligament damage. That's the main issue, especially as far as football players go. Now, if that were truly severe, it would have been physically impossible for him to come out walking like he did in the middle of the Ravens game.

Not that I expect him to be 100%, but I am pretty confident about him overcoming the swelling, given the way he apparently overcame the initial shock of the injury. When I saw the play and the replays, I was all but convinced that he was done for this year. I couldn't see how anyone could come back at all, let alone for the rest of the Ravens' game. That he did that alone in the first place was miraculous, so I can completely believe that there are "miraculous" reports coming out about his recovery this past week. The guy is flat-out amazing football player.

Good points all.

Swelling, even if present, can surely be gimmicked away for a few hours with aggressive treatment. And while we can't rule out the possibility that the pain of this injury is bad even by Gronk-tough standards ... he has 2 weeks to psych himself up for an evening of playing through it.

Absent further injury, Gronk will play well.

I think it is a stretch that Belichick told Daddy Gronk to leak false information to a Buffalo TV station knowing it would spark this flurry of medical experts stating Gronk won't play or will be a shell of himself.

Gordie Gronkowski could have been overstating the injury, but I doubt there is some conspiracy theory.

You're right. I doubt that BB told Daddy Gronk anything. However, BB could have sat Gronk down and said:

"Rob. I know you're not hurting much and I know that your parents are worried about you. We can't have you telling them the truth about your injury. We need every advantage we can get and if the Giants knew you'd be near 100% for the SB, they'll plan for you a lot more than we want them to. If your parents happen to do an interview and it leaks out that you're healthy, then we lose that advantage."

"But Coach, my dad lives in nowhere Buffalo... who's going to listen to an interview he does... "

"Rob, believe me. With Tweeter, MyFace and Yearbook, people will find out about it. "

"Gronk understand"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back