PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Medical views on the Gronkle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to point out that the recent injuries to Pouncey and Roethlisberger seem to suggest that these injuries are as bad as they originally seem, no better or worse. Pouncey could not walk after his injury against the Jets last year and Roethlisberger was hobbled against the Browns. Both players seemed to have the same severity as just after the injury in subsequent games.

I'm trying to understand the science behind how Gronk's injury is worse now than it was last Sunday when we saw him return to the game and seem fine. Besides by swelling- which will either subside naturally or by medicine- have you ever heard of an injury that is worse two weeks later?

have you ever heard of an injury that is worse two weeks later?

why yes...yes I have....when Betty Jo Bialoski broke my heart...and ran off with a private detective from Brockton............

I
heart.png
Hype Week.

why yes...yes I have....when Betty Jo Bialoski broke my heart...and ran off with a private detective from Brockton............

There's not enough bourbon in the world to end that hurt. The bleeding never stops, it just lessens for awhile before the heart goes numb. :beersign:

I
heart.png
Hype Week.

The build up to this game, and then the game itself, will either kill me, or leave me in a state of exhaustion euphoria for a week. I'm already having trouble sleeping and concentrating on other projects. Sigh.

Isn't it amazing how grown men and women can get so involved in a simple game? ;)

Nothing a few doses of HGH, a roll of tape and a good ole fashioned pain injection won't fix.

one the the big problems with sprained ankles is the swelling. He could have the special treatment that Larry Bird had when he sprained his ankle during the play-offs. The treatment is based on rubbing Chinese herbs onto the ankle. The rubbing of the ankle pushes swelling out of the ankle improving the motion of the ankle quickly. One thing I can tell you is that it hurts like hell if its a new sprain :)

Check out the link

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Chinese-Way-How-to-Heal-a-Sprained-Ankle&id=4952498

Last edited:
Cortisone shots hurt like h3ll too. I've had a number of them in my lower back and shoulder.

Isn't it amazing how grown men and women can get so involved in a simple game? ;)

[glances at a mirror] HOT DAMN, when did THAT happen? :eek: :p

Two words - Not. Worried.

He's playing in this game, folks. And even if he needs surgery, he'll be back next season.

Next topic!

To believe Gronk will be fine in the game, you have to believe:

1. He will have his full speed and agility, or close to it.

2. Whatever is done to give him that will last long enough for him to:

A. Play the game.
B. Practice long enough to get the feel for whatever is done to him. :)

I tend to be believe it. He doesn't need "touch" in his legs; he needs power. So I don't think he needs much practice at all. And I certainly think they can get him in shape to go for one 3-hour period.

I DO take the pessimistic view that he'll be more vulnerable to re-injury during the game. That's an obvious risk.

By way of contrast, when I saw TMZ pictures of Brady bring flowers to Gisele's brownstone in NYC during a previous January bye week, I winced, because that meant he'd been walking a lot on a bad foot (I used to live in Manhattan myself, and indeed in Greenwich Village for a while), and because for him precise footwork matters a lot ...

Last edited:
I played college BB...high ankle sprained both joints so many times I'd need an accountant to keep track...a couple of them were pretty bad, kept me on the bench for two or three weeks...most of them, with a trainer's care,got me back on the court in 7-10 days..albeit with limited flexibility due to heavy tape jobs. THe question is HOW SEVERE is the Gronk's sprain?..

Completely agree. I've seen some pretty bad high ankle injuries. Many people will attest that they can hurt worse than a broken bone. Personally, I've had at least one ankle sprain that hurt so bad that - combined with how hard I was running at the time it happened - that it literally made me vomit. I hopped and then walked with a severe limp for some time afterward. I'm not the athlete/beast Gronk is, obviously, but I've never seen anyone with a debilitating ligament/ankle injury just walk around so normally and chat it up so seemingly painlessly as he did both as he came back out of the locker room and after the game.

Yes, severe swelling can occur, and that's part of the issue, but that can be contained over days or weeks and is not near as crucial as the severity of ligament damage. That's the main issue, especially as far as football players go. Now, if that were truly severe, it would have been physically impossible for him to come out walking like he did in the middle of the Ravens game.

Not that I expect him to be 100%, but I am pretty confident about him overcoming the swelling, given the way he apparently overcame the initial shock of the injury. When I saw the play and the replays, I was all but convinced that he was done for this year. I couldn't see how anyone could come back at all, let alone for the rest of the Ravens' game. That he did that alone in the first place was miraculous, so I can completely believe that there are "miraculous" reports coming out about his recovery this past week. The guy is flat-out amazing football player.

Gronk may not be ready for SuperBowl????

ESPN injury expert says he wont!

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I know high ankle sprains take some time.

Anyone think he'll be close to 100%?

How will his not participating in practice affect his role in the offense?

Can Pats still win without Gronk?

Re: Gronk may not be ready for SuperBowl????

ESPN injury expert says he wont!

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I know high ankle sprains take some time.

Anyone think he'll be close to 100%?

How will his not participating in practice affect his role in the offense?

Can Pats still win without Gronk?

ESPN injury expert.......oy vey. 100% or not, he'll play.

Last edited:

If we're going to have a thread for every one of these idiotic video clips, and this one was particularly idiotic, there isn't going to be much room for any other threads on this board heading into Super Bowl week...

He'll play running on fumes and adrenaline. And Gronk at 75% is still a top 5 TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots