PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Media's recent love affair with Romo getting tiresome

Status
Not open for further replies.

E1Downey

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
It's starting to feel like the NFL and sports media are consciously trying to revamp the image of Tony Romo.( which would make sense sonic at the end of the day they are selling a product.) After a horrid end of game performance in week one against the jets it seemed like the nation was finally convinced of his buffoonery and uncanny ability to singlehandedly hand a game over to the opposing team. This guy was getting bashed not just in Dallas or the entire state of Texas, but the ENTIRE country.

Flash forward through the next two weeks where he plays through an injury and he's now being hailed as a god! Ron Jaworski actually said that lasts night performance, a game where he didn't throw a single touchdown was one of the best of his career. I understand that a QB can have a great game leading his team to victory without scoring any points himself but 22/36, 255 yards and a pick is not the best of his career.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a player playing through pain just as much as the next guy, I find it very very admirable. With that said I just think that this is being waaaay overblown and the 180 that everyone has taken is sickening. I see it everywhere I turn! NFL network won't shut up about it. I think after a week where he was the laughing stock of the game, they are making an obvious attempt to fix his image, which is totally fine but just stop now, we get the point. Sorry for the long rant, I just hate Romo and wanted to vent lol

Last edited:
Utilize the Enter key more often.

I actually defend Romo more than my friends who are Cowboys fans. I thought he was criticized too much after the Jets loss, simply because everyone seemed to be ignoring the fact that the special teams gave up the tying TD on a blocked punt. Instead, they blamed the loss entirely on Romo.

As for his performance last night, I do think it was a great one, and not just because he was fighting through and injury. 4 early snaps by the center. No running game outside of a few long runs. WRs not knowing where to line up or what route to run. That offense around him looked horrible but he managed to make enough plays to get them points.

I think that's what impressed people. His stats weren't great but he completely carried that offense.

"Recent"? Oh, I'd say the media's been inexplicably in love with Romo for quite some time.

O Romo, Romo, Wherefore Art Thou Romo?
Deny thy injury and refuse thy doctors!

It's sort of not even fair to Romo because he gets both praised and criticized prematurely, and often, because he is the QB for Dallas. I try to never watch ESPN so I don't see it as much as some people although from the amount of complaining I hear about it (people here in New Orleans HATE Dallas with a fiery passion) I imagine he is talked about almost every day of the season.

That said, he played great last night. The numbers don't show it but how many times did his receivers line up wrong, his center snapped the ball early, people ran the wrong routes, etc. The fact that he led a come from behind win completing a 3rd and 21 is worthy of any praise he gets today considering the dysfunctional nature of the rest of his offense last night.

Last edited:
Ok maybe I'm being a little too harsh in that his game last night was better than What I wrote. But am still sick of all the romo praise, it's too much if you ask me.

It's simple, he's the QB of America's Team, and whatever he does it's going to follow him. Blame the media for putting the guy on the pedestal during his take over year. That whole year he was compared to Brady. And the year after. Why? Because he took over for Drew. Now it's his team, and both fan and media are looking for any excuse to prove that they were right about the comparison in the first place.

I feel for the guy, and actually kind of like him for what he does. Keep in mind, he has had some BAD coaching, nothing compared to what Brady has had, even in college. I give him some credit for what he's done. Here's the thing. There aren't many current top ten QB's that would do better with the situation he's had in the past few years. Put Brady or Manning on that team in their prime, with the coaching still intact, how would they do? I'd give them each between 2-4 games better, and that's it. Dallas' worst enemy is it's Al Davis clone of an owner, Jerry Jones. If Romo had any kind of consistency on both sides of the ball, rather than seeing it abused by poor management, this guy could win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back