PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Media's irrational hatred of Bill Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he does. He, like Tom Brady, I contractually obligated to hold a press conference after the game. So, he does "owe" the media something. He can't just stand there and say "No comment" for 5 minutes. Well, he sort of does by being as monotone and bland as possible.

He owes nothing to the media. Ppl like you is why BB is hated. His job is to coach the New England Patriots- [not to give interviews post game]. It is his decision and the media jumps on him because he gives the silent treatment. **** the MEDIA:)

on the field situation- "GET OUTTA MY FACE":)

that's insightful but I think it only applies to the national media. Many of the local guys really do have an axe to grind with him for various reasons. See Borges, Shaughnessy, Maz, etc. BB openly disdains most members of the media and they know it. They relish ANY opportunity to bash him. These guys aren't dumb. They know when they are not liked. Its an unfortunate side of human instinct to be vindictive and petty when you see an opportunity.

Now I admit to hating the media from the start so my bias is against them. My bias is against anyone who would bash my team. And it does not sell for me. I have had to tune out Maz and Felger this week because they have been so intolerable over the whole 4th and 2. Likewise Shaughnessy. I never read him anymore as he proved to be so agenda-driven that reading his articles ceased being enjoyable entertainment for me.

since i no longer live in the Boston area, I can't argue with you on that one. you might well be right that it's more personal with many of the local media.

On the other hand, i've always thought that Shaughnessy and Ryan were national media suckups and went with the storyline that would get them the most air outside Boston.

How did they get me hook, like and sinker? WEEI has been a ratings monster for years. They don't need to set up bogus animosity storylines with each other to draw ratings. Welcome to the world of big media and WEEI is a big time radio powerhouse. If you think media outlets, be they radio or TV or newspapers are just one big happy family you're amazingly naive. Talk about LOL! There are raging egos and jealousy over contracts, over timeslots, over who has the pull to land what guest, etc.
D & C and the Big Show do not like one another. It is real and it is genuine.

And I suppose you think all the feuds in pro-wrestling are real too. This feud is as manufactured as the "ban" on Boston Globe reports and just about everything else they do on EEI. Both show routinely have a host take one side of an argument and the other take the other side no matter how insane or asinine it is.

Being one big happy EEI family doesn't attract listeners but in-fighting and feuding does.

Come on!

I agree there is a hate for Bill, however he is just an easy target.

He is standoffish, arrogant and above all else successful.

The media hates successful people and tries to bring them down with anything.

I agreed with the call on Sunday and as soon as they called I timeout I was scared because I knew BB was going to go for it. I got further scared when I saw all 11 defenders at the line of scrimmage. It was the right call to make. With the way the defense was playing in the second half and how gassed they were it was about 80% chance Manning was going to score from anywhere on the field at that point. Why not try to win the game right?

He will always be portrayed by the media as the villian. It is good television as all but the Patriots fan base see him that way so it gets ratings and it gets most people to agree.

I don't hate him, I don't really like him either, but I don't like the logo on the shirt which helps build the dislike for him.

I agree there is a hate for Bill, however he is just an easy target.

He is standoffish, arrogant and above all else successful.

The media hates successful people and tries to bring them down with anything.

I agreed with the call on Sunday and as soon as they called I timeout I was scared because I knew BB was going to go for it. I got further scared when I saw all 11 defenders at the line of scrimmage. It was the right call to make. With the way the defense was playing in the second half and how gassed they were it was about 80% chance Manning was going to score from anywhere on the field at that point. Why not try to win the game right?

He will always be portrayed by the media as the villian. It is good television as all but the Patriots fan base see him that way so it gets ratings and it gets most people to agree.

I don't hate him, I don't really like him either, but I don't like the logo on the shirt which helps build the dislike for him.

I don't get the arrogant thing. I couldn't care less what other fans think, but most of the media is wrong about him. Even Ellis Hobbs after he was traded said that Belichick was the most misrepresented man in the media. All I know is that you would be hardpressed to find any former player say anything negative about Belichick. Even guys who left on contract disputes like Branch, Law, and Samuals all say good things about BB.

arrogance/ hubris is not a bad thing.

BB has alot of it....... by no means as much as Hitler or Napoleon.... what is the big deal here? He has excellent confidence and self pride.... why is that a probleM?

BB has alot of it....... by no means as much as Hitler or Napoleon.... what is the big deal here?

Which reminds me, have you ever once heard Belichick blame a loss on anyone but himself? Bill "Na"Polian, on the other hand...

I don't get the arrogant thing. I couldn't care less what other fans think, but most of the media is wrong about him. Even Ellis Hobbs after he was traded said that Belichick was the most misrepresented man in the media. All I know is that you would be hardpressed to find any former player say anything negative about Belichick. Even guys who left on contract disputes like Branch, Law, and Samuals all say good things about BB.

You don't get how he comes off as arrogant?

He does and I think he wants it that way ;)

If you think he is arrogant, check out this short vid of him and Weis singing with Bon Jovi at a charity event. If he was arrogant, he wouldn't have put himself up to be laughed at inthis situation. The media never covers any of the good things Belichick does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzbMP7pLRkA

Last edited:

When BB wins, he says "they (the players) did it."

When BB loses, he says "it starts and ends with me."

I think that's the furthest thing from arrogance you can get.

You and everyone else outside of here, are confusing lack of charm, drama, or vendetta with arrogance.

With the way the defense was playing in the second half and how gassed they were it was about 80% chance Manning was going to score from anywhere on the field at that point. Why not try to win the game right?

Time of possession says our defense was not on field much to that point though. I hear this stuff all the time how gased the defense was, but the colts d was on field much longer than our D and still made critical plays down the stretch. Keep in mind they were down many starters too. Everyone is tired at end of game and overtime, but that's no execuse for failure to execute.

If anything I would change, it's the offense play calling... Manning was fliud and made the right calls; our offense was not in sync at crunch time. Blame it on Brady and coach making the calls (Bill, Doug). The crazy timeouts were embrassing. We need to let Brady rip in last two minutes; just like Manning does. This game (maybe) cost us bigtime. If we play colts in Janurary at Gillette, 70% chance we win that game. If we have to play at their place, 30% chance we win that game. So It basically cost us 40% chance of going to a superbowl. (if colts play in AFCCG)

I hope Pitts or SD knock off colts before playing us though.

Last edited:
Time of possession says our defense was not on field much to that point though. I hear this stuff all the time how gased the defense was, but the colts d was on field much longer than our D and still made critical plays down the stretch. Keep in mind they were down many starters too. Everyone is tired at end of game and overtime, but that's no execuse for failure to execute.
If anything I would change, it's the offense play calling... Manning was fliud and made the right calls; our offense was not in sync at crunch time. Blame it on Brady and coach making the calls (Bill, Doug). The crazy timeouts were embrassing. We need to let Brady rip in last two minutes; just like Manning does. This game (maybe) cost us bigtime. If we play colts in Janurary at Gillette, 70% chance we win that game. If we have to play at their place, 30% chance we win that game. So It basically cost us 40% chance of going to a superbowl. (if colts play in AFCCG)
I hope Pitts or SD knock off colts before playing us though.

Agree about the offense. Because the Pats can't run the ball they need to keep the passing game with the pedal to the metal the entire game. Unfortunately we see a pattern where they dial it back at times in the 2nd half. Remember the sequence of calls in the Denver game when the Pats got the ball at midfield and then promptly went 3 and out? Absolutely ridiculous! The Pats are also as shocking 25th in the NFL in red zone offense. 25th!!!!!! Again absolutely ridiculous with the weapons they have. One of the glaring problems is that Tom Brady forces the ball to Randy Moss and that's good for at least 1 pick per game. Not good!! The O needs to tighten up their game. Despite scoring 34 against the Colts they wasted critical opportunities to put them away.

I have not heard or read anyone who did not claim (at worst) that Bill was "the best coach of the last 20 year" and (at best and more common) "the best coach ever".

If you can find someone, please post the link.

And Bill doesn't care but if he did, he'd want to be known as "good" than "friendly".

You can admit an obvious truth but still hate the guy.

For instance, Stalin and Russia were over 50% responsible for beating Germany. (And under 10% responsible for beating Japan, but I digress.)

You can admit that and still hate Stalin.

Agree about the morning show on WEEI but remember that both Dennis and Callahan are "old media". Both these guys have been in Boston for decades and dolts like Borges are their boys. IMO their personal animus, and it's clearly personal towards Belichick has little to with a ratings grab and more to do with their jealousy and ongoing civil war with the Big Show, a Belichick friendly zone.

PS - I dropped Peter King an email and asked him to comment on the old media's irrational hatred of BB and how personal agendas end up in their work product. Let's see of Peter addresses the issue in his mailbag next week.

You mean in between 1,000 words on Starbucks in airports?:D

Here's what happens to those e-mails. An intern, usually from NYC, reads them the presents Peter with ten that are "representative." Since you are a patriot fan you get lumped into the Rabid, Irrational hate from Patriot fans.

Yes, it is disgust, not hate, and it is extremely rational, but his highness will never see that he is "hated" for a reason.

You can admit an obvious truth but still hate the guy.

For instance, Stalin and Russia were over 50% responsible for beating Germany. (And under 10% responsible for beating Japan, but I digress.)

You can admit that and still hate Stalin.

Are you really comparing Belichick, who coaches a football team, with Stalin, one of the most brutal dictators in history? You wonder why you haters have no credibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back