PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Media speculation: Mankins to PUP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker is well on his way to becoming the new Casserly. Whatever he says, assume the opposite and you're probably right. I think that applies here.

And your thread title sucks.

Last edited:
This didn't actually happen, he's just saying it's a possibility (no kiddin'). They can put him on active/PUP at the start of training camp, but I imagine a decision on reserve/PUP wouldn't be made until just before the season.

Walker is well on his way to becoming the new Casserly. Whatever he says, assume the opposite and you're probably right. I think that applies here.

Yup. The grand sum of what he says: Mankins tore his ACL late last year and is a prime candidate to go on PUP. Whoopee.

Anyone rehabbing, who misses the first day of training camp, can be placed on Preseason PUP. You can come off at any time, with no window. You cannot be placed on PUP if you came out for any part of any training camp practice.

So most folks here well understand that the list of folks rehabbing are all candidates for PUP, including Mankins, Gronkowski, Fells, etc.

Anyone clear on the rules as specifically related to mini-camp? Assume that doesn't count, but not clear. Trivia.

Yeah, we pretty much knew this was coming. I'm all for Cannon, but Mankins still has plenty of time to return.

Re: Mankins to kinda could maybe end up on PUP says media village idiot

And your thread title sucks.

I'm all for Cannon, but I agree with the above post.

Only reason I see to bash is for the misleading thread title, Walker isn't really off base at all. Mankins played through the superbowl, which was only 4 months ago, on a torn ACL. Welker tore his in December and was a question mark up until the day the season started. Most people consider the time frame it took Welker to recover pretty amazing. I'd be surprised if Mankin's doesn't miss a few games and/or start on the PUP list, honestly.

Mankins' is one of the better pulling guards in the NFL, one of the bigger parts of his game, if he tries to play before he's ready he'll be a mess.

Last edited:
Where is the 'Brian Waters to Retire...c'mon Gallery' thread?

Yeah bro you need to edit the thread title

Only reason I see to bash is for the misleading thread title, Walker isn't really off base at all. Mankins played through the superbowl, which was only 4 months ago, on a torn ACL. Welker tore his in December and was a question mark up until the day the season started. Most people consider the time frame it took Welker to recover pretty amazing. I'd be surprised if Mankin's doesn't miss a few games and/or start on the PUP list, honestly.

Mankins' is one of the better pulling guards in the NFL, one of the bigger parts of his game, if he tries to play before he's ready he'll be a mess.

Welker's ACL was fully torn. Mankins' was not.

Where did you get that info. I don't remember seeing that there was that distinction.

At any rate, isn't it common wisdom that it takes 9 months to a year to recover fully from ACL surgery. Why not give him all the time and more to FULLY recover. We have good people to replace him if he's not ready. There is really no good reason to rush him.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the Volmer's back than Mankin's knee. He's the reason we might not get to see Marcus Cannon at OG this season, and OT is where the experienced depth is lacking.

Makes no difference once surgery is the chosen method of treatment. You can rehab a partially torn ACL and depending on what you do with your knee that may be fine. Mankins as an athlete chose to have his surgically replaced (they don't repair them) because the fix is closer to good as new if not better than new.

Its possible Mankins will be good to go in 6 months, Brady and Welker were. But they didn't have to go for 8-9 months which is preferrable. Brady also had an MCL to deal with but he's a QB. Neither was all the way back (mostly mentally for Brady but also physically for Welker) until almost 18 months later (because of the lost conditioning time when you're rehabbing). I'm sure Mankins will continue to target September for a return, but unless he's cleared for contact early in camp I can't see the team signing off on that. And there is a difference between being cleared to resume football activity and being cleared to resume playing. The conditioning and training you can do during rehab is not close to what you have to be capable of doing/withstanding to return to the field. Brady was cleared in February but not back with the team fully cleared until June. Welker was cleared in June but held out of early training camp. Players generally need about 4-6 weeks to ramp up. It will come down to whether he will be ready close enough to possibly hold a roster spot open for him for a few weeks or whether it's better for everyone to wait out the 6 weeks of PUP.

Where did you get that info. I don't remember seeing that there was that distinction.

At any rate, isn't it common wisdom that it takes 9 months to a year to recover fully from ACL surgery. Why not give him all the time and more to FULLY recover. We have good people to replace him if he's not ready. There is really no good reason to rush him.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the Volmer's back than Mankin's knee. He's the reason we might not get to see Marcus Cannon at OG this season, and OT is where the experienced depth is lacking.

That little snipet was reported shortly after we learned about the injury. But contrary to what was speculated at the time, it doesn't make any difference once you chose surgery as the method of treatment. They can't stitch 'em up, it's a poor fix just a step above pure rehab, which athletes can't afford to persue because reinjury is likely. 6-9 months is now the standard timeframe, thing is the football conditioning time lost and then the mental hurdle to get past take a little time over and above just being good to go.

I would not be surprised if Mankins, Zusevics, Carter, and one or two others
start training camp on Active/PUP or Active/NFI. The Patriots did this last year.

Umm.. guess you haven't been following the mini-camp and OTAs at all. Gallery is the one taking snaps at LG in place of Mankins. Most people on the site speculated, once they heard about Mankins knee, that it was that injury that sparked the Pats to sign Gallery.

BTW, I've been speculating that Mankins would start the year on the PUP since it was announced that he'd torn his ACL. Those boobs at ESPN probably read that speculation here.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if Mankins, Zusevics, Carter, and one or two others
start training camp on Active/PUP or Active/NFI. The Patriots did this last year.

Mankins and Carter can't be put on the Active/NFI list since their injuries were football related.

I'm not sure if Zusevics can be put on the Active/NFI list either. It all depends on how the league treats the Combine. Since it is a league activity, an injury there could be considered a football injury.

As for others, yeah, maybe. but that depends on where they are in their rehab..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes