PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Media Should Back Off Of Tebow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't feel terrible for him at all. As a professional your core duty is to perform in your profession. The rest is all great value add stuff to your personal standing (or appearance of personal standing) in whatever society that is.

I felt complete and utter elation at the fact that the Patriots finally won another playoff game. The Broncos were but a stepping stone.

Spreading the word is Tim's vocation. Football is his avocation and a platform for his vocation. In that respect he has already succeeded beyond even his own wildest dreams. Generally in order to succeed in this league those roles have to be reversed. Eventually Tim will come face to face with that reality. The media is drawn to him because they are lemmings and because so many whose avocation is football have little more than shameless self promotion for personal financial gain as their vocation. Tim's self promotion is much more altruistic. As opposed to those in the media who facilitate it. As a rule I save my sympathy for those a lot less fortunate than a multi millionaire football player who can't play the game at a level commensurate with his hype.

He is like Brady in the sense that he doesn't deserve the hate. They both seem like great guys and I agree I wish the media would tone it down

i haven't followed Tebow, but you have to admire his prespective on life and the way he handles himself. Seems to be a quality individual who ?i would like to see succeed (except when facing my team).

On a side note, I'm glad they said he couldn't win a playoff game in the divisional round:

He Said Commerical

Last edited:
Just listened to his press conference. He called it a good day because he got to help a kid.
Its real hard not to like the guy.
It's too bad the media is so obsessed that their obsession makes people dislike him.

Well let me be the Grinch here then. I don't particularly care about his charity work during what is supposed to be the most important game of his career. That was not a good day at all for an NFL quarterback.

If he doesn't want the media all over him maybe he should do his good deeds anonymously and quit drawing attention to himself as a football player for everything in the world that doesn't have to do with playing football.

There are quite a few Patriots that spend a lot of time helping sick kids and doing all manner of community work for the disadvantaged without the need to draw attention to themselves. I think we're living in the most narcissistic time in the history of the world. It's nice to help sick kids. You had an awful day, you need to work like "heck" this offseason if you ever hope to be an adequate NFL quarterback.

I don't like or dislike him, he's a running quarterback and will have a few years to prove he can transition or fall by the wayside. I don't feel I need to like, or dislike everyone who is prominent, I'm from a different generation where we had the option of not noticing or caring about most people, other than enjoying there work.:D

Unless you mean he put a smile on the kids face because he's a Patriots fan, I have to admit that would be a funny press conference moment.:)

Yea, he's a nice fellow, but whatever happened to just helping people anonymously? If anything, the fact that he broadcasts it so much makes me question his motives and authenticity.

Part of helping these people is bringing attention to their causes.

Honestly if you listen to the guy and see what he's doing and you question his motives I feel bad for you because you are probably cynical to a toxic degree.

Nothing has changed in my opinion in regards to Tebow the person. I think he is a role model I would like my son to emulate. He didn't ask for the media hype but he has handled it as well as you can imo. He is who he is and he stands by his beliefs and that's something I can respect along with all his humanitarian work. I'm sure his parents must be proud that their son has followed in their foot steps.

Now, Tebow the QB is in trouble. I hate the word blue print because not every team has the coaching and personal to emulate them. However if you can contain the edges and and have guys in the middle that can stop the run then Tebow is in trouble every time. The delayed blitzes worked like a champ last night.

Tebow has got to evolve as a QB or his playing days as a starting QB are over. As a passer he is way behind most other bottom feeder QB's in this league and that doesn't bode well in my eyes..

Part of helping these people is bringing attention to their causes.

Honestly if you listen to the guy and see what he's doing and you question his motives I feel bad for you because you are probably cynical to a toxic degree.

heh...yeah...toxic... like listening to Jim Jones or David Koresh...cynicism is warranted in today's landscape after DECADES of Jimmy Swaggerts, Jim Bakkers,Ted Haggards,Kenneth "Dad" Hagins,Robert Tiltons and Marjoe Gortners...it's STILL a free country...YOU are free to listen to whomever strikes your fancy...I'll remain cynical which is MY informed choice.

Well let me be the Grinch here then. I don't particularly care about his charity work during what is supposed to be the most important game of his career. That was not a good day at all for an NFL quarterback.

If he doesn't want the media all over him maybe he should do his good deeds anonymously and quit drawing attention to himself as a football player for everything in the world that doesn't have to do with playing football.

There are quite a few Patriots that spend a lot of time helping sick kids and doing all manner of community work for the disadvantaged without the need to draw attention to themselves. I think we're living in the most narcissistic time in the history of the world. It's nice to help sick kids. You had an awful day, you need to work like "heck" this offseason if you ever hope to be an adequate NFL quarterback.

I don't like or dislike him, he's a running quarterback and will have a few years to prove he can transition or fall by the wayside. I don't feel I need to like, or dislike everyone who is prominent, I'm from a different generation where we had the option of not noticing or caring about most people, other than enjoying there work.:D

That's where I think you have it backwards. He's not drawing attention to himself. He's drawing attention to others and being altruistic.

As you said we live in a narcissistic time and I think it's a good time to have someone like that on national TV to spread a much bigger message. Tim's not really pushing Christianity. He's pushing doing good deeds for others and not being selfish.

That's awesome no matter how you look at it. He's not asking people to go to church. He's not preaching. He's doing good deeds. In fact he's doing more than what most preachers do. They talk about it. He does it and displays it. He's definitely showing where it all comes from, and it came from his Christianity and his religious beliefs, but those beliefs whether you consider them "religious" are also ethical beliefs. I think they were ethical and moral beliefs before they ever became religious.

He does display one important attribute though. Believing in a higher power. I have always been very philosophical and maintained my atheism for most of my life but you do run into some situations, at least I have, when believing in yourself is not enough.

Believing in yourself is good but that can lead towards narcissism and it requires that you never stop believing in yourself. To get back up, to really get back up, is to get back after you stop believing in yourself. And when you get to those moments, well it becomes impossible if you are your own source of lift. You need a little bit of help. If you've never been there, then I think you have never fallen. Now some people in weak state of minds flock straight to "God" and buy into it completely. But it's not necessary.

He's right in that if you believe in a higher power, not just yourself, you might just end up having even more success. You have a "higher power". It doesn't have to mean religion, or God as most people refer to him, but something greater. And even Brady displays this attitude he just believes he's made for greater things.

What does Brady believe in? I don't really know. And maybe he doesn't either. But he believes in something. He believes in something greater than himself. I think it takes more than that and you have to believe in something greater than just yourself to really get there. To be a team player and a great leader you have to believe in something greater than yourself. I think marriage kind of works the same way too honestly. I do know that after that 2007 super bowl, Brady did fall. And he had to believe in something greater to be in this position once again and play at this level winning divisional games once again. It's very well possible Tebow could have had an effect that rubbed off on him too this year and reminded him of himself when he came into the league. We'll never know.

One quarterback threw 6 touchdowns tonight.

The media ignored him.

This^^^^^

He is begging for the attention. he has publicly stated that the only reason he wants to play and win is to be able to publicize his faith. He is getting exactly what he asked for.

That's where I think you have it backwards. He's not drawing attention to himself. He's drawing attention to others and being altruistic.

As you said we live in a narcissistic time and I think it's a good time to have someone like that on national TV to spread a much bigger message. Tim's not really pushing Christianity. He's pushing doing good deeds for others and not being selfish.

That's awesome no matter how you look at it. He's not asking people to go to church. He's not preaching. He's doing good deeds. In fact he's doing more than what most preachers do. They talk about it. He does it and displays it. He's definitely showing where it all comes from, and it came from his Christianity and his religious beliefs, but those beliefs whether you consider them "religious" are also ethical beliefs. I think they were ethical and moral beliefs before they ever became religious.

Aaagh, sorry my friend, you might change your opinion once you realize how much missionaries - + their followers around the world - and their actions have changed when it comes to preaching and spreading the word of what they believe in.

In fact, NOT talking about their God or beliefs or intentions openly and projecting the image of a selfless individual who respects all religion without disclosing that the long term objective is to convert is the new way to operate when around non-believers and other religious followers.

In any case, that is a subject to be covered under the "Religion" thread and I encourage you to browse some of the threads there.

Irrespective of what his intentions and religious beliefs are, I like and admire Teebow a lot for having an exceedingly firm handle - perspective as he says - on reality irrespective of an unbelievable and relentlessly harsh media spotlight on all his actions/inactions. :) Can't believe that he just graduated a few years back.

People seem to be one extreme or the other with Tebow. Either refusing to praise or be critical of in entirety. I dislike people who are overly pious usually because they are so egotistical about it or I think they're a phony. I don't get that from Tebow. I really think he walks the walk. Really I don't get the criticism about Tebow the man.

Now Tebow the QB is awful. He's tough as nails, a great competitor, great leader, his teammates love him. But as a drop back QB he frankly sucks. Yes he hit a few big passes against the Steelers but you're not going to win that way week after week. He can get some things done with his legs but so could Kordell Stewart.

I do think he has the desire, drive and heart to improve. I honestly hope he does. He's still young and has time. He's never going to be the drop back passer that Brady or Rodgers is but he could be Big Ben (on the field).

Nice guy ..... Complete fraud at QB.

I don't know about all that crap, but my point was the media should just let him be another player and take the spotlight off of him.

Q: What do you call a QB who goes 10-21 and 9-26 in successive games?

A: Hugh Millen

I don't know about all that crap, but my point was the media should just let him be another player and take the spotlight off of him.

He will fight against that, Andy.

If you don't know that, you don't know him.

Last night pretty much took care of that:p

If he's even half the kind of person and player he's reputed to be then he'll gnaw on that Humble Pie and also learn some things from last night. If he's smart he'll watch Professor Brady's film. Over and over and over again.

Last night pretty much took care of that:p

If he's even half the kind of person and player he's reputed to be then he'll gnaw on that Humble Pie and also learn some things from last night. If he's smart he'll watch Professor Brady's film. Over and over and over again.

Exactly, if he is such a winner, leader of men and team player wouldn't that include competently playing your position and learning how to read a defense?

He also through a few Peyton-like fits last night that no one wants to mention.

Exactly, if he is such a winner, leader of men and team player wouldn't that include competently playing your position and learning how to read a defense?

He also through a few Peyton-like fits last night that no one wants to mention.

Who is the Peyton person your speaking of. I seem to forget who he is.

Oh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back