Welcome to PatsFans.com

Media Reporting and Race

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

Found this article when News Googling Duke Lacrosse. It's long, and I'm not familiar with the site or writer, but the crime, and the questions/points being made do make you think a little. The crime itself is extremely heinous, and is why I support the death penalty. I'd never heard about this poor couple till now. Would I have had the shoes been a on the opposite feet?

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/gaynor/070404

Excerpt:

"Tragedy strikes people of all colors, and I think it is imperative that those who print the news as well as those who would claim to seek equality and justice acknowledge that. Christian and Newsom died tragic deaths. Their brutal murders deserved to be acknowledged, and the attackers deserved to be known.

"I can guarantee that I'm not the only one who is suspicious over whether the lack of coverage is a concerted effort to brush the story under the rug. Even if it wasn't, it is a huge fumble not to have reported the case. But if my suspicions are correct, it'll only reinforce a sad truth that I've come to learn: The most devastating and important cases are simply passed over when they don't fit the agenda."

The Knoxville case not only does not fit the agenda of The New York Times and the politically correct crowd, it involves a savagery that dwarfs that of the fabricated savagery in the Duke case.

If the couple was black and the persons allegedly responsible for their barbaric deaths were white, would The New York Times have found room for the story?

On the front page!
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Odd thing is not even the conservative Washington Times covered this story. I have a friend who works for the Boston Herald. I'll find out if he has any thoughts on why this story wouldn't have been picked up. To tell you the truth, it strikes me that it has all the makings of a good media story. Not only is it a horrific crime, but it's being exploited by the likes of David Duke and Aryan Nation so support their contention that the media is giving whites a bum deal.

http://www.davidduke.com/general/1998_1998.html
    http://onepeoplesproject.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1139&Itemid=2
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

Hmmm....double standard?
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

That story makes my BLOOD BOIL.

Those 4 men need to be found and justice needs to be done. Their acts border on the unforgivable.

This country is getting more and more divided. I think there will be an ethnic civil war soon in the United States.
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

What's sad, and it's not the race bit, is that I only heard about this crime because I was googling news articles cuz of the Duke/Imus incident. How come nobody in the MSM reported this, or even mentioned it? This crime, were it committed by green aliens from outer space, is disturbing. What are people in this country becoming, and why? All this cuz they wanted to carjack a 4 Runner? Imagine how much that poor couple suffered. These evil people do not deserve to live. It's cases like these where I support the death penalty.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

This story was not reported in Newsmax or Worldnet either, I guess that their reporting relies on other news sources as well. Do not remember it on Drudge either, take away any racial issues it is a horrific crime and when found guilty they should be put to death. Do not frame it as something the NYT did not report, no one reported it.. not sure how the right wing outlets missed this opportunity. Maybe they were reporting on the media obsession, Anna Nicole.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

If I commented on this I would be banned fron the whole internet system and more than likely arrested.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

A few thoughts. The crime may not have been a hate crime. The only people making that claim are white rights leaders like David Duke and Aryan Nation. The animals who committed the crime may not have targeted a white couple. That said, the crime is so heinous that it will lead to the death penalty, so my guess is other charges would be filed if any of the defendants are acquitted.

Also, a visit to this site reveals there are all sorts of awful crimes that we don't hear about:

http://www.topix.net/wire/news/violent-crime?

At any rate, the broader question is, what do we do about crime? Obviously, the conservative approach of more punishment and stricter laws hasn't been especially effective. Perhaps it's time to also add the liberal approach and try to help families and kids at a young age?
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

The point is, why was it ignored? Was it simply not newsworthy? Was it to prevent the possibility of inciting racial animosity? If so, would that be wrong, or would it have been understandable? The flip side to that it, were the colors reveresed, would it be news, would it not? What would the scenario be? I'm merely offering it as a point of discussion, as we really can only speculate as to what the reasons, or answers are.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

How do you know it's not a hate crime? I'm asking.

As for the "conservative" approach being one of strictness, hate to say, but we're not strict enough.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

In the liberal left wing circles it is unthinkable to believe that any type of Minority can commit a hate crime, the only people capable of commiting hate crimes are "white, right wing christians"
    :bricks:
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

Don't you have some clamming to do? ;)
  13. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hate hate crimes. Does that make me a bad person?
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Why does it even matter if it is a hate crime?

Why should the crime be any different. If someone murders one of my loved ones I don't care why they did it.
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I'm was simply trying to speculate why the national media, including conservative sites, didn't pick up the story. Obviously, it's a horrendous crime, but from what I see there are a number of awful crimes that aren't picked up by the national media. I would guess this story wasn't picked up because of a lack of photos or film (which media depends on), absence an unusual angle (which a hate crime could provide), and possibly key people, such as family of the victims, were unwilling to talk to the media. In addition, it appears that it took a week for all the details to become available, in which case the media may have moved onto other things. I'm not drawing any political conclusions, and given that Aryan organizations tried to organize a march on behalf of the victims, I think the media should have picked it up, because that raises some complex issues.

Obviously it's a horrible crime and those animals deserve at least life in prison without parole.
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

I find the idea of hate crimes being differentiated from other crimes to be offensive. All crime is serious and no crime of the same severity is better or worse due to the motivation of the criminal all crime is horrendous.
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Hate crimes add another level of protection. If any of those animals get a light sentence, then I bet the Feds would go after them for hate crimes. In cases where juries let their own prejudices intervene

-- for instance, http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/law/lwsch/journals/bctwj/21_2/03_TXT.htm --

hate crimes legislation can offer a measure of justice.

Our justice system isn't perfect and unfortunately individual biases do affect outcomes.
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

The sentences should conform to the severity of the crime, not the alleged motivation of the criminals. This is why many conservatives tend to perfer manditory minimum sentences for violent crimes. Many liberals only want mandatory sentences for their pet 'hate' crimes.
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

Hate Crimes & Freedom Of Speech are both covered by the Main Stream Media in the same way.

If a Minority of any kind (Asian, Black, Homosexual etc) commits a hate crime it is buried on page 543 with the used cars for one day.

If a White Christian commits a hate crime it is Front Page Headline for a month.

Freedom of speech all depends on the Speech and who is giving the Speech.

Far Left Wing Liberals do not want to tolerate freedom of speech unless they agree with it.

Far Left wing Liberals DO NOT want the people to hear what the Right Wing has to say, they have proven this many times in their hatred for Fox News, Coulter, Limbaugh, Hannity and the Bloggers.
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Again, hate crimes legislation provides a way to help overcome prejudices of juries. I remember years ago reading about a case where a jury acquitted a rapist because the woman was dressed provocatively! Our legal system is not perfect. That said, I think most criminals would agree with your point of view.