PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Media Predictions: Week 13, Jets at Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been lurking some Jets forums this week and their reactions to being picked against are hilarious (bordering on juvenile). I think they would rather be picked by the media more than actually accomplish anything in substance. I could care less whether the media picks the Patriots or not. I guess for the Jets fans they are like little children who needs validation before believing that they are actually any good.

ESPN's Patriots-Jets prediction roundup - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

A roundup of how ESPN’s analysts see Monday night’s Patriots-Jets game playing out:

* ESPNBoston.com’s Mike Reiss: Patriots 24, Jets 17. I think this game will live up to its hype, two of the NFL's best teams going toe to toe in a super-charged environment. Everywhere I've been in the city and suburbs this week, it seems a lot of people are saying the same thing, "Monday can't get here fast enough." I can't remember this much excitement for a regular-season game in recent memory. I think it will be lower-scoring and close headed into the fourth quarter, before Tom Brady leads a game-winning touchdown drive.

* ESPNBoston.com’s Tedy Bruschi: Two words -- Pats win! This will be a special night for me and I have tried my hardest to be impartial as an analyst up for the past year and a half. I can't do that this week.

* ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter: Patriots over Jets. I trust Tom Brady in this spot more than I trust Mark Sanchez. I just believe that somehow, some way, despite the fact that Brady has struggled against Rex Ryan defenses, that he'll find a way to get it done. I don't know how, I don't know why, and it may just be that I'm wrong. But Brady has been spot on this year. Spot on. As good as anybody in the league. You have to figure at home, where he's done OK, he's going to do OK again on Monday night. (From a WEEI interview)

* Bill Simmons: PATRIOTS (-3.5) over Jets. I've always liked Uggs!

* ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth: Jets over Patriots. There are a lot of defensive questions with that Patriots team, but offensively, they are a rhythmic offense. They are not a team that can line up and play smash-mouth with you. If they are off rhythm for even a minute you’re going to have troubles. I like the cornerbacks of the New York Jets to get them off rhythm.

* ESPN NFL analyst Darren Woodson: Patriots over Jets. Tom Brady and this offense is precision: 11 touchdowns to zero interceptions in the last four games. I like Brady in this game. At home, I think they take control of the division.

* ESPN experts: Six of the seven experts pick the Patriots to beat the Jets (only Schlereth picks New York).

* Sunday Countdown: Mike Ditka and Cris Carter pick the Patriots and Keyshawn Johnson and Tom Jackson pick the Jets.

* AccuScore simulations: Patriots 28, Jets 22 (on average). You can simulate the game yourself here.

* Madden simulation: Patriots 31, Jets 24. In a game that's decided by the final score, Tom Brady outplays Mark Sanchez to give the Patriots the 31-24 win. Brady throws for 274 yards and three touchdowns, including a 4-yard score to Wes Welker with 1:20 left on the clock to help New England climb to 10-2 on the season. Sanchez, on the other hand, throws two touchdowns, but he throws two second-half interceptions that swing the game in the Patriots favor.

* Gary Horton, Scouts, Inc.: Patriots 31, Jets 21. (Insider)

Let's see what I can find from those that cover the Jets

Newsday | Gridiron Guide: NFL picks for Week 13 | John Boell
JETS (9-2) at PATRIOTS (9-2)

Line: Patriots by 3 1/2

Over/Under: 46

TV-Radio: ESPN , Ch. 9, ESPN (1050), 8:30 p.m.

This is the NFL's biggest game of the season yet. The Jets are 10-2 ATS their last 12 December road games; the Pats are 4-10 ATS their last 14 home games vs. Jets. But the eyeball test tells me otherwise: The Pats are the better play. Tom Brady has won an NFL-record 25 straight regular-season home games.

The pick: Patriots

NFL Staff Picks | NY Daily News

Going against a point spread of 3½ points, it is 5-3 in favor of the Jets at the New York Daily News. Bill Gallo makes the Pats his 'best bet', and Hank Gola and Kevin Armstrong also take the Pats to cover the spread. Jim Rich, Gary Myers, Ralph Vacchiano, Manish Mehta and Mighty Quinn all take Jets and the points. Myers already said earlier that the Jets would win outright.

Chicago Bears will maul Detroit Lions and Jets, Giants and Saints are solid picks in NFL action | NY Daily News | Sean Brennan
JETS at PATRIOTS

Monday, 8:30 p.m., ESPN, Patriots by 3½, 46

BRENNAN'S BEAUTIES: Poor Tom Brady. Seems to be more hair on the pillow when he wakes up these days. But he has bigger problems this week than his apparently thinning locks. That would be the 9-2 Jets. Sure, Gang Green has had its share of detractors, many defining them as lucky rather than good after narrow wins over Denver, Detroit, Cleveland and Houston. Not exactly the NFL's version of Murderer's Row. Now the Jets jet into New England where Brady and friends haven't lost in 25 straight regular-season home games started by Gisele's husband. This will be the week we find out if the Jets are lucky or if they're good. Gang Green comes in riding an eight-game road winning streak so they certainly won't be spooked by playing the Pats at home, even if Rex Ryan isn't the coach Bill Belichick is just yet (his words, not mine). Expect Rex to turn up the defensive heat Monday night and have Brady so frustrated he'll be pulling the rest of his hair out.

IF I WERE A BETTING MAN: Jets and the over.

Sunday's Best - NYPOST.com

Against a line of Pats by 3½, it is 6-4 in favor of the Jets at the New York Post.
Mark Cannizzaro, Tim Bontemps, Mike Battaglino, Rico, Dave Blezow and Hondo take the Jets; Cannizzaro and Battaglino also make the Jets one of their three best bets.
Chris Shaw, Steve Serby, Paul Schwartz go with the Pats, and Ms Charleen makes the Pats one of her best bets.

Dave Blezow: Giants will sack Redskins - NYPOST.com
Jets (+3 1/2) over PATRIOTS: The Jets were the last team to beat Tom Brady in the regular season at home (17-14, Nov. 12, 2006). Rex Ryan says his guys are just the men for the job. This one’s all on Mark Sanchez and Brian Schottenheimer. They have to attack the 32nd-ranked Pats defense, score touchdowns instead of field goals, and play keep-away from Brady. Do that and the road to Dallas goes through the Meadowlands.

Hondo stays hot, keeps pace, faith - NYPOST.com
Jets over Patriots: The Jets play to the level of their competition (aside from their game against the Bengwads — nobody can stoop that low), which means they should be right there at the end plugging away against Brady. Hondo is a little concerned about Rex making nice with Belichick. The next thing you know he’ll ask to kiss his rings.

Week 13 N.F.L. Matchups - NYTimes.com
Jets (9-2) at Patriots (9-2)
Monday, 8:30 p.m.
Line: Patriots by 3 1/2

Bill Belichick, like the Grinch, makes being a spoilsport fun. Nothing in the world can bait him into saying anything interesting during the week, and he gave the Patriots a day off on Wednesday just to tone down the Game of the Century rhetoric. The Patriots even provide their own bland in-house trash talk, with Deion Branch ribbing Tom Brady for his study habits. “He’s a nerd,” Branch told The Massachusetts Sun-Chronicle. “The guy studies too much.” Millionaire nerds who marry supermodels — sounds like fodder for a sequel to “The Social Network.” Branch also noted that the Patriots’ offense is a lot like the scheme that helped the team to three Super Bowl victories. “The similarities are pretty much about the same,” he said.
That settles that. Pick: Patriots

Predictions from the two other AFC East cities:

Greg Cote's Week 13 NFL selections - Greg Cote - MiamiHerald.com
NFL Game Of The Week

JETS (9-2) AT PATRIOTS (9-2)

When: 8:30 p.m. Monday (ESPN)

Line: NE by 3 ½

Cote's pick: NE 27-23

Playoff feel guaranteed as division rivals tied for NFL's best record dive into winter, the winner claiming AFC inside rail in run for the Super Bowl. Great marquee game for the Monday folks, making amends for last week's 49ers-Cardinals lemon. Planes won 28-14 in September but beating a good team twice is tough in this league, and Tom Brady is way hot. When in doubt, go with the elite QB playing at home.

News Staff Selections: Week 13 - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News

Apparently the Buffalo writers were not as impressed with the Pats win over Buffalo as they were with New England prior to that game. They're at 5-1 for the Jets to cover the spread, but I did not see any predictions on who would actually win the football game, as opposed to the betting game.

Jets (+3 1/2) at New England

Gaughan: Jets
Wilson: Jets
Sullivan: Jets
DiCesare: Jets
Northrop: Jets
McKissic: New England

Gary Myers has been on the jets bandwagon since day one.He writes for the daily news here.Not surprised!

I live in NYC and get the Daily News at my door every morning. I take a second seat to no one as a Pats fan (how many of you can say that you took a walk past the bars on Second Avenue in Midtown, wearing your SB XXXVI hat and BB Hoodie, after the Pats beat the Jets on a Sunday afternoon?), but I'm going to defend Gary.

Yeah, he's a homer. But if he weren't, he could never keep his job. However, if you read his columns all the time, you'll see that he has consistently called out Woody Johnson over the PSL's and a bunch of other things and has often called out Rex over his big mouth. Sure he was a loudmouth during Spygate, but, let's face it, we gave him the ammunition.

Gary also reads and answers his emails from subscribers if you make a contrary point in a respectful manner. I've had two or three good exchanges with him.

There are much better targets on the Daily News (Bondy and Lupica come to mind) than Myers.

I have been lurking some Jets forums this week and their reactions to being picked against are hilarious (bordering on juvenile). I think they would rather be picked by the media more than actually accomplish anything in substance. I could care less whether the media picks the Patriots or not. I guess for the Jets fans they are like little children who needs validation before believing that they are actually any good.

Agreed. My reaction is to wish the mediots were all picking the Jets. I get nervous when we're picked to win a game like this.

Some more predictions from reporters of AFC teams.

Baltimore Sun staff and WJZ's Mark Viviano NFL picks Week 13 - Baltimore Sun
Jets: Mike Preston, Ken Murray, Mark Vivano, Jamison Hensley
Pats: Kevin Cowherd, Edward Lee, Peter Schmuck

Gerry Dulac's NFL Forecast: Week 13
The Skinny: You thought Steelers-Ravens was a good prime-time matchup? The Jets have won four in a row and already own a victory against the Patriots this season. Tom Brady has won his last 25 regular-season starts at home.

Prediction: Patriots, 24-20

NFL game of the week: Jets vs. Patriots - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
NEW ENGLAND QB TOM BRADY

Brady struggled badly during the second half of the first meeting against the Jets and that was when Darrelle Revis was out of the game with an injury. Brady wasn't good against the Jets last year either throwing only one touchdown in two games. Still, Brady has been hot since throwing 23 touchdowns and only four picks for the season.

N.Y. JETS DARRELLE REVIS/ANTONIO CROMARTIE

Revis and Cromartie are the best at their position in the NFL. The two have shut down some of the NFL's best, including last week when they held Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens to a combined 58 yards receiving. The two have to find a way to cover different type of receivers in Deion Branch and Wes Welker rather than the big-play receiver.

ADVANTAGE: BRADY

Brady has played well against the Jets. He is 12-4 lifetime against the Jets and has thrown for more than 3,500 yards, 18 touchdowns and nine interceptions. Plus, Brady has won 25 consecutive games at home and seems to find ways to be successful even if it is against the league's best.

IndyStar.com | NFL Week 13 picks from Planet Loser | Bounce It Off Phil B. | The Indianapolis Star
STRAIGHT UP
Jets at Patriots – Patriots

SPREAD ’EM
Jets +3 Patriots – Patriots

The Star’s week 13 NFL picks - KansasCity.com

Patriots 28-17 - Sam Mellinger
Patriots 26-24 - Randy Covitz
Patriots 20-17 - Kent Babb
Patriots 23-16 - Adam Teicher

Week 13 NFL picks - SignOnSanDiego.com
Jets plus 3.5 at Patriots:
I think Jets will be able to run ball and play keepaway.

Looking at the media picks from the first page (CBS, FOX, ESPN, YAHOO) out of 23 or so analysts, all but 1 picked the Patriots to win. In a game where two 9-2 teams are matched up (in which the Jets already beat the Patriots) I do agree that it's kind of crazy that the ratio is 22:1 Pats/Jets. In the end you're right, it is juvenile for people to overreact but it's no different than the guy on the first page saying he's going to send an angry e-mail to a writer who predicted the Jets to win.

In the end, I'm not sure what's worse: being upset about analysts picks for a game, or calling analysts and fans idiots and juvenile for thinking the opposing team will win. I haven't seen greatness since the Barry Sanders days but I've learned to appreciate the good times much more. The vibe I get here is that anything less than 'Tom Brady and the Patriots are the best ever' is a criminal act against the Patriots and this fanbase.

what's your point ?

pats

brady's a god at home

Phil Simms picked the Jets on the FAN this am.

Video: Hammerin' Hank's Pats-Jets pick - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
In the video above, Hank Goldberg makes his prediction for Monday night’s Patriots-Jets game.

“Here’s the key to the game: Will the Jets be able to run the ball against the 8-man front that New England figures to throw at them,” Hank says.

(Spoiler alert: Hank picks the Patriots to win.)

Week 13 NFL Picks Ready for Regular-Season Super Bowls in New England, Baltimore - NFL - NESN.com
Michael Hurley takes the Pats to win, and also cover the spread.
NEW ENGLAND (-3.5) over New York Jets

There's this feeling in my gut that the Jets are going to roll into Foxboro and just tear the hearts out of the Patriots. Yet, I can't just let my gut do the picking here, so I did a little thinking.

We know that Bill Belichick is a killer when he has extra time to prepare (8-0 last eight seasons after a bye). We know that Belichick's Patriots are killers once the calendar turns from November to December (37-9 record in regular season in December and January). We know that the Patriots haven't lost at home with Brady since 2006. And we know that Belichick's Patriots have not lost to the same divisional opponent twice in one season since 2000.

Now, does all that guarantee that things can't change in one game in the NFL? No, but add in that Mark Sanchez went 8-for-21 for 136 yards, 1 TD and 4 INTs last year in Gillette in what was a must-win game at the time, and you can at least feel better about taking the Patriots.

David Givens, Max Lane Leaning Toward Patriots in Week 13 'NESN Daily' Grid Picks (Video) - NESN Daily Grid Picks - NESN.com
Max Lane: 17-10 Pats
David Givens: 38-28 Pats
Good news, Patriots fans. A couple of former Pats like New England's chances this Monday night, and if their prognostications from past weeks are any indications, the Patriots will likely come out victorious.
David Givens and Max Lane recently made their NESN Daily Grid Picks and they both like their former team. That's probably a good thing. Givens is 19-6 on the season with his picks for a .760 winning percentage. Lane is percentage points better at 23-7 with a .767 percentage.

Quick Picks: Curran smells a blowout
Tom Curran "smells a blowout" and is going with the Pats against a 3-point spread.
88% of CSNNE's audience take the Pats - the lowest percentage this year.

It Is What It Is Peter King on D&H: Devin McCourty tips game in Patriots’ favor
Peter King of Sports Illustrated and NBC Sports made his weekly appearance on the Dale & Holley show Friday afternoon and previewed the Patriots-Jets matchup. King said he only recently decided that the Patriots can win the game, based on one player’s performance in last week’s win over the Lions.

“I think the Patriots will [win],” King said. “If you would have asked me two weeks ago, or even especially before the Detroit game, there’s a good chance I would have said the Jets. But something happened in that Detroit game to convince me that the Patriots are OK. And that is the play of Devin McCourty. I just think that he now gives Santonio Holmes a real tough day on that side of the field.

“Hey, look, I have no idea what [Bill] Belichick will do. Nobody does. But I think it’s logical to suggest that on more than half of the obvious passing plays in this game that Devin McCourty’s going to be on Santonio Holmes. If that is the case, then what I would say is based on the way that I saw Devin McCourty play Calvin Johnson, based on jousting with Calvin Johnson and winning the one interception we saw — to me, I look at him now as way beyond a rookie corner. So, I think he’s going to make a very big difference in the game.”

NFL Week 13 picks including Jets-Patriots, Steelers-Ravens - Peter King - SI.com
Patriots 27, Jets 20
Ye Olde New England Donnybrook. I expect varied coverages on the Patriots tight ends, with Darrelle Revis not being isolated on Wes Welker for four quarters, but there aren't three Revises. I also expect Tom Brady to find Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski enough to win.

Globe staff's pro picks: Week 13 - Boston.com
Against a spread of Pats by 3 ½ points, Gasper, SMY and Monique Walker take the Pats; Jim McBride goes with the Jets.

Eric Wilbur's Boston Sports Blog
Patriots 35, Jets 28.
A pair of defensive scores, including one late, seals the deal for New England.

I didn't realize the Wall Street Journal had a sports section.
These WSJ picks are against the spread.

NFL Week 13 Picks - The Daily Fix - WSJ
New York Jets at New England Patriots (-3.5)
David Roth: New England
Nando Di Fino: New York Jets
AccuScore: New England

The Jets and Patriots have a good rivalry even when neither team is any good. Much of this, it should be said, owes to New England’s uniquely bilious Bill Belichick, whose hatred of the Jets is so profound that he reportedly cannot say the words “the Jets” without sandwiching a very profane seven-letter modifier between the two words. Acrimony isn’t exactly a scarce resource in the NFL, of course – what makes this Monday Night game one worth watching is the fact that these are two of the NFL’s better teams. That New England’s defense ranks 31st in the NFL in yards allowed (with a whopping 399.1 per game) might be the least-known and most-salient factoid of the NFL season thus far, but between New England’s uncannily locked-in offense and the fact that Gang Green frankly hasn’t looked that great over its four-game winning streak, New England’s defensive deficiencies may well stay under the radar for another week. The Jets’ defense is impressive in every way, and will be scheming inventively to make this as uncomfortable for Tom Brady and his cohorts as possible. It won’t be because they hate the Pats with insufficient intensity, but I don’t think it will be enough for the Jets to win this one.

Hard Hits with LaVar Arrington - Week 13 NFL picks
Patriots over Jets:
The Pats aren't playing around in this grudge match.

DMN staff picks (12/3) | DMN NFL Picks | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
Straight up it is 8-1 in favor of the Pats; only Tim Cowlishaw goes with the Jets.
Gerry Fraley, Rick Gosselin, Dana Larson, Craig Miller, David Moore, Rainer Sabin, Kevin Sherrington and Jean-Jacques-Tayloe all take the Pats.
Against a line of Jets +3½, Gosselin, Moore and Taylor join Cowlishaw in picking New York.

Standings a factor in point spreads | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/02/2010 | Bill Ordine
Like but don't love

N.Y. Jets at New England (minus-3½). The Patriots need this game because they lost the first one to the Jets. Plus, the Pats are at home, where they do defend the castle.

Pick: Patriots.

Detroit News NFL picks: Week 13 | detnews.com | The Detroit News
Against the spread (NE minus 3½), McCosky, Niyo and Wojnowski take the Pats; Twentyman goes with the Jets.

Week 13 predictions: Detroit Lions vs. Chicago Bears and other NFL games | MLive.com
Brian Van Ochten, David Mayo, and Bill Simonson take the Pats
Tom Kowalski thinks the Jets will win.

Expert Picks: NFL Week 13 Pigskin Pick 'Ems | MLive.com
Against the 3½ point spread, this panel of Detroit sports experts has it 6-4 in favor of the Jets.
Ryan Ermanni, James Schmehl, Justin Rogers and Dan Miller take the Pats.
Philipa Zaroo, Tom Kowalski, Sean Baligian, Rob Otto, Ryan Terpstra and Bill Emkow like the Jets plus the points.

Sam Farmer's Week 13 NFL picks - chicagotribune.com
Jets (9-2) at Patriots (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Monday, ESPN

Line: Patriots by 3.5, Over/under: 46

The Jets have won eight in a row on the road, and Mark Sanchez has been outstanding vs. division foes. But the Patriots just don't lose these games at home.

Pick: Patriots 27, Jets 24

Tom Silverstein's Week 13 NFL picks - JSOnline - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Straight Up: Patriots
Against the 3½ point spread: Jets

Media is almost unanimous.

Looks like theres no way for the Pats to lose.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye