PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Media & Fans "Blueprint to beat the 2010 Pats" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFLN:Blueprint to beat the Pats

The blueprint to beat this offense is the same as it always was. Shut down the run, get a consistent pass rush with your front three/four, and play tight coverage in the secondary. Unfortunately for other teams, Tom Brady used to be the best quarterback in NFL against the blitz and he's now returned to that form. This offense as it's constructed now, is tailor made to feast on over aggressive one-gap defense. The quick passing game helps our O-Line out and takes advantage of holes in the zone left vacated by extra rushers which defensive coordinators keep sending at Brady. This is why we've been able to torch otherwise stout defenses like Pittsburgh and New York. I thought Chicago had a good chance to slow us down because they've been able to consistently rush the passer with their front four, but our offensive line stood up to the challenge.

I think the only way to defend this Pats offense is to play nickel, do not bite on play-action and disguise blitzes. The Pats should be able to eat this up with their running game from the two TE set, but maybe they'll catch BB/BOB in an aggressive mood (think Mike Martz in SB36) and will call more pass plays than necessary.

In essense, teams need to catch the Pats on a bad coaching day.

Regards,
Chris

P.S. Obviously "getting pressure with just the front four" is also ideal, but that's not a blueprint. That's a given. It's easier said than done.

I think Brady has proved as recently as this past week, bad play calling won't stop him. He has the option to change the play in any situation.

In 2007 the Patriots were failed by the NYG defense who put constant pressure on Brady with a 4 man rush, and they were able to defend 4 or 5 receivers with 7 defenders. I would say the biggest factor was the pass rush - Strahan, Tuck, etc., were dominant that day. And it STILL took no fewer than two miracle plays to beat the Patriots that day.
Is there anyone in the AFC that can put similar pressure on Brady with a four man rush? Maybe Baltimore? They are probably the one potential playoff team that scares me because of Suggs.
The blueprint is do not turn the ball over and score 28-35 points. The Pats offense has benefited greatly from turnovers during this streak, and I still say the turnovers are masking a terrible defense. Yes, the defense is making some great plays on the ball - especially McCourty, but I'm worried about the team that's going to play conservative, mistake-free football against the Pats - think NYG under Parcells-type football with 20 pass attempts a game.
If you're on opposing OC, why wouldn't you just run on first and second down and have 3rd and 6 or 7. In that down and distance, the Pats are probably going to rush 4 and drop 7. Block those 4 with your 5 linemen and a back or tight end and the opposing QB will have all day to find the open guy. Sounds simple, and I don't know why no one has tried that...In that circumstance I think teams would convert 70% on third down....

Last edited:

Best line comes from Woodson: "To beat the New England Patriots right now you have to out score them."

Genius.

I knew someone would come up with this diabolically clever plan sooner or later. Drat!

The blueprint to beat this offense is the same as it always was. Shut down the run, get a consistent pass rush with your front three/four, and play tight coverage in the secondary. Unfortunately for other teams, Tom Brady used to be the best quarterback in NFL against the blitz and he's now returned to that form. This offense as it's constructed now, is tailor made to feast on over aggressive one-gap defense. The quick passing game helps our O-Line out and takes advantage of holes in the zone left vacated by extra rushers which defensive coordinators keep sending at Brady. This is why we've been able to torch otherwise stout defenses like Pittsburgh and New York. I thought Chicago had a good chance to slow us down because they've been able to consistently rush the passer with their front four, but our offensive line stood up to the challenge.
Well said, there's not much to add to that. Nice analysis, well done.

I always get a chuckle from these fans of other teams that loudly proclaim "everybody knows it's simple: all you have to do to beat the Pats is hit Brady; why didn't we (losing opponent) blitz more?" Not only do they not understand what happened in SB42, they're actually convinced that all a team has to do is blitz and the Patriots will lose - and that they know more about the game of football than an NFL coach does.

Last edited:

Well said, there's not much to add to that. Nice analysis, well done.

I always get a chuckle from these fans of other teams that loudly proclaim "everybody knows it's simple: all you have to do to beat the Pats is hit Brady; why didn't we (losing opponent) blitz more?" Not only do they not understand what happened in SB42, they're actually convinced that all a team has to do is blitz and the Patriots will lose - and that they know more about the game of football than an NFL coach does.

Steelers fans, when I visited their boards after the game was over, actually were the only fanbase I saw that didn't say this. They said that LeBeau should have learned his lesson by now not to send extra rushers at Brady and instead should have played a more coverage-based scheme with mostly the three down linemen as pass rushers.

I don't get it, where's the blueprint for the Saints, or Steelers, or Falcons? The Patriots are the only team that requires a coordinated and cooperative effort by the entirety of the NFL to come up with a viable game plan to beat them?

Happens all the time

NFL.com news: Saints provide blueprint for rest of league to handle Manning, Colts

We had the same story written about us last year when we lost to the Bucs and the other 2 games. Same story showed up when we lost to the Browns. I wouldn't read to much into it. There kind of silly really. Not much depth, and pretty simplistic, Ive noticed.

BB is such a genius. He figured out the arms race had progressed, and has just said, OK mother-fers, now beat THIS. When multiple teams adapt specifically to beat us (e.g., the Jets) BB responds by building an offense that dismantles that "blueprint."

What BB has done this season is simply amazing, turning the offense around completely to conform to a new shape (which is an old shape, really).

BB is such a genius. He figured out the arms race had progressed, and has just said, OK mother-fers, now beat THIS. When multiple teams adapt specifically to beat us (e.g., the Jets) BB responds by building an offense that dismantles that "blueprint."

What BB has done this season is simply amazing, turning the offense around completely to conform to a new shape (which is an old shape, really).

With all due respect , and I really wish more would stick with this man, threw thick and thin.

Whats more amazing is before the 2 blowouts he was suspect in his coaching, and if you lost the next 2 games by only 3pts, he would be back in the idiot house, I think.

kind of a short leash, for such a good coach, sure hope he doesn't give a rats butt about whats said about him, during the lull.

Now I did say "with all due respect" so , Im pretty much covered in anything I say
YouTube - Talladega Nights With All Due Respect

Last edited:

Seems the NFL has Patriots envy

How to stop the Pats

This was discussed on NFL channel this morning.

Some points of the panel - Sap, Irvin, Faulk - who surprisingly wasn't bashing us and had valid thoughts:) - and Mariucci.

- Come up with an entirely new version of the gameplan that BB hasn't seen before. Throw away every single tendency or trait that the team uses like using a particular play for 3rd and 1
- Get physical with the WRs; haven't seen this happening much in the past
- Rattle Brady like how he was in the Browns game
- Throw deep 'cause there is a reason for us to be ranked 32 against the pass D (oh, this was from Faulk. :))
- Be bold and aggressive; go for more fourth downs and try to keep the Pats O off the field.

Mariucci pointed out to Sap's point (on new version) that if a team attempts it, it better put up some points because the Pats will certainly have 30+ points and so new gameplans can't afford to splutter.

Re: How to stop the Pats

Those are pretty good points, I gotta say. Of course, it's all in the execution.

This was discussed on NFL channel this morning.

Some points of the panel - Sap, Irvin, Faulk - who surprisingly wasn't bashing us and had valid thoughts:) - and Mariucci.

- Come up with an entirely new version of the gameplan that BB hasn't seen before. Throw away every single tendency or trait that the team uses like using a particular play for 3rd and 1
- Get physical with the WRs; haven't seen this happening much in the past
- Rattle Brady like how he was in the Browns game
- Throw deep 'cause there is a reason for us to be ranked 32 against the pass D (oh, this was from Faulk. :))
- Be bold and aggressive; go for more fourth downs and try to keep the Pats O off the field.

Mariucci pointed out to Sap's point (on new version) that if a team attempts it, it better put up some points because the Pats will certainly have 30+ points and so new gameplans can't afford to splutter.

Bolded part is exactly why you don't experiment against the Pats unless your playoff hopes are dead. You can't risk it against a team that makes so few mistakes and is this efficient.

to me you have to do 2 things.

1. ball control/long sustained drives - this limits the amount of possessions brady will have, and keeps him off the field

2. get to brady without bringing too many

to me you have to do 2 things.

1. ball control/long sustained drives - this limits the amount of possessions brady will have, and keeps him off the field

2. get to brady without bringing too many

3. dont turn the ball over, we turn the to's into more points than anyone else.

Play football
???
Profit

with this offense, I think you just have to play good defense. I don't think there's much else to say. 1) Solid pass rush 2) stop the run and 3) defend the pass. Like the Saints last year, the Pats have a lot of targets, a good running game, and a solid offensive line. It's hard to develop a "blueprint" to defeating an offense like that, unless they just have a bad game and the opposing D has a good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back