Welcome to PatsFans.com

Media Blamed For Making Economic Crisis Worse

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jan 6, 2009.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

This is the latest joke put forth by those who believe only good economic news should be covered by the media! Hell, why print or report the truth at all?

This nut actually believes the media may be liable despite constitutional protections!

77% of Americans blame media for making economic crisis worse

"The US survey of 1000 adults was conducted by Opinion Research Corporation and is statistically representative of the total U.S. population. The survey question: "Do you think the financial press is making the economic crisis worse by projecting fear into people's minds?" While the overall response indicated that 77% of Americans answered YES, here are highlights of note:

Household Incomes:
    $25k - $35k -- 79% answered YES
    $35k - $50k -- 88% answered YES
    $50k - $75k -- 76% answered YES
    $75k - more -- 78% answered YES

"Although statements by the media are protected by the First Amendment, the survey results demonstrate that the public believes that the press bears some responsibility for the lack of confidence in the economy. One would hope that the media would act less out of self-interest in these times of national crisis," said Mr. Scheff, vice chairman and partner with Philadelphia-based law firm Montgomery McCracken Walker & Rhoads."

Radio Business Report/Television Business Report - Voice of the Broadcasting Industry

When you think about it, how can 77% of our population be this stupid? My guess is that people are scared and angry and need to lash out and blame someone or something...so they blame the media.

I guess some want a law passed that says report all good economic news and none of the bad news. Yeh, that would be REAL smart! :rolleyes: The next time there's a war or a massive natural castastrophe the media shouldn't cover it. That way we can act as if it never happened! De-Nile is not just a river in Egypt!

Have you all heard that US auto sales had a GREAT year in 2008? And our financial industry has never been in better shape. Combine that with booming home sales and everyone should feel very confident...so get out there and SPEND...ya bunch of idiots!!!

Hey, maybe we can sue all consumers that have cut back on their spending for treason! After all, aren't they acting against the best interest of the nation? :D
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +260 / 9 / -26

First off 96.92% of the American People do not understand this crisis and look for the easy answers.. secondly it is easy to blame the media, they have become the convenient scapegoat for a while now and it is easier to blame something that is a concept, rather than a person or a group of people. None of this has to do with the greed of Wall Street, it is a figment of the imagination..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Without coming off as a smart aleck, what is your take on it that that the 3.08% who do understand the crisis see it as???
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +260 / 9 / -26

I am part of the 96%.... so it beats me.
  5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

I think if you substituted "easy answers" with "ridiculously stupid, dumb-arse, no-brain, idiotic answers" , your reply would hit the nail on the head! :D
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -2

I'd answer yes too. The media is making it worse. They're absolutely fearmongering the issue. Now, if people could actually understand english, as opposed to just being able to read it, they'd see that the question, and the title, are two different things altogether.

The Question:

"Do you think the financial press is making the economic crisis worse by projecting fear into people's minds?"

The Title:

77% of Americans blame media for making economic crisis worse

The question says NOTHING about who is to blame. The question only asks if the media is making the situation worse by projecting fear. If the media prevents 1% of the population that can spend, from spending, then they are indeed making the situation worse. This goes back to what Ben Stein was saying the other day. The fear mongering is causing people to hoard money, when some really don't have to.
  7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

Obviously the media isn't "Trying" to do anything but report the news. The NATURAL reaction to reading about our economic crisis is fear because it threatens any personal security we've built and threatens the vision of our future.

This is just from reading the FACTS. So it sounds like you're not blaming the media for anything but reporting the news.

I also agree with your breakdown of the article title vs. the question the author asked in his poll...that was an excellent pick-up RW.

Why do you suppose people never blame the media for economic optimism?
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -2

You must forget the coverage in the 90's when the nightly news would show retirees buying vacation homes, and S500 Benz's. The media doesn't just report the news. The media uses the news to sell advertisement time. Like a TV show, the more emotional, dramatic, or eye-popping it is, the more people watch, and the more time it can sell. The media wants a WOW factor. It's how it keeps people tuning in.
  9. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Bingo, no different than when the weatherman predicts some snow and it becomes " the storn of the century" designed to get ratings and have people make french toast (supermarket run on bread, milk, eggs)....
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +260 / 9 / -26

Reminds me of Drudge, who seems to report the weather more than anything else.. a snow flake fell in Palm Springs today... news is agenda driven.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -2

OMFG I can't stand that. Chennel 7 has like 24/7 coverage of 2-4" storms. I mean, WTF, this is New England! Like we're never seen snow before! :mad:
  12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

Man....ever since the Blizzard of '78 people panic like crazy! How old were you when that happened RW? I was 19 and I loved every minute of it. I freakn' LOVE blizzards and don't see them as a time of panic. I see them as exciting as hell! Honestly, when I hear of a huge snowstorm coming, I get as psyched as I did when I was a kid.

I'm also a weather buff. I studied it in college and took several courses in climatology & meteorology. I have the Mt Washington Observatory link in my Favorites!!
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -2

I was 3 years old.
  14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

OK......:confused:

Needless to say you do not share my enthusiasm?:mad:;)

So I'm 16 years older than you....I knew there was a reason I didn't like you! ;)

Actually, 34 is a good age to get married these days. You've had plenty of booty chasing time and your time is up! :D
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  15. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I was 0. But I saw pictures! Tomorrow is the Blizzard of 09, we're supposed to get like 5-10 inches. OMG!!!!! RUN TO THE STORE AND GET WATER AND CANNED BEETS!
  16. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

In a way this survey speakss true but for an opposite reason.

The media LIES about the reality of just how bad things are, and makes it seem like 8Trillion in bailouts will fix things when it only makes things much worse long term.
  17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

On this, we agree Mav. I think Obama's team needs to ask themselves, "what if this doesn't work?" If it doesn't, my greatest fear is that their reaction will be "we gotta spend MORE!"

I hope & pray that Obama is smarter than that.
  18. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I was 19 and in college in upstate NY. I had the Boston Globe mailed to me and got a whole weeks worth, a week later..Everybody who was from Boston sat down and started reading about it...Canton got 40+ inches and I didn't believe it until I saw those pictures of 128................
    I love driving in snow and watching people freak out....
  19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +325 / 3 / -13

Just to let you know...some view people like us as Freaks!:eek:

But I'm the same way. I really wish I had a snowmobile back in '78!!
  20. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Yeah but it's not only because of the snow..........