Welcome to PatsFans.com

Meanwhile, state lawmakers get a 5.5% raise!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jan 7, 2009.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Disgusting beyond words...

Legislators in line for 5.5 percent raise

By Associated Press
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - Added 6h ago

BOSTON — Massachusetts lawmakers are in line to receive a 5.5 percent pay hike, even as they prepare to make deep cuts to state services.

That would lift lawmakers’ base pay from $58,237 to $61,440.

Under a state law approved by voters in 1998, lawmakers’ pay rises or falls every two years in sync with the state’s median household income.

The law requires the governor to determine the change to the household income at the start of each two-year legislative session.

Gov. Deval Patrick sent a letter to state Treasurer Timothy Cahill today saying he’d determined the increase to be 5.5 percent.

The timing is politically awkward as the state grapples with tumbling revenues and lawmakers face the prospect of slashing spending.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,353 / 10 / -7

#75 Jersey

"Under a state law approved by voters in 1998, lawmakers’ pay rises or falls every two years in sync with the state’s median household income."

I know it's easy to have a knee-jerk reaction, but did you miss the line above? Guess what? If the Massachusetts median household income falls over the two years of the next period measurement, so will the Legislators' pay.

What's your beef?

Social Security recipients are getting a ONE year increase of 5.8% this month.

Also, most Pike toll-takers make more than that......and don't get me started on the number of "Boston's Finest" pulling in over 100k.

Don't take your eye off the ball. There are bigger priority complaints on the fiscal front.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,078 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Well then lawmakers pay to go down 10% sounds very PATRIOTIC to me.

4. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,353 / 10 / -7

#75 Jersey

If the Commonwealth's median income decreases 10% of the next two year measurement period, that's exactly what would happen.

Like I said, somebody is trying (evidently, very successfully) to get people's eyeballs off of the 200+ Boston cops who pull in over 100k per year, along with Pike toll-takers who shouldn't even exist in their jobs.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Bunch of idiots.. if they had any brains would not let this happen..

6. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,353 / 10 / -7

#75 Jersey

"Under a state law approved by VOTERS in 1998, lawmakers’ pay rises or falls every two years in sync with the state’s median household income."

You're right, sometimes the voting public ARE a bunch of idiots. Just ask Harry Boy how he feels now about his two drunken votes for W. Bush! :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

You can always say no.. would look rather heroic in this day and age..

8. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,353 / 10 / -7

#75 Jersey

Dude, they were making 58K, they're making 61k now. You want perspective? They are making less than the State House unionized bathroom plumbers. Over two years, they are receiving LESS of an increase than SS recipients are getting for ONE year.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread you'd see there are much bigger fish to fry to help the Commonwealth. It is THOSE interests that are intent on you falling for the "Look at that shiny thing in the corner" trick.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

A buddy of mine who works for the DOR hasn't had a cost of living increase cuz of budget issues, but hey, those state reps sure deserve one. Why is it that some state employees don't get a raise, but our beloved politicians do? I know, I know, it's only a couple grand, so what's the big deal.

My property taxes should be dropping any day now. Right Deval? :rolleyes:

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I would find it difficult to be upset over a 2 YEAR $3K+ raise for our legislators. Shmessy is right, the salaries to be upset about are those of state workers (especially state police) who make more than our representatives.

Pretty stupid to be upset about this if you ask me....even if you don't ask me!:D

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

A symbolic gesture is better than just being a sheeple and saying oh well it is the law.. some should lead by example..

12. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,353 / 10 / -7

#75 Jersey

Because the public voted for it.

Once again, if the median Commonwealth income goes down over the next 2 year measuring period, the State Reps' salaries will match that decrease.

What's so hard?

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Ever heard of principle? Seriously, when you're laying off people, not giving cost of living increases to other state employees, and hollaring to anyone who'll listen, about how bad the situation is, you don't go accept a 5.5% raise. If the situation is so grave, then these losers should let the state keep it. 160 members are going to get a 5.5% increase. If that's $3k apiece, that's half a million dollars worth of tax payer money. Here they are raising taxes, and fees, & cutting services, nevermind laying off people with families, and they're accpeting a half a mill in extra cash. I know though, what's a couple a bucks for the people who've done such a wonderfull job running the state eh?

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

A-*******-men.

GOP rep refuses lawmaker pay hike

By Hillary Chabot
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 - Updated 1m ago

One Republican lawmaker has already refused a pricey 5.5 percent pay increase for state legislators Gov. Deval Patrick recommended yesterday, saying the raise is a slap in the face to struggling families.

The hike would raise legislators’ base pay from $58,237 to $61,440, even as they consider slashing millions from the state budget.

“I cannot in good conscience accept a raise in legislative pay when there are so many families across the state who cannot afford to meet their household expenses,” said Rep. Karyn Polito (R-Shrewsbury) in a statement.

“I believe the $640,600 in additional pay for legislators could be better spent if it were devoted to offsetting toll increases, increasing local aid and paying for other services that would benefit the people we represent.”

GOP rep refuses lawmaker pay hike - BostonHerald.com

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Good example, not fair for all the other folks in the commonwealth to have to tighten their belts and have these guys get a raise, even though it is probably politically motivated.. but then again what isn't???

16. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,353 / 10 / -7

#75 Jersey

What a hero.

Not to burst your bubble there, RW, but it doesn't look like she relies too much on that "huge" $61k State Rep salary.

Karyn Polito Campaign Contributions and Donations -- Huffington Post

Not too "fair" to the other Reps who don't own their Development Corporations!

17. Synovia

Synovia In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Except, according to the stats, "other folks in the commonwealth" are making 5% more RIGHT NOW than they were 2 eyars ago. Why should everyone else get a raise, and the legislaters not?

18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

When you lead, and ask others to make sacrifices.. those sacrifices should start with yourself... it is not about her means, is it about being a principalled person..

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

She could be a zillionare for all I care. When these bums are on TV, and in the press, talking about how dire the situation is, and freezing raises for people just like them, i.e. STATE EMPLOYEES, then they should freeze their salaries too. It's total BS if you ask me. Why is it that the state reps need the raise to survive, but other state employees don't? It's all BS I tell ya. The sooner the gubmit goes bankrupt the better.

Raise my tolls & taxes while you hand yourself $640k in raises. LOLOLOLOL!!!

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Cuz people working in the private sector aren't the ones raising my taxes, and my tolls, or telling me that the gubmit is broke. If my boss tells me I can't get a raise cuz business is "dire", then rolls up in a brand new Benz, to show me his new Rolex, then we'd be talking apples and apples.