PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McShay's Two Round Mock: DE Chandler Jones, DT Kendall Reyes, C P. Konz, S B. Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think this deserved its own thread, so I'll just link it here:

What we learned from McShay - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

There's a lot of stuff here with which I agree:
- DE/OLB types should be avail. into the 3rd round; no excuse for Bill not to grab one of them,
because there is nobody - exc. Andre Carter - in free agency who can help us Kill the QB.
- Still a chance that Barron slips to 27, though it's not a good one. On Path to the Draft,
Casserly & Lombardi both liked him a a mid-1st-rounder.
- The value at WR runs from late 2nd to the end of the 3rd round; this is where Bill should grab one.
- Upshaw to the Jesters? Could be, because I feel that he'll still be on the board at 16.
- Another 2nd/3rd-round value zone is CB. If we can't get Barron, then I wouldn't mind
Trumaine Johnson at 63 as a CB-FS convert, or Harrison Smith at 48.
- If McShay has 4-5 Safeties in the 3rd-4th-round range, then he must be thinking of CB-FS converts
like Josh Robinson, Josh Norman, Omar Bolden, Casey Heyward & Jamell Fleming.
- Brockers might look like Seymour, but will he play like Seymour? I'd rather let another team
find out for themselves.
- The players who might go in the 9-12 range also might be riskier than those going
in the 17-20 range, or even 20-24 (which is where I wished we were).

Chandler Jones and Peter Konz should have both stayed in school. I don't want either. Chandler Jones ran a very slow 40 and needs to work on his upper body strength. Peter Konz needs to work on his upper body strength.

Brandon Taylor is taken a round or two rounds too early.

Your comment about Taylor is a familiar refrain around these parts come draft day. So, don't be surprised. He's not flashy, but I like his coverage ability. He was also a captain I believe. I think Chandler Jones has the potential to play 3-4 DE, but he's about 25 pounds too light. Might be a good project pick, but not in the first.

It's insider content so for those of you who are signed up, here's the link. For those of you who aren't, I don't feel it right to republish it in full, but if you want to see the full mock, here's a link to someone less scrupulous than my good self :)

On to the Patriots picks:

I'm not a fan of this at all, the only pick I really like is Kendall Reyes. I don't think BB will go OLB in the first, and if he did, there's many I like more than Chandler Jones. I've just never got behind Peter Konz as a pick, I think there's better value to be had at the position later (Philip Blake) and Brandon Taylor looks to be picked a round or two too early.

One thing to note, McShay has Devon Still going #46 overall to the Eagles. Hmmm.
This is a terrible draft. Jones and Reyes are second round picks and they are both project players. I don't know how Knoz will fall into the 2nd round pick but this years stock of centers stinks. Brandon Taylor is a 3rd or 4th round.

I didn't think this deserved its own thread, so I'll just link it here:

What we learned from McShay - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

There's a lot of stuff here with which I agree:
- DE/OLB types should be avail. into the 3rd round; no excuse for Bill not to grab one of them,
because there is nobody - exc. Andre Carter - in free agency who can help us Kill the QB.
- Still a chance that Barron slips to 27, though it's not a good one. On Path to the Draft,
Casserly & Lombardi both liked him a a mid-1st-rounder.
- The value at WR runs from late 2nd to the end of the 3rd round; this is where Bill should grab one.
- Upshaw to the Jesters? Could be, because I feel that he'll still be on the board at 16.
- Another 2nd/3rd-round value zone is CB. If we can't get Barron, then I wouldn't mind
Trumaine Johnson at 63 as a CB-FS convert, or Harrison Smith at 48.
- If McShay has 4-5 Safeties in the 3rd-4th-round range, then he must be thinking of CB-FS converts
like Josh Robinson, Josh Norman, Omar Bolden, Casey Heyward & Jamell Fleming.
- Brockers might look like Seymour, but will he play like Seymour? I'd rather let another team
find out for themselves.
- The players who might go in the 9-12 range also might be riskier than those going
in the 17-20 range, or even 20-24 (which is where I wished we were).

Talk about restating the obvious, there's nothing new here. This forum has better draft analysis than what McShay offered up except he get's paid.

Very true! Right after the draft was over, I remember reading someone (I forget who asked the question) on Patsfans asking "Did we just draft Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice?" Priceless! To be fair, I thought it was a good draft too, but I wasn't willing to go that far! :)
I'm ready to fall on my sword in a ritualistic suicide.

I really thought Maroney was the real deal. Now I hold him largely responsible for our first SB loss to the Giants where he allowed himself to be armtackled by diving LBers.

And let's face it, Chad Jackson had all the measurables to inspire a lot of confidence.

This is not a science, that's for sure.

I really thought Maroney was the real deal. Now I hold him largely responsible for our first SB loss to the Giants where he allowed himself to be armtackled by diving LBers.

And let's face it, Chad Jackson had all the measurables to inspire a lot of confidence.

Bravo! on your bravery.

And that's what we get for IBWT.

Never again.

In the words of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman. "Choke yourself McShay"

I hated the Maroney pick I was drooling for deangelo or Manny Lawson, or Chad Jackson.

I remember the Jackson pick like it was yesterday, I was pining that he was still available and yelling to the tv and my friends that the Patriots trade up to get him.
When the Packers were up to pick and it said the pick was traded I immediately got excited and when I saw the flying elvis on screen I was almost speechless,
and when they showed him on the phone talking to the Patriots i seriously cheered and danced.
I then ordered all the Chad Jackson gear I could find, at least 10 autographed rookie cards, Jeresys, a autographed helmet, I told all my friends he was going to be better than Moss and Rice, I honestly did and i'm not afraid to admit it.
His best game was against the Vikings I believe he had like 97 yds and 2 tds I truly believe it was his injury and his lack of maturity that prevented what could be.

Ta'amu is pretty mobile for a Hutt, and his value as a 2nd rounder is good. I'm just not sure BB would buy into him as a 3-4 DE, and we've got No Vacancy at DT.

DT or NT? Wilfork played a good deal at DE last year and had a lot of production there.

If we play the 4-3 (then we could use him), if we play the 3-4 then we could use him in rotation, and even more if Vince plays more time at DE.

Let me bring you back from the dead.

If Colvin hadn't been hurt:

1. Pats likely win the 2006 AFC Championship - which means the 2006 SB
2. No signing of AT, more money for professional help at DB, we win 2007 SB as well.
3. Probably get into the 2008 playoffs as well and who knows?

Maroney and Jackson become after thoughts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey