PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McShay's Two Round Mock: DE Chandler Jones, DT Kendall Reyes, C P. Konz, S B. Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
It's insider content so for those of you who are signed up, here's the link. For those of you who aren't, I don't feel it right to republish it in full, but if you want to see the full mock, here's a link to someone less scrupulous than my good self :)

On to the Patriots picks:

Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
Jones is one of the most underrated prospects in the entire 2012 class and just the kind of versatile defender Bill Belichick likes. Jones is long and athletic and can play end in an odd or even front, maybe even some outside linebacker in 3-4 looks.

Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut
Reyes is a versatile talent who hasn't yet played to his potential, but he is a smart player who could thrive in this scheme and with this organization.

Peter Konz, OC, Wisconsin

Brandon Taylor, S ,LSU

I'm not a fan of this at all, the only pick I really like is Kendall Reyes. I don't think BB will go OLB in the first, and if he did, there's many I like more than Chandler Jones. I've just never got behind Peter Konz as a pick, I think there's better value to be had at the position later (Philip Blake) and Brandon Taylor looks to be picked a round or two too early.

One thing to note, McShay has Devon Still going #46 overall to the Eagles. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the Konz pick. Not sure what I think of Jones, but he's interesting. His 40 time was just OK but his 3 cone was very good, better than McClellin and Mecilus and both his long and high jump were among the best of the DL (which included many of the DL-OLB conversions). FWIW, Nawrocki of ProFootballWeekly also has Jones as a first round pick. I'm just lost right now about exactly what kind of front seven guys we're likely to take. I also like the Reyes pick.

Sounds about right. Draft the teammates of guys who were good in college to solve the pass rush :p.

Interesting to see Perry (USC) fall to the 2nd round there. Other mocks seem to have him going top 20.

The Jones pick is weird and I think just a shock type pick. He was really stiff in the LB drills at the combine so I can't see him as a first rounder.

What is the consensus on this board about Alameda Ta'amu? I've read he can be a good 3-4 or 4-3 NT but I've read very little about him on these boards. I'm guessing people don't like him?

McShay has him going the pick after Konz at #49 to the Chargers.

Ta'amu is pretty mobile for a Hutt, and his value as a 2nd rounder is good. I'm just not sure BB would buy into him as a 3-4 DE, and we've got No Vacancy at DT.

If Konz is there at 48 that will be value! I'd be all for taking him in the first round so if he falls into the second then it's almost a no brainer for me.

It's insider content so for those of you who are signed up, here's the link. For those of you who aren't, I don't feel it right to republish it in full, but if you want to see the full mock, here's a link to someone less scrupulous than my good self :)

On to the Patriots picks:

I'm not a fan of this at all, the only pick I really like is Kendall Reyes. I don't think BB will go OLB in the first, and if he did, there's many I like more than Chandler Jones. I've just never got behind Peter Konz as a pick, I think there's better value to be had at the position later (Philip Blake) and Brandon Taylor looks to be picked a round or two too early.

One thing to note, McShay has Devon Still going #46 overall to the Eagles. Hmmm.

Not sure I agree with any of these.

Reyes is a 2nd rounder in every piece I have read about him.

Konz is an injury waiting to happen. We were down three centers last year. Phillip Blake in Round Three might be a better value and can play Center and Guard. Not sure Konz made a complete year at Wisconsin. Good player but out too much.

Jones is a late 2nd early 3rd.

And I agree Taylor is one round too early.

It appears that McShay wanted the Patriots to stretch on every pick for amusement.

Well, it get's people to read this Mock and comment so he accomplished what he wanted.
DW Toys

Last edited:

Still didn't finish his season as well as he started. Him and the PSU defense were playing outstanding 8-1. Only loss to Alabama. And, they played well that day considering they were on the field the whole game. PSU offense couldn't move the ball at all. Sandusky story broke on the saturday of their bye week. It was impossible for anyone associated with the program to be focused after that. Joepa fired. The Nebraska game was more like a funeral service than a game. Defense played ok though. They traveled to OSU the next week and played pretty good. Won at Columbus. Still didn't play that great. He got the flu that week and didn't play as much as he usually does and missed the whole week of practice headed to the Wisconsin. The whole team and himself played awful at Madison. The team was disappointed in their bowl game. Thought they should have had a better one, but it's easy to see why they were overlooked from the outside. Inside. They were disappointed. The coaching staff didn't have them ready to play against Houston. There were so many distractions after the Sandusky news hit. I would give those guys a mulligan on how they finished the season. Throw in his bout with the flu and he's being downgraded if you only look at the film but not the whole story.

1. How did the Pats do after Chuck Fairbanks left?

2. How did the Pats do at the Super Bowl when everyone knew Parcells was leaving?

Even professionals are distracted by mid/late season changes in coaching. I think he's a first round pick. Easier to project him at dt because that's where he played. But, I feel he can play a 3-4 LDE and become a similiar player to Ty Warren.

Chandler Jones and Peter Konz should have both stayed in school. I don't want either. Chandler Jones ran a very slow 40 and needs to work on his upper body strength. Peter Konz needs to work on his upper body strength.

Brandon Taylor is taken a round or two rounds too early.

Not sure I agree with any of these.

Reyes is a 2nd rounder in every piece I have read about him.

Konz is an injury waiting to happen. We were down three centers last year. Phillip Blake in Round Three might be a better value and can play Center and Guard. Not sure Konz made a complete year at Wisconsin. Good player but out too much.

Jones is a late 2nd early 3rd.

And I agree Taylor is one round too early.

It appears that McShay wanted the Patriots to stretch on every pick for amusement.

Well, it get's people to read this Mock and comment so he accomplished what he wanted.
DW Toys

I'm in agreement, exc. for maybe the Kendall Reyes take. He'a a borderline 1st-rounder, dep. on
scheme & need. I'd rather have him for the Pats then Devon Still, though I prob. wouldn't complain
if Still were picked at 31, should Reyes be already gone.

The question for me at 27 is: Can Andre Branch become a 1st-round-calibre DE/OLB for the NEP,
more than the others at that position, and more than anybody else at their own positions
(esp. on Defense)?

If the answer is Yes, then he should be the choice at 27. Chandler Jones is just awful value at 27;
I wouldn't begin to consider him until at least 48.

If the answer is No, then my choice would be Reyes. (I understand that he was picked at 31,
but I would have no problem picking him at 27 either.)

I wouldn't be shocked if, in this 1-30 scenario, Bill uses 31 to draft Kevin Zeitler, who could be
our Guard of the Future either on the Right or on the Left, should Mankins' performance in 2013
& beyond prove unworthy of his salary. Zeitler could also perhaps learn to play Center; it's this
versatility that makes him a better prospect than Peter Konz, who seems more Center-only than
Zeitler seems Guard-only. Konz, however, would be good value at 48; the only problem with McShay's
mock there is that we still haven't filled our OLB/DE need of the Urgent kind.
Chandler Jones is a huge project (think Chicken-Legs Crable); Vinny Curry, Shea McClellin and
Ronnell Lewis are all still avail., and one of them would provide more immed. impact than Konz.

Last edited:
Tod McShay must HATE the Patriots to give them that 2 round draft.

Chandler Jones is just awful value at 27;
I wouldn't begin to consider him until at least 48.

Agreed, from the limited footage of him I've seen he's the slowest of the entire D-line off the snap.

I think a lot of these "experts" just throw crap against the wall, reach for players, or do something totally obscure because they have no idea what Belichick will do. I'm surprised he didn't give us somebody like Coryell Judie at 27.

Not a fan of the Konz pick. Not sure what I think of Jones, but he's interesting. His 40 time was just OK but his 3 cone was very good, better than McClellin and Mecilus and both his long and high jump were among the best of the DL (which included many of the DL-OLB conversions). FWIW, Nawrocki of ProFootballWeekly also has Jones as a first round pick. I'm just lost right now about exactly what kind of front seven guys we're likely to take. I also like the Reyes pick.

BB would flip if Konz was still there in the second....or so you would think....I thought he was first round material....

This is pretty much what every post-draft thread looks like... so McShay has struck a chord in terms of realism. I give him credit for not reading every other mock draft out there and copying what they think. This was a pretty honest assessment, entirely his own.

I'm not a fan of this draft class, including Reyes, but it does have a ring of truth. We have never figured out what BB is looking for in his DE/OLB prospects, they've been all over the place.

Mankins, McCourty, Solder... they were all unexpected. The real surprise will be if he actually drafts players we have on our radar like Barron and Still. In fact, it would shock the hell out of me.

The only BB draft class that this board really loved was headlined by Lawrence Moroney and Chad Jackson; and that worked out so well.

The only BB draft class that this board really loved was headlined by Lawrence Moroney and Chad Jackson; and that worked out so well.

Very true! Right after the draft was over, I remember reading someone (I forget who asked the question) on Patsfans asking "Did we just draft Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice?" Priceless! To be fair, I thought it was a good draft too, but I wasn't willing to go that far! :)

I'll admit I have never seen Jones play as I watch mostly SEC and PAC 12. Certainly not Syracuse.

But as an inch taller and 7 pounds heavier than Branch at the combine and 2 inches taller and 5 pounds heavier than Mercilus, Jones beat both at the 3 cone. He also has long arms and had one of the best VJ among DL. Jones was slower in the 40 and his shuttle time and bench were below average. I have given up trying to guess which DL/OLB Bill likes but athletically Jones sits right in there with Branch, Mercilus, McClellan, etc.

McShay's mocks suck. They're often just a fairy tale draft of everyone picking need with a few shocker picks thrown in so he can try to look like a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down