PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McShay/Lombardi/Banks Mocks: Shea McClellin, Courtney Upshaw, Vinny Curry at #27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronkandez

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I'm posting these all as a one-stop shopping place for today's relevant mocks

McShay (insider content) was posted by Reiss

His picks for the Patriots:

27. OLB Shea McClellin (Boise State)
31. S Harrison Smith (Notre Dame)
48. DL Kendall Reyes (UConn)
62. CB Casey Hayward (Vanderbilt)
93. G James Brown (Troy)
126. RB Edwin Baker (Michigan State)

McShay goes the full 7 in mock - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Don Banks CNNSI Mock
27 DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw Alabama Sr. 6-2 265 (From New Orleans). If the Patriots stay in this slot, they'd be an ideal landing spot for the sliding Upshaw, who once seemed destined for the top 12. There's confusion about where he'll wind up playing in the NFL, but that's exactly how Bill Belichick likes it when it comes to his front seven players. I have to imagine Belichick has learned all he needs to about Upshaw from his good buddy, Nick Saban.
31 QB Brandon Weeden Oklahoma State Sr. 6-4 218 (Trade with Patriots). I'm taking my best guess at a first-round trade, and it revolves around the idea that quality quarterbacks always get pushed up into the first round, and New England loves to always trade out of the first round. So you do the math. It all adds up, right? Maybe a third-round pick from Cleveland gets it done (in addition to its No. 37 pick of the second round), and that gets the Browns an immediate dose of quarterback competition for Colt McCoy.

Read more: 2012 NFL mock draft has Andrew Luck at top, Brandon Weeden in first round - Don Banks - SI.com

2012 NFL mock draft has Andrew Luck at top, Brandon Weeden in first round - Don Banks - SI.com

Mike Lombardi NFL.COM Mock

PICK NO.
27 VINNY CURRY DE MARSHALL
Bill Belichick must find a pass rusher.

BRANDON WEEDEN QBOKLAHOMA ST.
Expect this pick to be traded, with the Browns or Broncos coming in to take Weeden.

2012 NFL Mock Drafts : Pats to deal No. 31 to QB-needy team?

Last edited:
All indications are that the pass rushers are going early - that makes Lombardi's mock perhaps the most realistic. Personally I wouldn't mind any of those three with the first pick.

Why does everyone have the Browns taking Weeden?

If they aren't willing to use a pick on Tannehill, why would they trade up for Weeden?

They could also trade down from #22 and take Weeden, instead of trading up to get him.

I'd have to say that none of the three are that appealing, though I can make peace with Lombardi's.

McShay: I don't see a difference-maker. Maybe Kendall Reyes can be one, who knows. Shea McClellin is way overrated, and Harrison Smith (as a ND fan)...well, lt's just say that covering anything moving is not his strength. Casey Hayward's a fine prospect.

Banks: Courtney Upshaw - if you're on a defence that's as stacked as Alabama's was and you don't get double digit sacks, you're not elite. Hightower's better.

Lombardi: I think Vinny Curry could be had later, but Lombardi predicts a run at DE/OLB (Perry at 18?). Most of my targets are gone by 27 in his mock.

Why does everyone have the Browns taking Weeden?

If they aren't willing to use a pick on Tannehill, why would they trade up for Weeden?

They could also trade down from #22 and take Weeden, instead of trading up to get him.
Lack of imagination. Everyone said the same thing about last year's pick at #33.

At the same time, it would be a good haul for the Browns, on paper, to get their RB, WR and QB all in one round. If they wait to get Weeden in the 2nd round and someone else beats them to it they're S.O.L. McCoy is decent but they need to start developing their QB of the future now.

Last edited:
How exactly are the Bronco's a QB-needy team? Wasn't there some big thing in the news about some veteren, future HOF QB signing with the Bronco's recently? I can see them picking up a back up/future replacement later in the draft. But certainly not trading multiple picks into the first round to get a 29 year old rookie.

I'd have to say that none of the three are that appealing, though I can make peace with Lombardi's.

McShay: I don't see a difference-maker. Maybe Kendall Reyes can be one, who knows. Shea McClellin is way overrated, and Harrison Smith (as a ND fan)...well, lt's just say that covering anything moving is not his strength. Casey Hayward's a fine prospect.

Banks: Courtney Upshaw - if you're on a defence that's as stacked as Alabama's was and you don't get double digit sacks, you're not elite. Hightower's better.

Lombardi: I think Vinny Curry could be had later, but Lombardi predicts a run at DE/OLB (Perry at 18?). Most of my targets are gone by 27 in his mock.

I think Upshaw was the best defender on the Alabama defense the past two seasons. However his arms are a bit short and at 279 pounds, where do we play him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes