PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McNabb To Be Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see if the Texans go after him. Or maybe people around the league just think he's done.

Gary Kubiac is one of the better Offensive minds in football and a disciple of Mike Shanahan. If McDonalds couldn't run the Redskins Offense he CANNOT! run the Texans Offense. McDonalds = dumb as bricks.

McNabb is terrible people. Not even an NFL caliber QB anymore.

Time to hang up the cleats Donovan.

McNab's plight brings to mind the value of Any Reid's coaching. For a decade, McNabb was considered one of the top QB's in the league. Not in the Brady and Manning class, but certainly in the next tier.

The moment he leaves Philly and Reid his production falls off the face of the earth....in TWO places. He's been benched in TWO places where the alternative to him both were horrible. Grossman isn't good enough to keep John Beck on the bench, and TJackson has been a serial failure his entire career, yet both were considered better options than the fading McNab.

That should tell you something about Reid's influence on McNab, because there is no way he could have regressed so quickly physically from 2 years ago. The cause of his horrible play is much more the effect of his mind than his body.

That being said, I liked McNab and thought he had a great run with Philly. I'm hoping he gets to Chicago to end his career with the "hometown team"

Last edited:
Kinda shows the stupidity of the contract offer the Redskins made with him last year.

McNabb is really, really, really washed up. Nobody will sign him.

Should there really be any demand for McNabb? I mean, we all remember the great things he did for Philly, but look at the colassal failure he has been for other teams.

Fool me once, shame on you!

Fool me twice, shame on the Vikes.

Fool me thrice, call me the (Bears?).

Sometimes it is best to just quit, while some folks still have a good memory.. rather than continue on making a fool of yourself.

I don't think Donovan has gotten anywhere near to the "making a fool of himself" stage. He's still better than several starting QB's and he's probably capable of playing respectably as a backup or emergency starter for another two or three seasons.

McNab's plight brings to mind the value of Any Reid's coaching. For a decade, McNabb was considered one of the top QB's in the league. Not in the Brady and Manning class, but certainly in the next tier.

The moment he leaves Philly and Reid his production falls off the face of the earth....in TWO places. He's been benched in TWO places where the alternative to him both were horrible. Grossman isn't good enough to keep John Beck on the bench, and TJackson has been a serial failure his entire career, yet both were considered better options than the fading McNab.

That should tell you something about Reid's influence on McNab, because there is no way he could have regressed so quickly physically from 2 years ago. The cause of his horrible play is much more the effect of his mind than his body.

That being said, I liked McNab and thought he had a great run with Philly. I'm hoping he gets to Chicago to end his career with the "hometown team"

McNabb was benched in WAS to give Shanahan the illusion of being in control. Wasn't McNabb on pace to break redskins passing records?

As for the Vikings, most losing teams will do some kind of major shakeup midseason, especially if they have a rookie QB to start evaluating for the next season. Oh, this is also in response to your comment about Tavaris Jackson being a failure, he's in Seattle, not Minn. McNabb was benched because the Vikings are going nowhere and they need to see if their rookie QB is worth keeping.

Expecting a QB to succeed with either of those teams is kind of dumb, both had coaching changes just before his arrival, both have awful WR corps (WAS is just plain bad, and the vikings jettisoned their #1, the #2 can't stay healthy, and the #3 has since been cut), WAS had no running game and he had no offseason with the Vikings.

The guy hasn't had much help in the past 2 years.

Edit: I do agree though, he should just hang up his cleats, he's had an above average career. It's just too bad that he spent most of it with a team that treated him as poorly as they did, when he was one of the best things to ever happen to them.

Last edited:
I bet it's pretty tough for a veteran declining QB that is accustomed to winning going to a crappy or rebuilding team. They try to do too much, get frustrated, or whatever. What worked for them for years all of a sudden is the wrong thing to do entirely.

From my eyes, he looks like he's lost some physical skills, AND he's lost some of his mental sharpness and decision making. For a QB of his level, one or the other might be acceptable, both not both. And so here he is looking for a new gig.

That said, I agree with the few posters that think he might still have something in the tank. It's just a question if he lands in the right situation; get's excited again, focuses, plays within his limits and buys into the team concept (which I admit might be the tough part for him). If I was a QB-less playoff hopeful team, I'd at least consider it. What would it hurt to bring him in and test the waters. You could catch lightning in a bottle.

McNabb is a lazy unmotivated player who hasn't been in shape in 3 years.

Honestly, I dunno why anyone would want him at this point. He was toast a couple of years ago. He was always known for being out of shape and not really working on his game, and that all caught up to him. The Bears might take a look at him, which is more a statement on Hanie than anything, but even the Texans, I think, might be better off with what they have. Maybe he's a better backup than Jake Delhomme?

If McNabb is smart he will sign as a second string on a possible ring team, like GB or even NE. A rings a ring and he can contribute with experience and being a good team mate, Like did Brunell did. Sometimes you need to put your ego aside and realize it over, you had your shot.

More of the Reid fallacy. McNabb was actually pretty good back in the day when he had wheels. But times change and wheels start to wobble and all you have to fall back on is arm strength and mindnumbingly lousy judgement. He was talented when Reid got him and while that led to some early success he also fell apart on Reid's watch. As is/will Vick. Even Young (whom Reid clearly can't rehab even temporarily) had talent. Kolb...apparently not so much...:rolleyes: Anybody watch the game last night and see that Eagles hurry up offense...oh wait, that's right, the Eagles still don't have a hurry up seven years after the need for one was beaten into them...Way to coach 'em up, Andy...

If Donovan's got any genuine pride and not just that out of touch with reality ego driven wounded pride that was always his downfall, he won't listen to Warner's hang in there it's not you it's them babble. He will just go home and retain some dignity and raise his young family... Andy Reid's QB's go about as far and last as long as their talents will take them... And since the real genius on the Eagles coaching staff on the other side of the ball passed away, that hasn't been very far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back