PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McKenzie signs, Tank Williams released

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots started training camp with more than two dozen

players whose contracts expired after 2009. They have addressed

the situation by extending players, trading players, and cutting players.

They also seem to have started camp with several players named Hochstein, all of whom were traded to the Broncos today.

As soon as the ink is dry on McKenzie's contract, he will be

put on injured reserve.
Why not PUP? That will allow him to practice with the team for 3 weeks.

Man, I was really hoping Tank would prove useful. The whole concept of using him as a hybrid was intriguing and would have confused the heck out of some offenses. Ah well.

Since there is no downside financially, no restrictions, to PUP, it probably makes sense to place him on PUP, even if just to allow him on the field for three weeks mid-season. Then transfer him to IR at that point.

Since there is no downside financially, no restrictions, to PUP, it probably makes sense to place him on PUP, even if just to allow him on the field for three weeks mid-season. Then transfer him to IR at that point.

Actually, there is a downside, financially, to the PUP. The downside is that the kid's contract will count against the salary cap. So, that's money the Pats have to set aside for the kid. Granted, they should have it, but its still money that's set aside. Also, whether its the IR or the PUP, the hit will be the same...

The only positive is that he'll not count against the active roster... And that will allow him to participate in the film room discussions and get his therapy through the Pats facility.

Last edited:
It's too bad to hear about Williams, the whole LB/Safety experiment was interesting when it was reported at training camp last year.

It's too bad to hear about Williams, the whole LB/Safety experiment was interesting when it was reported at training camp last year.

From all reports he was doing well last year until injured. Never seemed to make much of an impact this year.

Not surprised...Tank just did not fit in as well this time around...

what a bummer the Tank never made it, as much as I thought it wouldn't be a problem with him filling the role of that hybrid S/ILB, I sorta forgot about him. Now he's cut. Guess we're dumping dead weight !

Actually, there is a downside, financially, to the PUP. The downside is that the kid's contract will count against the salary cap. So, that's money the Pats have to set aside for the kid. Granted, they should have it, but its still money that's set aside. Also, whether its the IR or the PUP, the hit will be the same...

The only positive is that he'll not count against the active roster... And that will allow him to participate in the film room discussions and get his therapy through the Pats facility.

I'm not sure what your point was on this one.

Yes, the PUP contract will count against the cap. But so will an IR contract.
So, whether PUP or IR, the cap impact is the same. So, there is no financial downside to the decision to place McKenzie on PUP vs. IR.

Your next comment, however, agrees with that point, so I'm not certain what you were arguing. Unless you were arguing for an injury settlement and release.

To restate, whether PUP or IR, the cap cost is the same. Might as well go PUP and defer the decision. The likely outcome is IR, but there's a bit more flexibility -- and subterfuge.

As much as i liked Tank as a Tenn Titan and defended him on this board, even i'll admit he wasnt showing us much. I was watching the Bengals game yesterday, and kept thinking that it appeared like Tank was struggling. Oh well.

Had high hopes for Tank, this says something about our depth...

Very good news on McKenzie. I can't wait to see what he brings to the table (probably next season). I hope Tank didn't get injured when we released him like that.

I'm not sure what your point was on this one.

Yes, the PUP contract will count against the cap. But so will an IR contract.
So, whether PUP or IR, the cap impact is the same. So, there is no financial downside to the decision to place McKenzie on PUP vs. IR.

Your next comment, however, agrees with that point, so I'm not certain what you were arguing. Unless you were arguing for an injury settlement and release.

To restate, whether PUP or IR, the cap cost is the same. Might as well go PUP and defer the decision. The likely outcome is IR, but there's a bit more flexibility -- and subterfuge.
I agree with you on this, that there is no downside to PUP. Either way, his salary is paid. He was a third round pick, who got hurt the first OTA. I cannot imagine they saw enough in a hour of OTA to decide that he is uncoachable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back