PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McGowan or Chung 3rd safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of man-to-man, on an island like last night, Chung will likely cover guys in the slot. Do you seriously not believe that part of BB isolating him on a guy like Sinorice Moss wasn't another example of Belichick testing a guy's weaknesses in a game that doesn't count? How many times does he have to do this EVERY YEAR in the pre-season before we don't go off wildly speculating about how crappy a player someone is?

No one is actually suggesting - or intended to - that Chung WILL NEVER COVER ANYBODY. It's simply that the role he was put in last night was clearly, OBVIOUSLY not the role he will typically play. Does he need work on his coverage skills - YES. But we knew that coming in. In terms of other aspects of his game, Chung has looked up and down, but not nearly as "down" as you seem to suggest.

Let's line Rodney up against Sinorice Moss running fly patterns down the field and see how he does, and not just when he was older. Geez.

The second touchdown that Chung got beaten for was on a play where Chung was covering the slot receiver. Moss was in the slot.

Geez.

mcgowan was a frickin gift we picked up in the offseason...he is ahead of chung at this point and time..duno y yall r *****in bout mcgowan, he has played starter gooooooood! knock ur f n socks off and pretty dang good in coverage..bears are dumb for keepin steltz over mcgowan

mcgowan was a frickin gift we picked up in the offseason...he is ahead of chung at this point and time..duno y yall r *****in bout mcgowan, he has played starter gooooooood! knock ur f n socks off and pretty dang good in coverage..bears are dumb for keepin steltz over mcgowan

DOn't forget bears play a different defense, coverage 2.

Mayo's don't come every yr. ppl. That's what makes them so special...they are RARE!! :bricks:

I was thinking the same thing too, especially a rookie playing in BB defense.

McGowan has made some really good plays. He stays. Chung looks lost at times, and at others looks like Rodney junior. Well for a flash anyway.

The second touchdown that Chung got beaten for was on a play where Chung was covering the slot receiver. Moss was in the slot.

Geez.

Meanwhile, you get to be disingenuous and ignore the fact that I SAID his coverage skills, just generally, still need to be developed. So, if I'm to take your lead, this is the part where I say that you're suggesting Chung will never be good because he'll sometimes give up touchdowns. Until he stops EVER getting beat for a TD, Chung's a bust!

Not sure why you feel the need to Town Hall this conversation with nonsense nobody's saying, Deus. You're smart enough not to do that, and it's a shame that you continue to.

Its way too early to reach any conclusions on Chung of course. That will take a few years. But so far he he has looked awful, making mistake after mistake. He's dropped not one but two punts, gotten burned several times in coverage, and even missed some tackles, supposedly his strong suit. There hasn't been much to like yet. I don't see how anyone could disagree with what I have just said. It seems like he will start the season at the bottom of the depth chart.

He was made to look bad on the camera. Now look at the plays. He was "picked" by the WR on the first TD. On the second he was playing nickle and poor Matt Slater was suppose to help over the top but he didn't.

So, I give Chung a C for his pre-season but not as bad as others here think he is. I look for him to contribute on ST's but not as a punt returner. He will progress well as the season moves along.

Oh and BTW, McGowen stays.

Also a dreadful penalty -- ran straight into his man. But yes, he will get better. He just has a long way to go.

I agree. The hope is that Chung can be your third safety by the second half of the season. I still have real high hopes for Chung. But for the first half of the season I would go with McGowan.

Well said.

Let me see if I get this right: McGowan seems to be in the right place at the right time because he's a veteran.

And Chung is playing like a rookie because he's a ... rookie ...?

Memories of Wilfork, Warren, Meriweather in their rookie years, and they are ... how good now? Memories of Eugene Wilson in his outstanding rookie year and he is ... where now?

So what exactly is it that we know about Chung?

That's what I thought.

Meanwhile, you get to be disingenuous and ignore the fact that I SAID his coverage skills, just generally, still need to be developed. So, if I'm to take your lead, this is the part where I say that you're suggesting Chung will never be good because he'll sometimes give up touchdowns. Until he stops EVER getting beat for a TD, Chung's a bust!

Not sure why you feel the need to Town Hall this conversation with nonsense nobody's saying, Deus. You're smart enough not to do that, and it's a shame that you continue to.

I wasn't being disingenuous, and you well know it. I was responding to the very first sentence in your post:

In terms of man-to-man, on an island like last night, Chung will likely cover guys in the slot.

Perhaps instead of wasting your time, and mine, defending Chung on a night where he stunk out the joint, you could just concede that he did, in fact, suck in coverage last night. Then, next time, you could read the entire thread. If you do that, you'll see that I posted:

He's a rookie and he'll get better. I bagged on him earlier this thread, but I certainly expect improvement. This coaching staff will work with him and give him the knowledge. The rest will be up to him.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/267607-mcgowan-chung-3rd-safety.html#post1484634

even before you jumped in with your "insane" post and took this down a road it need never have taken.

When Chung improves enough so that he can cover an infant in a crib, I'll look to him as a backup. Right now, I'm praying the team doesn't need one.

he looked as bad as any one will ever look coverering a WR

but he is a SS he should not be and will not be covering WR like Sinorice Moss who can run a 4.2 40 one on one

but still i dont want him starting right now lol

Why would the talk be over? We all understand that #36 cannot cover. Chung wasn't playing Safety. Why Chung was playing nickle inside was beyond me? What was that experiment? I was not impressed. #36 would not have been one bit better. I will vote for #36 doing worse although how? Lets line up #36 one on one with a WR and see what happens. Chung did get a smidge better in the second half.

McGowan has had some moments. Right now I hope BB is combing the cuts for some Safety help or we are in trouble with only Merriweather as a starting type NFL talent until this kids picks it up. They did put a claim in on a Safety last week but someone else was awarded. All you who think we are set a Safety opposite Merriweather, I don't think so.

Another Safety will be brought in this week. Ray V.will not be a Safety and Slater PUP?

DW Toys

You really can't help yourself, can you? No matter how many times you are proven wrong, you just keep coming back.

Obviously BB has a different evaluation of Sanders than you do. Maybe he's crazy, or maybe you just need to cotton on to the fact that your constant and overstated criticism of Sanders is ridiculous.

DW can't help himself. He still hopss that Belichick will sign some castoff and start him instead of Sanders.

The reality is that Sanders and Meriweather are our likely starters for the next 2-3 seasons.

McGowan is the perfect #3 as Chung develops and as Chung shows his value as a special teamer. Personally, I think #34 was a lot to pay for a backup safety and a tops epcial teamer, but the player chosen was a good one. Chung will likely need as much time as Meriweather to develop. I don't think that this is an unreasonable situation at all, especially since there is no pressure for Chung to start or cover any time soon. Even with two injuries at safety, it would be likely McGowan and Springs (or Wilhite) playing safety rather than Chung.

Chung gained valueable experience in this preseason and will continue to do so in every practice and in his limited game experience. In the meantime, he will earn his active status with his special team play, something players like Crable and Wheatley may not be able to do.

You really can't help yourself, can you? No matter how many times you are proven wrong, you just keep coming back.

Obviously BB has a different evaluation of Sanders than you do. Maybe he's crazy, or maybe you just need to cotton on to the fact that your constant and overstated criticism of Sanders is ridiculous.

You are right. I can't help my own opinion as neither can you. I see a weak link with my own eyes and I am not the only one. I hope it is Chung (or McGowan). They have a ways to go. BB let little Jimmy go once already this year.

I know there are NFL experts and media with a lot more knowledge and experience than I, who feel the same way. Want me to show you what were the specific needs for the Pats as rated in the past draft and FA? What was their first pick again?

Overstated? I think not. I have no idea who you are watching. He is mediocre at best and I am sure there are 31 other SS better than he is. I also will never forget the AFC Colts Championship game when I saw a player with absolutely no heart. How do I erase that image Lloyd? I saw a player who was afraid. You and Simon can't make believe on that one Lloyd.

Where has anyone proven me wrong? What the heck are you talking about? It is all your opinion. BB drafted a SS as his first pick. I know you and Simon thought of me that day! He then brings in McGowan. He has had a Safety come in as late as this week. He was in the hunt for FA Sean Jones. Believe me, if he can better that position, your son is a backup but I think he is a reasonable one in all fairness, I will give you that.

Deny this all as proof. Tell me again about how BB is all set and comfortable at SS?

DW Toys

DW can't help himself. He still hopss that Belichick will sign some castoff and start him instead of Sanders.

The reality is that Sanders and Meriweather are our likely starters for the next 2-3 seasons.

McGowan is the perfect #3 as Chung develops and as Chung shows his value as a special teamer. Personally, I think #34 was a lot to pay for a backup safety and a tops epcial teamer, but the player chosen was a good one. Chung will likely need as much time as Meriweather to develop. I don't think that this is an unreasonable situation at all, especially since there is no pressure for Chung to start or cover any time soon. Even with two injuries at safety, it would be likely McGowan and Springs (or Wilhite) playing safety rather than Chung.

Chung gained valueable experience in this preseason and will continue to do so in every practice and in his limited game experience. In the meantime, he will earn his active status with his special team play, something players like Crable and Wheatley may not be able to do.

One could only hope MG.
DW Toys

4. Patrick Chung -- This is tough because Chung was only on the field for special teams, but that's the point. The Patriots were clearly more comfortable using Brandon McGowan as a box safety/psuedo linebacker and as a regular safety in their defense than Chung. It was also notable that when Brandon Meriweather left the game in the first half with an ankle injury, Chung still wasn't used at all on defense. McGowan's role was the position that Rodney Harrison would usually have when Belichick wanted to use a safety as a linebacker. As the draft pick the Patriots got for trading Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel, Chung has to work his way on to the field......Gasper,Boston Globe.

Ahahaha! What?!?

McGowan looks as good as anyone out there. I'm only going by what sticks out and he hustles and hits from what i see.

I wouldn't be surprised if we play some big nickel, or whatever it takes to get some more hitters in the game. Not knockig our LBs, they seemed all right, it's just a numbers game. Speed and hitting need to come from somewhere.

As you know, I am fine with Sanders. Everyone doesn't need to be great. However, I would not be at all disappointed if McGowan got as many reps as Sanders or even started. I think that he was a major addition.

After all, Sanders is certainly a solid #3. :)

One could only hope MG.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes